Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By cooljw, May 6, 2005

(Sorry if this is a repost, I haven't seen these specific questions answered in depth.)

There are two jack points on each side of the car for use with the tire changing jack in the Corolla's trunk.

Q: Is it safe to use your own floor jack or jack stand with these same points? My guess would be not because there is a ridge of metal at these points that looks like it might bend or break if you use anything other than the jack in the trunk with the special contoured receptacle. In which case...

Q: Where are the safe points to use when jacking up one entire side of the car - in case you are rotating the tires on one side for example. If you use the trunk jack at one of the factory designated points, where would you place your floor jack or jack stand? The only other jack points I see in the manual are at the center-front or center-rear of the car, neither of which would safely raise the left or right side of the car at a time (rather they would be good for raising the front or rear or both at the same time).

Thanks!

It is safe to use jackstands or lift with a floor jack provided that you have a block to fit over the pinch weld to prevent deformation or place the jack slighly inboard of that jack point (depends on the size of the jack head/stand in question).

I would definitely not recommend lifting the car with two separate jacks or a jackstand and a floorjack - you are just asking for problems. The car will shift off off one of the stands as the other lifts the body - a dangerous, unpredictable situation.

Really not a good idea to lift a whole side at one time anyways - most equipment you can buy at an autoparts place is not safe enough to do that (regardless of the rating on the jack). If you have to lift one side up effectively - you will have to find the balance point from front and aft and be able to spread the load over a larger area than what a jack can nominally supply.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)