Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2000 Corolla

by dew, April 12, 2005

Hi, I'm having a problem with my 2000 Corolla. It has 106,000 miles on it. From a cold start theres a major hesitation and sometimes it dies when the accelerator is pushed. The hesitation is worse if the ac is turned on. It also seems to be worse after sitting during a hot day rather than at night. The problem goes away after about a minute. The check engine light is on but I have not read a code yet. I'm sure there are many possibilities that would cause this problem. I would appreciate any advice or ideas as to what could be causing my problem.

Thanks

TTT

Get the code read - will narrow down possibilities for what is wrong. Could be anything from a bad sensor, bad idle up circuit, dirty MAF, leaky intake, clogged PCV, worn plugs, bad injector, bad fuel pump, clogged air filter, leaky vacuum line, etc. - list goes on.

With the number of miles on the car - I would assume it would be a bad sensor somewhere. Without the code - just a shot int eh dark with what could be wrong.

How is the car otherwise? Fuel economy gone down any? Does it change with weather (hot, cold, wet, etc)? Any modifications that you have done recently or have done in the past?

I got the cel code read today. The codes were P0171 ( fuel injection system lean) and P0300 ( multiple cylinder misfire detected). I've already changed the plugs and cleaned the MAF and IAT sensor with contact cleaner (it was very dirty) but the problem persists.

I've never had any other problems with the car. I get my oil changed every 5,000 miles and the transmmision fluid was changed at 50,000 miles. However, the car has never had a tune up. My MPG has stayed the same at around 30 and I've not done any mods.

You should also change the spark plug wires when you change the spark plugs. Change the fule filter to and see if it fixe's the problem. A clogged fuel filter can mess-up alot of things. While your at it, do a carbon flush. The carbon build up can collect the fuel and not let it go until much latter. This could be why you have a lean misfire. Any mechanic can do that.

Well - you've pretty much done a minor tune up on the car (plugs, cleaned off the MAF/IAT sensor). The engine doesn't really need much more than that - a change in the PCV vlave would be good to do every 30K or so, pretty cheap and saves you headaches later.

Codes P0171 and P0300 together leads me to some possible issues: could be a bad O2 sensor(s), could be a bad or sticking fuel injector(s), could be a bad coil over plug unit (I believe these were started in 2000 instead of separate wires and coil pack). Did you notice if any of the sparkplugs look much different than the others (color, fouling, etc)? Sometimes a leaking cylinder will cause these issues as well - a leakdown and compression test can rule it out.

A leaking intake system and loose vacuum lines can also cause these issues. As well as a dirty throttle body. I would recommend checking the vaccum lines, looking over the front of the air box all the way to the throttle body looking for leaks, replace the PCV valve, and cleaning the throttle body to complete the tune-up. If that doesn't do the trick - I'd check as see if they can back probe the O2 sensor of monitor it with a data logging scanner to check operation. Swapping coil packs would be another option - to see if the problem gets worse / same / or better. Injector flushing sometimes works - but usually if the injectors are that dirty - be easier to get them replaced with new ones. Fuel filter can be checked - kind of a pain since it is in the tank - usually a nonmaintenance item, does not need to be replaced under normal circumstances. The fuel pressure regulator is more interesting - also in the tank - if everything checks OK, then the regulator could be bad (ie. not enough or too much fuel pressure). Kind of unusally - but weirder stuff has happened.

Good Luck.

I did notice one of the plugs was fouled. I'll do a compression test on that cylinder. That sounds like that could be my problem. Thanks for the advice.

Guest Chillax

I had the same prob with my 2000 corolla a yr ago, code said lean, dealer told me Mass Air Flow sensor needed replacing, So I changed it and all was fine, but the darn thing cost $160 so i cleaned the old one and put it in to see if it just needed cleaning, result NO. Cleaning the Mass Air Sen does not work needs to be replaced.

Hope this helps

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)