Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

New 2000 Carolla Le

Guest scorpionzx1

ok, I just baught this 2000 le (manual), and am looking for some high quality performance spark plugs (what are some good/the best brands?) and where I could find a high quality cold air intake? Then if there is any one who has exhaust, where could I find a company who does it for the 2000, and what kind of prices am I looking at?

For plugs - I'd stick with the Iridium Densos that came with it. Bosch Platinum +4 are novel - but people have reported weird results, both good and bad. Densos and NGKs both make OEM like Iridium plugs.

Cold air intake for an 8th generation - EL Prototypes used to make an intake. There are others - but ELP had the best reputation. Most go custom on this - just have to account for the MAF / IAT sensors.

Exhaust - depends on if you plan to do a catback or just the muffler or a whole system (header, hi-po cat, pipes, muffler). Muffler only will run from a low side of about $100 to $350 for TRD. Cat-back - be anywhere from $250 (custom and someone hooks you up) to close to a $750. Header - if you can find one - about $200 to start. There are cheaper ones but tend to use thinner gauge metal or do not tune them to exhaust pulses.

Guest scorpionzx1

Thank you for your advice, so then would you say that the NGK iridiums would be worth it?

Personally - I like the Densos over the NGK - but as long as they are Iridium and have the same specs (temp range, gap, plug reach, threads, etc.) NGK Iridiums would be a good buy.

They are pretty expensive - but if you factor in the their long lifespan - it all works out in the end.

Guest scorpionzx1

ok, I'm now running ngk iridium 9 plugs and have a cold air intake on the way, I think I'm going to go for exhause next, maybe a header or two, lol. does any one have an idea where I could find one at a resonable price but good quality (already checking ebay, and there's not many costom shops in my area)?

Guest KnifeEdge_2K1

Guest KnifeEdge_2K1
ok, I'm now running ngk iridium 9 plugs and have a cold air intake on the way, I think I'm going to go for exhause next, maybe a header or two, lol. does any one have an idea where I could find one at a resonable price but good quality (already checking ebay, and there's not many costom shops in my area)?

is it a REAL cold air intake or is it those crappy ones they just call a cold air intake that doesnt really function as one?

you can tell it's real if it a) the filter is located in FRONT of the radiator or default_cool if its really low in the engine bay sourcing air from UNDER the car

if it's default_cool you might want to get an aem bypass valve if you live in an area where there might be alot of rain since cold air intakes that source air from under the car WILL suck up rainwater or puddles which WILL kill your engine, im not talking about screwing up a spark plug or something, it will litterally KILL your engine, the crankshaft pistons conrods or head will COME OFF

Guest scorpionzx1

Oh yes, it is a cold air intake, it is going to sit a little behind the engine (not close enough to pick up heat though, just a little to the right of the driverside wheel well, about six or eight inches off the ground, and as far as rainwater, I am concerned about that, one of my plans is to modify the intake a bit so that I can easily convert it into a short Ram-air intake if the weather permits, but I will check out that valve too though, that might help.

I'm around Arvada Colorado, if that helps.

Guest elusive-dragon

I had a question about the MAF or whatever its called lol the mass airflow sensor at the air intake area...

I had a lot of problems trying to order an intake a year ago with this...my corolla is a 2000 yet everytime I ordered an intake for the 2000 year I would get an intake without an MAF attachment.

Was this just a problem with whoever I ordered from? Or anyone else seen this issue?

I thought maybe in 2000 there was a switch in styles but I think the 1999 & 2000 are the same.

The 1998 and 1999 Corollas used MAP sensors and the 2000+ Corollas (VVT-i) use MAF - they are different. If you get an intake that says fits all 1998-2002 Corollas - then I would take it a possible fitment - no guarantee. Depends on where you got them - some people just make a hold for the MAF and go from there. But to get optimal performance - the placement of the MAF is fairly crucial.

Stick with Injen, AEM, or TRD (made by Injen or AEM - depending on model year). Some like Weapon R, Bomz, and others - but I have heard a fair number of complaints with them. eBay intakes are hit and miss - sometimes you will get lucky and get one that works.

Guest scorpionzx1

well, I'm looking for exhaust, searching TRD and so forth, its hard to find headers, but I came across some "performance mufflers" and the site said that they would improve hp some. Are they kind of an equivalent to headers? and or are there headers for the 2000 corolla le? Ive talked to some people and have heard that they are supposed to be out there. And also does any one know where I can find a shift light for a 2000 corolla? or even a short shifter would be nice too.

