Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1998 Corolla Engine Belts And Brake Noises...

by andymkuo, May 19, 2005

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding the various belts in the engine (I have a 1998 Corolla VE):

1. When I took my car in for a 60,000 mile maintenance, the dealer mechanic said that my "engine drive belt" was cracked and needs replacement - is this just another name for the timing belt?

2. What is the recommended time for replacing the timing belt? (and the engine drive belt, if it is different from the timing belt?) 60,000 miles? 90,000 miles?

3. When I start the car in the morning, I often hear some clinking noises from under the car when I step on the brake - it sounds like something (connecting rods?) is loose or flexing. However, this noise only appears the first time I step on the brakes after I start my drive - for the rest of the drive, there's no noise when I apply the brakes. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this noise? Could this be something weather- or temperature related?

Your insights would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

Max

Hi Andy, and welcome.

Your 98 has a timing chain, not a timing belt, and no, timing and drive belts are not the same. Timing chains should last the life of the car. If the drive belt (usually called a serpentine belt because of the way it snakes around so many engine parts) hasn't been replaced, yes, it may be time at 60k. Some people's go much earlier than that.

Your brake noise is normal. Most cars do that when you first take off. The pads just get sticky from sitting overnight.

Hi Max,

Thanks a lot for the information...so, what does the serpentine belt drive? Mine looks like it winds around the alternator, plus some other wheels coming out of the engine block. Just curious...

Thanks,

Andy

Besiedes the alternator, the serpentine belt drives the air conditioner and power steering and water pump.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)