Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Cherry128, January 12, 2004

See every reply in these pages:

There's an article called "Big And Bad" written in the commerce and cluture section of the New Yorker by Malcolm Gladwell. I don't have a link, but it's in the Jan 12th 2004 issue.

It starts off saying how everyone is getting ripped off because Ford made a fortune off the Expeditions... which is a F-150 wiht a different body and 3 rows of seats.

Then it goes an a discusses how the average American percieves safety and how SUV's in most every instance are actaully less safe in a accident and very unsafe for everyone else on the road.

As we all know driving a small car raises your awareness of your surroundings and gives you the ability to avoid accidents since it's nimble has great feedback from the road and stops realatively fast. It's also has eleborate crush zones and is designed specifically ot protect it's driver in a accident. the SUV on theotherhand, is TOO rigid and it's weight, size and high center of gravity makes it slow, cumbersome, numb and an all around poor performance machine.

It also showed statistics that put the Sunfire/Cavalier and Neon as teh must unsafe vehicles on the road. ou're more thna twice as likely ot be killed in a Neon thna a Corolla... and actually equally as likely in a Mercury Grand Marquis (suprising). The Windstar, Caravan, Camry and Accord all rated very high on the list.

Anyway... you'll have to read the article.

I also have a hatred for SUV's. What i hate the most is when they get in a lane in front of me, cuz then i cant see anything else on the road. So i have to go out of my way to pass that POS. Most people are all about image and that is why SUV's are so popular. People want to look "cool" and for some dumb reason, lots of people today think that SUV's give you that. DEATH to SUV's.

BTW, i dont care what anyone has to say, but very FEW people can claim an SUV as a necessity. If you have a big family, minivans are way better.

too right, SUVs are taking off in OZ. so much so that GM and Ford this year are coming out with new locally made 4WD models to supplement their family sedan lines. in fact, toyota and mitsubishi in OZ have just about discontinued thier family sedan based wagons. i noticed that the 4cyl SUVs are no quicker than my much cheaper and nimbler corolla. 6 cyl SUVs are quicker but start at least AUS$40k for a crap one. SUVs are dear when a conventional coupe, sedan or hatch will do exactly the same thing whilst being cheaper and more socially responsible.

but, in OZ, at the moment all 4wds/suvs are imported thus because farmers legitimately use 4wds all 4wds have zero tariffs, so in OZ SUVs are cheaper than they should be.

i have noticed that SUVs in OZ never perform brillilantly in crash tests.

• 200 posts

Demonizing those who like SUV's eh? Really brilliant.

Guest raycastro

In a collision between a Suburban and a Corolla, I'd rather be in the Suburban. default_smile

It's also hard for me to believe that you have a better view with lower viewing angle than a higher. I'm much more aware of my surroundings in an SUV because of the increased ride height. I can simply see much more.

It's true that if you're in a small vehicle, and there's a bigger vehicle in front of you, it's harder to see. In those cases, when I'm in the smaller vehicle, I increase the distance between me and the bigger car, change lanes, or stay where I am since if there is an accident ahead, it will take longer for the bigger guy to stop. default_smile

SUV = Stupid Ugly Vehicle.

Guest Costello

Demonizing those who like SUV's eh? Really brilliant. 

I never have understand why what other people choose to purchase and drive bothers some people to no end.

Necessity has NOTHING to do with it. How many can claim a Corvette, NSX or Porsche as necessity? And yet are they hated like the evil SUV's? Hate? Death? Sounds a lot like curb weight envy to me.

I just enjoy the mpg I get in the Corolla while commuting, but-

I also use my F150 when a truck is needed (or when I simply desire to tailgate really close to someone in a pipsqueak Corolla)

- sarcasm implied

Life. Love it, Live it.

The way i look at it, you get a Porche, NSX, etc.. ------>>>for Performance

Sedans/coupes---->>>Everyday driving , family car

Minivans--->>>>Big Family car

VAns,pickups----->>>Construction, moving, etc...

Trucks---->>>Transport

SUV's------>>>>?????? Need to feel bigger and more important than the rest of the people on the road??Like to waste gas for no reason?? At least with a NSX you can enjoy flying down the road. What do you enjoy with an SUV, thinking you have a wannabe big rig??

Guest raycastro

I plan on purchasing an SUV, either a Denali or Hummer H2. I don’t need to feel bigger and more important, but the Associated image sure feels great. Other than the awesome factor, 4WD comes in handy off road and in the snow. Next to a truck, I think it’s the next best thing to tow with. That way, I can waste gas with the boat I will take out to the lake just to have some fun. default_smile

The way i look at it, you get a Porche, NSX, etc.. ------>>>for PerformanceSedans/coupes---->>>Everyday driving , family car

Minivans--->>>>Big Family car

VAns,pickups----->>>Construction, moving, etc...

