Search Corolland!

Which Transmission Do You Have?

Which Transmission Do You Have?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which Transmission Do You Have?

• Automatic
    • Manual

See every reply in these pages:

3-speed auto on my '97 SD. Why? Cause I'm dumb.

I bought it in Toronto and the heavy traffic there would be a pain in the ###### to drive manual for me especially, since I balance coffee, doughnuts, pizza slices, radio stations, you name it, while I'm driving.

Next car is a manual Audi for the winding country roads.

I drove sticks for 12 years in my youth...but just too much for me now..especially in urban and suburban areas that I frequent.

Private seller call me she has a manual model. I'll say I take it. Crunching reserve gear for 6 months. Finally solved by changing the gear oil.

Bikeman982

The price of gas is too cheap in this country. If it's $5/gallon, then we'll see more stick shift and more fuel efficient cars, like 'Rollas. My understanding is in Europe and Asia, where gas is expensive, there are lot more stick shift than automatics.
They also drive small, more gas efficient cars. The roads are narrower and the cars are very plentiful.

• 1,424 posts
The price of gas is too cheap in this country. If it's $5/gallon, then we'll see more stick shift and more fuel efficient cars, like 'Rollas. My understanding is in Europe and Asia, where gas is expensive, there are lot more stick shift than automatics.

You're only partially correct in that thought. Part of the reason many people in Europe and Asia buy manual transmissions because of the improved fuel economy. The main reasons are because of cost and improved performance.

On a Focus sold in the United Kingdom, an automatic transmission costs 1000 pounds. That is equivalent to 1960 USD. On a US Focus, the automatic transmission option only costs 815 USD. On a lower cost car, paying 1000 extra pounds or 1960 USD for one option is hard for many people to justify when they've grown up with their parents shifting gears. For Americans whose parents had automatics, paying 815 isn't hard to justify.

Also, a Focus here comes with a 2.0L engine standard, the UK version has a 1.4L engine as the standard unit. If my engine was 30% smaller in a similar car, I'd be driving stick too just so the car was not an absolute slug.

In a similar manner, the UK Corolla comes standard with a 5 speed. The automatic version costs 1025 pounds more or almost 2000 USD more. The American Corolla 's automatic costs only 1000 USD. Again, not hard to justify for us, hard to justify for the people of the UK. And again, harder to justify an automatic on their Corolla with a 1.4L engine when we get a 1.8L on a highly similar car.

-the99contour

The only time you will find an auto in a euro car is on a top-end luxury sedan (eg. bmw 5 series, Audi A6 etc) or if a little old lady orders a new car. Most garden variety euro cars (fiats, vws, citroens and fords) aren't even available with an auto. Speaking of which, in most cases the auto trannies of 'normal' euro cars are rubbish. Not only do europeans pay big $$$ for fuel, but they are also taxed on tailpipe CO2 emissions (at least in the UK).

Here in oz just in the last couple of years autos have overtaken manuals in new corollas.

Last year I got to compare the fuel economy of an auto and a manual. I drove 2 examples of Holden Rodeo V6 4WD dual cabs for work; on my commute the auto returned better mileage. Still, it only returned 18 mpg on a mixed urban/freeway commute.

Been from South Africa, we dont really have many people driving automatics there, I think its also due to cost.

An auto is about 10 grand in SA currency more than a manual, cars back home are also far smaller as far as Liters are concerned.

I've tried getting used to an auto but Im now pretty stubborn in my habits, I enjoy the feeling of having (what feels to me) more control of the vehicle.

Anyhow think the manual is far more fun as well, but to each his own.

Cheers

Sheldon

Topic List: Go to Everything Else