Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2005 Corolla Transmission Went Bad.

Guest CorollaF1

I was on my way to the dealership to check out the XRS vs S. Funniest thing my car died right as I pulled in. The car was on drive but it didn't want to go anywhere when I hit the gas. I had the car for about 7 months and just under 9,000 miles on it right now. default_unsure

I was thinking about switching to a XRS now. But for the price of the XRS I can buy a camery that has more power. Anyone have this kind of problem where you can't decided? Anyone want to point some views why I should stay away from XRS or get one?

At that age - you should have it fixed under warranty. Or use it as an excuse to get another car.

Picking between the XRS or Camry - hard to say, depends on what you looking for in a car. Camry has more power, more room, possibily better resale. XRS is the same size as the Corolla S, just with the hotter 1.8L engine, 6-speed transmission, and sportier suspension/tires. You also have to keep in mind - to get the most out of the engine (performance wise and stay safe) that the Camry takes regular gas (depends on the model you are looking at) and the XRS requires premium gas. Check insurance rates - I found the Corolla to be higher than a Camry of Rav4 - but I liked the size and frugality of the Corolla better. There are other "features" that some people will like or some will hate - that is up to you so look carefully.

Good luck.

Guest hanijamal

yup... thats absolutely right.. check insurance... and check milage.. in the end do u need all that room ?

if ur looking for something compact..and sporty..

go for the XRS.. looking for something more long term in which case you would need the extra interior volume... go for the camry..

Guest ErikJ

more power, more room, possibily better resale

I'd go for the Camry.

It really depends on ur preferences, if it was me, I'd go with the XRS for been more sporty and fast.

Just bought an XRS. It is a shifter's care for sure.

Roomy for a compact. Also has disc breaks all around, which is a big deal to me.

Guest CorollaF1

Thanks for info guys. I don't think I will ever sell it so I think I am going to get the xrs because I like compact cars and I like how it's sporty. But now I can't decide what color I want white or gray. default_biggrin

BTW, if I am making payments on the corolla ce, do I have to put down the difference on the XRS or do you think they will just raise my montly paymenst?

Depends on what the terms were on the Corolla CE. Most will just carry over the negative equity (difference between the value of the car and the outstanding portion of the loan taken out to pay for the car) and roll that into the other car. Basically you would be taking out a new loan - easier paperwork for you and the dealership/bank.

Trading in a relatively new car for another new car - the payments will beat you up with all that negative equity you are absorbing. Unless the dealership gives you a good trade and better price on the XRS. Choose wisely.

Guest CorollaF1

Well just got my car back today. They switched out the transmission. Runs good now. But for some reason it is louder than usual when I have it on parked and when I accelerate from a stop light. Should I be worried?

Well I probably really going to trade it in now. I'm getting a headache with my corolla.

Probably something touching the new transmission or the tranmission has to break-in a bit before it quiets down. You can either hold onto the Corolla and ride it out for a while - then trade it in. Never know - 2006 and 2007 models might have something that might be more appealing to you. Or bite the bullet and eat all the negative equity you have in your current car and get a new one.

Good Luck.

Guest xPAGANx

The XRS is a blast to drive. If you haven't test driven one, do it.

I was sold after one test drive. Definitely the funnest car I have ever driven.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)