Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guest rendyx

Hello,

I currently drive a 91 Taurus SHO, however have a 96 Cavalier as a winter beater. Its fine engineering is causing some nasty ignition issues, so I may switch back my old 95 Prizm to drive through the winter. Being the 1.6l and 3 speed auto, however, it's not very exciting. I'm wondering:

1. If I change the tranny fluid, what should I use? Is Trickshift safe here?

2. What would be a good way to add some pep? I was reading about the exhaust tape and a modified intake - is that a good starting point?

Thanks for any advice!

B&M Trick Shift ATF should really be used completely by itself, you need to flush the old fluid completely out or there will be a chance that they will mix with some unexpected consequences. Some of the friction modifiers in the fluid may not be compatible with the ones spec'd out for your tranny - some people have reported shortened transmission life because the AFT was not 100% compatible. They have a new synthetic version - but I doubt they have changed the type of modifiers in it. Easy ways to add more pep - beyond a good tune-up are:

Cold Air Intake (CAI) and better exhaust (not a "fart" pipe, ie. something that looks like a drain-culvert pipe under the car) can add a 3-7HP at the wheels. Headers and tuned intakes can help - but the better ones are fairly costly. I personally wouldn't use any type of exhaust manifold wrap or tape. Most of them are basically fiberglass bandages or Mylar tapes that can trap water against the casting and really rot them out. Unfortunately - with a 3-speed and a 1.6L - note a whole you can really do without spending a small fortune.

Topic List