Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guest Captain_Toyota

Guest Captain_Toyota

Guest Captain_Toyota

I asked this question in another forum, but no one answered me yet so Im going to ask in here.

Do the Corolla, Matrix and RAV4 share a common chAssis? All 3 of these vehicles seem to be the same size. Are all 3 of these essentially the same vehicle with different bodies and in the case of the RAV4 a slightly different suspension (longer a-arms and springs)?

Max

I am fairly certain Matrix shares the chAssis with Corolla. It's even sometimes called a "Corolla-Matrix." I think the RAV has a different chAssis. You might look around on the Toyota website and see what you can learn there.

I am fairly certain Matrix shares the chAssis with Corolla. It's even sometimes called a "Corolla-Matrix." I think the RAV has a different chAssis. You might look around on the Toyota website and see what you can learn there.

This statement is correct. The RAV4 is similar in size, but uses a different drivetrain, supension, and body structure.

The first generation RAV4 was built off of the Celica platform I'm not sure the if the current generation is the same, though.

Guest Captain_Toyota

Guest Captain_Toyota

To follow up on my question, here are some dimensions I was able to find for both vehicles:

The RAV4 is taller, wider and has a longer track than the Corolla. However, Corolla is longer and has a longer wheelbase. All of the interior dimensions are bigger on the RAV4. The RAV4 has 4-wheel disc brakes, whereas the Corolla has front disc/rear drum.

Also, the suspension is different. The Corolla has the typical MacPherson struts, which the RAV4 also has. However, in addition to the struts, the RAV also has hydraulic shock absorbers on the front and rear suspensions.

Also, the RAV4's engine is different. The Corolla uses a 1.8L DOHC I-4 with VVT-i. This engine makes 130 hp @ 6,000 rpm and 125 lb-ft of torque @ 4,200 rpm. However, the RAV4 has a 2.4L DOHC I-4 with VVT-i. That engine makes 161 hp @ 5,700 rpm and 165 lb-ft of torque @ 4,000 rpm. Also, the RAV4 has TDI (toyota direct ignition) which eliminated the cap and rotor, meaning that over time you will have far less problems with the ignition system.

By the way, I got all of these number from the '04 Corolla and RAV4 brochures and I would like to thank Toyota for providing me with them.

Here's my thoughts on both vehicles. The Corolla is a nice, inexpensive car. Its for someone who either cant really afford $18,000-$24,000 for a Camry or just wants a nice, inexpensive, economical car.

The RAV4, in my opinion is for someone who wants a vehicle that rides very much like a car and still gets pretty good fuel milage, but that when winter comes and the roads get slippery, is still a vehicle that can handle itself. The RAV4 could be seen as a mild off-road vehicle. It has full-time four-wheel-drive (which is not the same as all-wheel-drive) and has pretty decent ground clearance (as much as 6.7" with the optional P235/60R16 tires) but because it doesnt have low-range I would call it more of a "snow-fighter" than a "mud bogger".

Both are very nice vehicles, I almost bought a '99 RAV4 L 4x4 but opted out at the last minute because I wanted a pickup. The '99 RAV4s were a little slow, but back then they had a 2.0L 130 hp engine. With the 160 hp version they have now, the RAV4 should be just fine in the power department.

Corollas are nice too. A friend of mine had an old Geo Prizm and a few weeks ago she had me change the belts and hoses, do an oil change, change the air filter and we bought some new tires for winter. She had me drive it down to the tire shop and that car is old but its still very nice. It was kinda of unusal because its got a manual transmission but it doesnt have a tach so I wasnt always sure when I was supposed to shift. After a while though, I got used to how the engine sounded when you were supposed to shift it, and I really enjoyed driving that car. However, the lack of AWD (which is something the Matrix offers) is what really limits me on a Corolla. Also, Im not sure Im quite ready for a car yet. I like to sit up a little bit higher, which is why I would go with the RAV4.

"What up ninja?"

Cap'n

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla Matrix