Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

My Dealer

by the99contour, May 9, 2005

• 1,424 posts

Rant ON

I've been waiting 13 weeks now for the Corolla I ordered. I've called my dealer at least twenty times in the past two weeks to figure out where in the hell my car is, and they can't tell me anything unless the sales manager is there, which he isn't most of the time. I finally said to them that they couldn't prove to me they'd even ordered the car, and they produced a vin, which somes up as the vehicle I ordered when they look it up in the Toyota computer. So, I called them today, and now they're telling me it'll be in tomorrow, but I'm doubtful. Fortunately, they have a car just like what I ordered on the lot, execpt that it is tan instead of silver and it has no alloy wheels. If my car isn't here by Wednesday, I'm going to call the dealership owner, who is a good friend of my grandmother's and bitch to high heaven until he tells them to give me the car at a deep discount.

I'm sooo pissed at them right now, not because the car is late, but because they have been so useless in getting me any info. They are moving slower than molassas, and I don't have that kind of time anymore.

I've already reported the dealer to Toyota corporate for their lack of professionalism and inability to tell me anything. I'm thinking of calling back and complaining somemore.

Rant OFF

Now, seriously, what would you guys do in my place?

• 55 posts

I would try de-cafe

If they promised delivery on a certain date - I'd hold them to it. No messing around - produce the car, suitability equipped car deeply discounted, or full refund back. I've only had one dealer pull that on me on new car - I gave them one hour to produce the car or refund my money. Eventually they caved and refunded my money. Don't give them an inch or have them put down in writing what they will do if the car you ordered is not delivered on time (discount, free stuff, etc.) All dealerships are different - but keep on them and they will settle on your demands.

Good luck.

• 1,424 posts

I'm pissed enough as it is with them, so I have no intent of being nice with them. I feel that they are being very unprofessional, and so tomorrow, I'm going there and telling them they have until 6:00 pm on Wednesday to produce my car, or I will call the owner, and they won't like what happens. I'm also going to demand that the car be prepped and all the paper work done when I arrive, I'm not waiting around for an hour like my Grandma did last month for them to prepare the paperwork.

On two seperate occasions, they told me the car was coming in. I had no car at school, and so I arranged for someone to come and pick me up and bring me home. On both occasions, they didn't produce the car. I was supposed to have the car before move-out. That didn't happen, so I took my Mom's RAV4 to school because the car was coming in on finals week. That didn't happen either. This whole experience is frustrating, and quite frankly, I don't expect this from a Toyota dealer. I've already reported them to Corporate Toyota, and they didn't seem to be too pleased with what I told them, hopefully Toyota's Zone manager will have a little talk with the sales manager, and they won't ever do this to anyone again.

Unfortunately this is common across all manufacturers.

Of the dozen or so cars that have been 'orderd' by myself (1) and acquaintances of mine over the past 20 years or so, EVERY ONE of them was delivered late. From as little as a couple of weeks late, to a couple of months.

I have even heard of confirmed future build dates being 'changed' and moved to a later date because it did not fit in with the production schedule/plan.

Manufacturers and dealers do not like special orders in the personal vehicle market. They pay a lot of smart people to do a lot of quantitative analysis on the best inventory and production planning based on suppliers and customer demant, and anticipated market trends.

If 'your' car comes in with something wrong (not built to spec, scratches, bad fit and finish etc.) you can't pick another same one off of the lot. You will have to compromise on one from inventory, same as if you had done that to start.

Special order is glamorous and exciting, but I'll never do it again. Just my $.02

My dealer had the upcoming incventory on their web site. They snagged one on-order unit for me and swapped one before arrival with another dealer so I could get the car as I wanted it.

Some special requests can't be done that way and take longer. However, leading you astray and making a definite promise is out of line and needs to be addressed with the owner.

Unfortunately, many dealers will string you along with false promises to keep you from canceling and going elsewhere.

Call the owner today.

Topic List