Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By NormZ, April 26, 2005

Just wondering if anyone has opinions/experience with the advantages of using a Toyota dealer for your regular maintenance. I recently purchaced a 1yr old Corolla with 15k and just took it Toyota for their "15k mini service" (just the basic service, no extras). They charged me $130! The only things they did above what a $30 quick lube would do is rotate the tires and change the air filter. Everything else was pretty much standard (oil change, lube, fill fluids, inspect belts, etc). I realize that they have a better knowledge of the Corolla's maintenance procedures, adjustments, recalls & etc; but is it really worth this extra cost??? default_unsure

My corolla is at 16K, n I still havent done the 15K service yet, but plan to do it in June. At the regular oil change, I like their service. I get wipers replace, windshield fluid topped and free car wash for $29.95 CDN. default_smile

Max

It's a lot cheaper to do maintenence work yourself, or get an indie mechanic, but I go to the dealer for the convenience, and for the knowledge that my maintenence history is stored on their computers and therefore they must must honor my warranty. I know all you need is receipts to prove you have done all you must do in order for the warranty to be honored, but this is what works for me. I am also lucky enough to have an honest dealership within a ten minute drive of home.

Just wondering if anyone has opinions/experience with the advantages of using a Toyota dealer for your regular maintenance. I recently purchaced a 1yr old Corolla with 15k and just took it Toyota for their "15k mini service" (just the basic service, no extras). They charged me $130! The only things they did above what a $30 quick lube would do is rotate the tires and change the air filter. Everything else was pretty much standard (oil change, lube, fill fluids, inspect belts, etc). I realize that they have a better knowledge of the Corolla's maintenance procedures, adjustments, recalls & etc; but is it really worth this extra cost??? default_unsure

Keep in mind that some dealers charge you 80$ for labor.

The best way is to go to dealer to service individual items like oil, cooling system, etc.

No brake job!!! Monthly they send coupons on these services with pretty good deals.

get on their mail list

dealerships are ripoffs, just do the work yourself, everything's so easy on the corolla, parts are cheap too,

The price is somewhat ok for oil changes considering they also top off winshield fluid and lubricate the locks/hinges (a little thing which I imagine can be important in the long run).

Everything else in the "required service" category is probably going to be a ripoff. 80$ extra to rotate tires and "inspect" a few items is just plain theft, especially on a brand new car! I'm going to skip on that one for sure. I rotate tires myself and take a look at the brakes when I do so (no wear at all since I drive 90% highway). Then I take a peek at a few other components to make sure nothing major is leaking or cracked. End of the inspection. I'll probably consider a dealer inspection when I bring the car in for something more important like the coolant replacement.

My local dealer has priced their services competitively to other shops in the area, so cost wouldn't be a deciding factor. Furthermore, they take pride in touting their ISO 9005 certification - something that Joe's Garage down the street will never have.

Depending one one's own mechanical capabilities and how long they intend on keeping their car, dealing exclusively with the dealer's service department for all of the car's needs improves on the resale value. This has always been highly regarded with most high-end models, that have a documented service history originating from the dealer.

For someone who's handy in working on their car, by far the most cost-effective method is doing it yourself. Ebay often has the dealer's service manuals for almost all of Toyota's models and is invaluable to the DIY mecahnic, especially since I have found Haynes and Chilton's to have inaccurate or vague information.

Thanks. I figured you all would have opinions on this matter. I will probably return to my dealer for regular maintenance. According to their recommended list the next couple of maintenance periods should be around $50. The next big one is at 30k, which costs $350. I know I am being WAY overcharged but will probably keep it up, at least until the warrenty period is over. The main reason is just to have the records showing that it was dealer serviced to avoid any warrenty disputes and also hopefully increase the resale value.

I've taken mine to the dealership ever since I bought the car, over 4 years ago - I don't disagree that I am probably paying more - but that's OK - I got a book of coupons when I bought the car plus I get some in the mail occasionally - and I just like the idea of people working on my car who are trained to work on and familiar with Toyotas...

I have a '05 sedan, for its first paid service at 10,000km I will take it to a dealer. Firstly, it has a warranty issue that I would like rectified at that time (am too busy between now and then during the week). Secondly, should the motor crap out, if I had a RYCO filter on it instead of a toyota one, i'll need to pay the 5 grand or so for a new motor for the warranty is void on that part.

Guest raycastro

Coming up on 120,000 miles, I'm also debating whether to have my ride serviced by Toyota's service department, or my local Express Tire which is AAA Approved.

Found a good article on Car Talk's Website:

Do Dealer's Really Charge More?

Bankrate also had an interesting article:

Dealers vs. independent repair shops

I couldn't find any related articles on MSN Autos. Edmunds had an article, but it was weak compared to the ones above.

at 60k miles, i've taken my car only once to replace the front pads

for 100 bucks. Everything else can be done at home without even jacking up the car.

i m afraid the air filter, for example a toyota part, is very expensive

lets say compared to walmart.

Topic List