Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

We Have Rattles...

by c2105026, March 30, 2005

Hi,

On a trip back to my parent's place for easter my corolla developed two predominant rattles.

1] Driver's door, towards the front

2] to my left, slightly behind - maybe passenger side rear door?

However everything is still functioning - lock mechanisms, electrics etc.

Anything to worry about? The sounds are much more prevalent on roads with a coarser pavement i.e. hardly exists on freeways.

Anyone have similar issues at such a low mileage? Mileage has just past 2000km.

I have checked all visible bolts and screws in the interior for tightness

That is what a warranty is for. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just go for a test drive with a tech so you can point out the problems. Just leaving the car hardly solves anything.

My driver seat started making a little noise around 500 miles (some of the mounting bolts were defective or something). I took it to the dealer yesterday and they overnighted me a new seat braket. I gotta go back in today and I hate sitting in the waiting room, but at least they are taking care of it.

I traded in a 03 Nissan, so Toyota is treating me like royalty compared to how things used to be.

Max

c- Mine rattles like crazy in the passenger door, and has since the day I bought it. Rather than let some tech tear it up trying to fix it, I just crank up the stereo. Sometimes, putting the window down then back up helps, or slamming the door. It's aggravating that a brand new Toyota would have these issues, but oh well. If it really bugs you, yes, use that warranty and take the dealership person on a ride with you to point out the trouble.

Ya mines also have rattles on the front passenger side door n the overhead where the antenna is located. I didnt want them to tear up the car so I jus left it as is for now, since its not that annoying.

• 55 posts

ask dealer if there is any service bulletins regarding your year corolla there probably is one. I have a 2004 Sienna and it was making a rattle in the rear sliding door area. only time it would happen would be on rough roads or cold weather. dealer located a bulletin regarding door lathc assembly. door latch was replaced with one that had a thicker rubberized coating and it cured the problem

Thanks guys,

I am very busy at work and I work 66km away from the nearest toyota dealership, so I will leave it till the first 10,000km service when I can take the day off and do the ride around. Unless, of course, something fails, like the rear window craps out or something. Something as serious as that would deserve immediate attention.

For now, I make sure my sunvisor CD holder is full of CDs - great invention, holds 12 cds and makes cds more accessible. Currently there is KISS, KC and the sunshine band, stevie wonder, ABBA, rolling stones, the eagles, pink floyd and alice cooper......real top shelf stuff!

In OZ there are no such thing as TSBs.........at least none that are available widely to the public. But I'll ring the service manager tomorrow anywhoo.

• 1,424 posts

I bet if you were to remove the door panel yourself, you'd find something loose inside it. However, I can understand how you might not want to go tearing into a brand new car. I always waited until the warranty had expired before I tried to fix any of the ratles myself.

Take it back to the dealer. Make them fix the rattles, that's what the warranty is there for. That is providing that you think your dealer has a decent service department. If you think they are going to screw it up more, then just keep doing what your doing now.

Best of luck getting the car fixed, I know how annoying rattles can be, my cars have had plenty of them

I'm really sort of surprized to hear about so many rattles on new cars. I learned something the last time I bought a car, and that is to drive a used version of a car you are interested in. We drove 3 used Corolla's about a year old and one of them with 33K miles. All of them were still really tight, and non of them had any rattles.

A new corolla should be rattle free. I wouldn't except anything else. If you are worried about your dealer not being capable of fixing them problem, then you might want to find another dealer. I wouldn't wait too long tho because rattles are sort of a grey area because a user could be the cause.

If you want the rattles fixed under warranty, at least get a warranty ticket started. Even if they don't fix it the first time, you can have a record that the car had rattles at low milage. Later you can work with Toyota and find a solution on your time. I think it's important to get a record of a warranty problem as soon as a problem comes up.

I'm new to Toyota, but so far, I am having the best of luck with them. My car seems to have been delivered 99% perfect. Around 500 miles, I noticed that the driver seat seemed a little loose. It made a knocking/poping noise when I moved around. I took the car to the dealer and they didn't try and give me any crap about it being normal. They ordered a new seat track and they must not have dug far enough to find the problem. The ended up ordereing me a whole new seat, and gave me a loaner 05 Rolla CE that had 5 miles on. I hope my car will be ready today because I like the LE 5sp much better then the auto CE, but they are fixing the problem. I kindly told them I wanted the problem fixed the first try and they are not closing the ticket untill it is fixed.

It's my understanding that Corolla's are built in Canada and California. True? Mine was built in California. Where are the rattle ones being made?

• 1,424 posts

Well C's Conquest Sedan is made in Japan b/c Toyota isn't going to ship Corollas from Canada or Cali to OZ.

Max

Corollas for the USA are built in Canada, Cali, and Japan. Those of us with rattles have cars that were built in all three places. I couldn't drive a used 9th gen Corolla because I bought an 03 - first year for the current model. Now, my '87 Celica has no rattles. Go figger.

Well C's Conquest Sedan is made in Japan b/c Toyota isn't going to ship Corollas from Canada or Cali to OZ.

I didn't see anything in the original post to show that it wasn't a US corolla. I guess the Km reading might have been a clue, but I don't see a location shown under the usernames and I don't even know what a Conquest sedan is. The tittle just had Rolla in it.

That would make everything I said pointless because I only know about US warranty laws.

Is this forum for US Corolla's? It's the only forum I could find.

Max

This forum is for Corolla owners all over the world. Our members are mostly U.S. folks, but we have many Canadians and a few Australians, too. Why not take some time to read through some threads to familiarize yourself with Corolland? Also, you can click on the username to see the member's profile.

Yes, mine is J-Vin - I specified a Japanese one because I assumed it was better made. I could have specified a south african one.

Now that I am back in Newcastle and driving about on hotmix [smooth pavement] The rattles are largely gone. There is a patch of spray seal couple of k's away that does eminate some rattle, though not nearly as bad on the weekend.

Well, my '90 corolla had rattles, my '00 had rattles...........maybe I am jinxed??? default_tongue

BTW a 'conquest' is just the mid-range corolla.........base is 'ascent' and top is the 'ultima'. A conquest has 4 power windows, cd player w/mp3, twin airbags, alloy wheels. The ascent buyer makes do without alloys, power windows, and passenger airbag; in addition to conquest the ultima scores ABS, side airbags, UV cut glass, cd stacker, fake woodgrain trim.

Thanks, gr4ever.

My 03 is starting to get the same seat noise you mentioned at 27K. I've been spraying with silicone lube and checking tracks.

Guess a trip to the dealer is required to see about the innards of the seat.

Topic List