Trucks---->>>Transport

SUV's------>>>>?????? Need to feel bigger and more important than the rest of the people on the road??Like to waste gas for no reason?? At least with a NSX you can enjoy flying down the road. What do you enjoy with an SUV, thinking you have a wannabe big rig??

How about climbing a hill covered with ice and snow?

How many all wheel sedans out there? what is the price range for them?

That is why people going aftet SUVs.

When auto companies start offering all whell drive on sedans, and return station wagon when you'd see sunset of SUVs. IMHO

How about climbing a hill covered with ice and snow?How many all wheel sedans out there? what is the price range for them?

That is why people going aftet SUVs.

When auto companies start offering all whell drive on sedans, and return station wagon when you'd see sunset of SUVs. IMHO

Like i mentioned in my earlier post, very FEW people have a need for them. How many people do you know are going over hill full of ice and snow? I've lived in NYC all my life and have yet to see one of those, still the roads are full of SUV's. As for AWD sedans, i dont really know the specs, but i think Subaru makes it standard on theirs. Believe they are moderately priced as well.

The only time a SUV makes sense is for towing large loads while needing ot carry several passengers. In this ONE role, the SUV actually gets good mileage for the weight it's pulling. Otherwise it's just a status symbol. Any 4WD minivan or wagon can out perform pratically every SUV on the road.

I am however impressed by some of the new unit body SUV's out there. The Acura, Toyota Highlander, VW Toureg (sp?) to mane a couple. These offer the best of both worlds.

Yes in a collision between a Corolla and a suburban I too would rathe be in the suburban.... but when sliding off the road, into a highway retaining wal, slamming into a guardrail, or getting hit by a turck over 10k lbs.... I'd rather be in the Corolla.... or better yet, a Camry or Lexus.

I plan on purchasing an SUV, either a Denali or Hummer H2. I don?t need to feel bigger and more important, but the Associated image sure feels great. Other than the awesome factor, 4WD comes in handy off road and in the snow. Next to a truck, I think it?s the next best thing to tow with. That way, I can waste gas with the boat I will take out to the lake just to have some fun. default_smile

it is common that most people buy SUVs for the image. Has nothing to do with

traction, towing,conservation, environment, price of gas etc.

I also might like to add, that up here in Vermont, it is the SUV's that

you see over the sides of the interstates in roll - overs.

Those drives don't respect the laws of physics like ice, high centre of gravity

and high speeds.... one ford explorer going too fast spun out and almost

took me out.

I used to live in the Middle East (United Arab Emirates specifically) for 13 years and to me, 4x4s (thats what we called them not SUVs) were a common sight because while most places had paved road access to the general area, some places had no roads... so it was basically off the highway and onto sand. Therefore 4x4s were EXTREMELY helpful at times. I remember our old 86 Corolla getting stuck numerous of times only to be saved by a local driving by in a Landcruiser (by far the most numerous 4x4 in the UAE).

So do I hate SUVs? Yes, in the North American sense. I don't see a reason why anyone in Canada or USA really needs an SUV. For most part, we have paved roads to almost anywhere. And if there aren't paved roads, there is usually a dirt / gravel road or at least a flat terrain (as opposed to sand and knee deep water / soft mud). Some will argue that there are places that a SUV is a must but my arguement is HOW often does one actually go there? Do you REALLY need offroading capabilities? Chances are that 99.99% of the SUVs out there have never seen the light of TRUE offroading like I have (ie: sand dunes, mud, crossing shallow rivers, scaling muddy rocky hills, etc.). So in general North Americans don't need SUVs. They are just a status symbol and not only does it give people a misguided sense of safety such that "I am in a BIG vehicle thus more immune to harm" and wind up driving more recklessly.

In places like Vietnam, Thailand, the Middle East where important places like oil rigs, depots, etc lie in severly remote areas, I approve and only approve of SUV usage since there would be no other feasible way to get to the docks and rigs I have been to unless you fly a chopper in (possible in the Middle East but Vietnam has too much foliage).

SUVs are not evil... just misguided in North America.

Frost

• 200 posts

Fine. Then you folks quit demonizing those who do enjoy an SUV.

Guest Costello

At least with a NSX you can enjoy flying down the road.

You say that at least you can enjoy 'flying' in an NSX, but that its totally stupid for someone to enjoy an SUV. default_blink

Driving at excessive speed wastes fuel and endangers the others on the highway. The NSX/Porsche/vette/viper is totally underutilized on the US highway system because of the speed limits, - therefore - there is NO NEED for any high performance vehicle on any US highways (not to mention 180 mph motorcycles). Just expanding your SUV 'logic'.

The point remains that it's none of our business what vehicle people choose to own and drive, and all of this self righteous griping doesn't change the fact.

Get over it.

The point remains that it's none of our business what vehicle people choose to own and drive, and all of this self righteous griping doesn't change the fact.

Get over it.

