Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Auto tranny to Manual

Guest CarRolla

I have a 1993 Toyota Corolla with an automatic transmission and the 4afe engine inside. My question is has anyone or know anyone who has done an auto to manual transmission swap? I want to know if it is possible and what the cost would be. Also what parts would be needed to accomplish this task. I plan on swapping the motor out but I want to try this first to see what kind of differences I could expect when I do a motor swap.Anyone please help.

Haven't done it with Toyotas - but Hondas are popular vehicles to perform engine / transmissions swaps. It is possible, because the Corolla was manufactured and sold with either transmissions, generally the bolt patterns would matchup with the block and not much modification is needed to be done to the chAssis. Cost will depend on how you source your part - get a refurbished unit with warranty, look to spend anywhere from $650 and up - from a salvage yard, depending on its condition - looking at $250 and up. Doing the swap is more time consuming than anything else - engine out of the car is easier, but if you have a decent floor jack (to hold up the tranny) and the car on some ramps, you can do it with the engine in place. But be prepared for possible suprises and other parts. Example of what replacement parts that might be involved in the engine swap:

Manual transmission, Flywheel, Pressure plate, Clutch disc, Throwout bearing,

Clutch cable, Clutch pedal assembly, Brake pedal assembly, Engine/Transmission crossmember, Transmission harness (Engine harness 2), Shifter boot and Associated trim, Shifter assembly, Shifter trim bezel, Rear (Firewall) engine mount

Rear (Firewall) engine mount bracket, Transmission mount or bracket, Starter,

Clutch interlock switch, Neutral safety switch, Speedometer pinion gear and Associated guages or sending units, ECM upgrade or reprogramming, Rear main seal, Axle seals, Input shaft seal, possibly more.

Might be easier to due a complete engine/tranny swap together and then drop that into your chAssis. Might set you back about $2000 to start, but less problems in the long run. Keep in mind that a manual will give you "crisper" performance, it may not be enough when paired with the 1.6L engine.

If you just wanted to get a standard transmission - an alternative to doing all of this or paying someone to do this for you - you could pick up a 1993 Corolla w/standard transmission with some cosmetic damage (ripped interior, collision damage, etc.) and strip your exisiting car for the parts - sell what was left to a salvage yard and end up paying less than what you could have for just the transmission. Just an option.

Hope this help out.

Guest CarRolla

WOW! Sounds like alot. But thanks for the reply. I'll look into the options you gave me and see which one works out. Thanks again.

The real problem wiht this type of swap, is thelittle things. All the electrical sensors. You are probably going ot need the wiring harness out of a car with a manual tranny. Including: neutral indicator (to ECU), clutch swtch & relay (safety interlock), the clutch is hydraulic so you'll need to nydraulic lines out of a donor car. An H-pattern uses 2 push-pull cables for the linkage. Also there are all the interior trim pieces, the shifter itself.

You're budget should be under $2000. Bcause more than that, and you can simply buy a used '93 Corolla with a manual tranny.

The easiier thing might be to find a manual with a blown motor, pluu out that complte motor and misc. parts and put it into your car with your motor. Then sell your auto tranny..

Guest CarRolla

Thanks for your info also. default_smile

Topic List