Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1999 Stearing Wheel Shimmy At 60mph

by aubyte, April 10, 2005

A week ago bought 1999 Corolla with new tires and after a while noticed a clear shimmy of stearing wheel at 60 mph. Starts at about 55 and gradually builds up to 60 and then stays almost the same intensity.

I'm new to car repairs and fixes and my search returned that I need to start with tire rotation, alignment and balancing. My dealer - Maroone Honda - at first wouldn't want to do it because it's not written clearly in warranty. I spoke to manager and he said that when I bring vehicle to their service they will "see". Service is scheduled this monday.

I just need to know what is the best for me to do? If I manage to get warranty repair from them (I'll try hard) - what I should insist on doing first?

Thanks for any ideas in advance.

A complete tire rotation/wheel balance and alignment is definitely a good place to start.

Even if the tires are new, they could still be out of balance if they were not mounted properly to begin with.

Usually a steady shimmy/rumble at 60MPH is a sure sign of tire balancing problems.

Outside of the tire or alignment issues, it could be faulty suspension. In that case, I would get some opinions and try your best to get those replaced under your warranty (if applicable).

Guest KnifeEdge_2K1

Guest KnifeEdge_2K1

well u proly shoulda taken a test drive b4 u bought it ... ask the original owner but i agree with ppr, most likely a ballance issue, or it might be the condition of the roads at the time default_tongue, but i assume ur smart enough to knock that outta the equation

I can almost guarantee that it is a problem with the wheel balancing. I had the exact same situation in the Paratransit Bus I drive for a living. At around 60 MPH, the vibration in the whole front end was so severe that the fare box and AMDT (Automated Mobile Data Terminal) for my radio/comm system, which is on a pedastal mount, would vibrate so bad you thought they'd shake apart. I wrote it up, and the maintenence people replaced the front tires with new ones which were properly balanced. Problem solved.

Thanks guys, your suggestions served really well! She really wanted tire balancing - hope problem is now solved:). Now I believe it's kinda common for many cars to have disbalanced wheels affect badly steering wheel at around 60 mph.

Dealer allowed me a soft ride around a block at top speed 40. If you're offered this same "test drive" - be alert. Thankfully, my dealer honored my claim to fix it.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)