Get over what?

And you are wrong, it is my business. When i have to share roads with idiots and SUV's that block my view around me, that makes it my business.

• 200 posts

You anti-suv zealots are sounding Cherubini-esque in your ramblings.

Guest Costello

And you are wrong, it is my business. When i have to share roads with idiots and SUV's that block my view around me, that makes it my business.

Because they share your road? Rant on anti-SUV dude. You're really making sense now.

BTW-

If you frequently can't see around the vehicle in front, you are likely following too close in the first place. Try dropping back the recommended safe distance until you are clear to pass.

Of course, pAssing's easier and safer if your not driving a weak motored Corolla (like my '00 CE). Try it in a V8 SUV sometime. Just be sure not to inhale an econo-box Corolla into the V8's intake manifold when you step on it to pass, it can limit your fuel economy.

Of course, pAssing's easier and safer if your not driving a weak motored Corolla (like my '00 CE). Try it in a V8 SUV sometime. Just be sure not to inhale an econo-box Corolla into the V8's intake manifold when you step on it to pass, it can limit your fuel economy.

YOu seem to try to make me feel jealous because the corolla does not have 200hp. It doesnt bother me one bit. I use to have a 200hp car and no SUV could ever keep up with it. V8 Suv's could blow me, as far i was concerned, I'm not 18 anymore, so i dont need all those xtra ponies. Suv's are good for overweight fat slobs, you probably are one of them, Keep eating those cheesburgers and driving your Hemi, now you are cool. default_laugh

Guest Costello

Suv's are good for overweight fat slobs, you probably are one of them...

Your insults are not warranted. However, since you have no logic behind your irrational hatred of SUV's, perhapsyour insults are excusable.

I was referring sarcastically to your desire to see around people and to pass, maybe you should try something more formidable than the mighty Corolla.

Me, I'm getting into my Corolla and going home, and BTW - I think it's stuffed peppers tonight, not cheeseburgers. But now that you mention it ......mmmmmmm, cheeseburger.

Best wishes to you Tofu man default_tongue

does anyone know of freud's theory regarding the the size of a man's car in relation to the size of his dick?

i have a 1.8l 113hp corolla auto. i can overtake things amply. V8s in OZ are frequently bought by brain-dead neanderthals who wouldn't know a good car even if it bit them in the arse.

europeans have speed unlimited autobahns, the average car sold over ther is a mere 1.7 litres. they don't need hulking V8s. in the uk the volume seller is a 1.6l ford focus. the uk speed limit is 70 mph on motorways. in italy, the speed limit is 95mph - thier volume seller is a small fiat. in germany its a 1.6 litre golf, capable of 120 mph, they are unlimited on their motorways.

even if i DID want power, what is wrong with a passenger car V8? less weight= better economy and more acceleration as compared to an SUV of same engine.

sure, 4wd can be helpful sometimes. what is wrong with a subaru legacy? 180hp for US$20k. audi quattro? surely can't be any dearer than the US$37k needed for a suburban

most of the SUV logic is 'i'm american dammit, i have the right in my constitution to use up all the earths resources and do what i like, the rest of yous can go join osama and saddam and go to hell!!'

i know all americans are not like this, some of you are actually socially responsible.

some of you buy passenger cars when an SUV is not needed.

Amen brother... amen.

If anyone read my reply, SUVs are not really needed in North America but instead are going on the fact that "everyone has the right to own one" basis and sure enough every 5th vehicle I see is an SUV.

The next car on my mind to buy for the crappy snowy icy weather we get up north in Canada is a nice Legacy Wagon. All the room of SUV minus the weight and all the pros of AWD going for me instead of needing to go through a transfer case.

Frost

yes, if a 4wd vehicle is needed subarus are great buys. in oz AUS$26k is all that is needed to buy a base 2.0 litre impreza. SUVs start at low $30k's.

what some people forget is many 4wds are not full time 4wds, you have to get out and switch on the hubs. at least the soobies are all-time 4wd. even then, sometimes in snowy conditions a 4wd is not required, a car with a good traction control system is very safe indeed, with traction control even a 4wd soobie may be irrelevant.

bear in mind that USA uses 25% of all the world's oil, and is only 5% of population. any link between this and gross overuse of SUVs??

p.s. tofu is actually nice and healthy thank you.

At least with a NSX you can enjoy flying down the road.

You say that at least you can enjoy 'flying' in an NSX, but that its totally stupid for someone to enjoy an SUV. default_blink

Driving at excessive speed wastes fuel and endangers the others on the highway. The NSX/Porsche/vette/viper is totally underutilized on the US highway system because of the speed limits, - therefore - there is NO NEED for any high performance vehicle on any US highways (not to mention 180 mph motorcycles). Just expanding your SUV 'logic'.

Get over it.

yeah, it is called conspicuous consumption, screw the poor.

Topic List