Guest elusive-dragon

thanks for the advice on the intakes, i'll look around with better info.

thanks!!! default_smile

As mufflers go - they do not influence performance as much as how much noise the system makes. Header is completely different - those have been shown to increase HP a little bit, but will raise underhood temps quite abit unless you have them wrapped or coated. Only ones I've seen are JP Performance and maybe DC Sports. Could be some others out there.

Shift light - can get them anywhere - but don't get the ones that wire dirrectly to a coil - since you car has indivdual coil packs - will not work. Some will pick up the RPMs from noise in your cars source voltage - but that doesn't always work. Unless you have a serious engine swap - I'd pass on the light.

Short shifters are everywhere - TRD makes a good one as well as TWM short shifters are "really" short. Their site is http://www.twmperformance.com/.

Be wary of hype - every site has some performance part that makes X gain in HP or TQ and better fuel economy. If that was all true - then it would have already been installed at the factory as OEM.

Guest Chillax

TRD used to make headers for the 2000, it just took alittle diggin on their website but i think they still do.

P.S. the TRD exhaust is very nice not to loud and is a direct bolt on replacment, would def recommend replacing the cat (depending on where u live) on the 00 its basically 2 cats workin as one, cut those out and put in a higher flow and about 2-3 ft of pipe and then you'll get better flow.

Guest scorpionzx1

Well, it's about a day until my intake finally arrives, and I am talking to a friend. The topic of intakes comes up and he says that there is a chance that I might actually lose power from installing an intake?! any thaughts on this? I could understand how this might happen with a cold air intake, because the engine does more work to get the air through all of that piping to the cylender, but what about a short ram air intake? or with a cold air wouldn't you still get a power boost, because on a 2000 corolla the stock intake, the air has to first come in through that tiny little tube, then wrap around the battery to a hose that goes to the air box, then through another hose to the intake manifold, that seems like going from a straw to a 5" pipe to me, but I may be mistaken. your imput would really help me out on this issue.

Guest KnifeEdge_2K1

Guest KnifeEdge_2K1

it cant happen with a cold air intake, the air will always be cooler outside the car then the engine bay, the tempreture difference will more then make up for the increase in drag from plumbing

a short ram intake is useless, the less piping you have the closer the intake will be to the engine and/or radiator which will heat up the air giving you lower oxygen content, a REAL ram intake will have the intake exposed to the outside effectively "ramming" the air into the engine, this usually means cold air as well but aftermarket parts NEVER do this

basically same as what i said before, check out what you're buying before you buy it, but since that's out of the question just pay attention to where the intake is located, if it's near the radiator or engine it wont be that good but if its low enough to the ground (at most 1 inch higher then your ride height) it should be ok, the best of course is in front of the radiator since it wont disrupt airflow over the car (like a bonnet scoop) and will still give a slight supercharging "ram" effect"

All depends on the intake design - I've seen SRI and CAI make power and some lose power. Cooler intake air is a better in most cases - the problem is, getting the engine to see it and make the most use of it. Most are are smart enough to see more air, lower temps = add more fuel for more power. There is the issue of resonance - more air isn't necessarily a good thing. You OEM airbox is convoluted and shaped strangely because it was tuned for a specific resonance. Air moving through an intake at the wrong speed will hamper your overall volumetric efficiency - ie. even though you put on a free flowing filter and larger diameter intake - doesn't mean that all that air will make to the cylinders. The issue of drag from smaller or longer piping will be minimized or enhanced depending on this resonance.

Most intakes will tend to make more noise than power - since the resonance is shifted and there is no baffling to help block some of the noise. Luckily - in most cases, you will see increased power in upper RPMS where any restrictions in the intake will cause problems - lower speeds, it probably be a toss up. Like KnifeEdge_2K1 mentions - got to watch heat soak issues - intake air temps that get too high and you will have the engine pull the timing and lose power to minimize detonation. Ways around it are real CAI (add a bypass if you are worried about hydrolocking your engine = sucking water into the engine) - or a SRI with a cold box or ice box modification (sealing the SRI with a insulated box to keep out engine heat).

Guest scorpionzx1

ok, now that the intake issue is past, does any one know how costly it is to get piston rings replaced? I'm almost positive that that is the problem that is causing the exessive oil burning, I just have to get a compression test done to make sure.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)