Search Corolland!

Which Transmission Do You Have?

Which Transmission Do You Have?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which Transmission Do You Have?

• Automatic
    • Manual

See every reply in these pages:

I'm surprized manuals are doing so well. I'm pretty sure Toyota makes WAY more auto's then manuals. We acually had trouble finding our 5 speed. I think the dealer had two or three to choose from.

Have a 5 speed manual. Previous '99 Corolla was also a 5 spd.

We have an automatic, alot of big city driving with stop and go traffic. Much nicer to not have to constantly ride the clutch.

Yeah us who like automatics are just plain doofuses.

Perhaps, Jeff...but us "doofuses" are now in a significant -- and growing -- majority! While I can understand the preference for manual transmissions, they are simply impractical for people whose driving is primarily city stop-and-stop again, like mine is. Considering the fact that modern automatic transmissions don't impose a meaningful compromise on either performance or economy, there is really no practical reason to choose a manual transmission for a car like a Corolla. Granted, manual shifting may seem to be more "fun" but that "fun" disappears totally when you're in a miles-long tailback on an alleged "expressway" during rush hour, and your progress is measured in tens of yards for long stretches of time. Moreover, even here in "Lower, Slower" Delaware, true rural areas are all but disappearing due to out-of-control development, and even the formerly fun-to-drive country roads are now all but gridlocked for hours each day. I just don't want to spend over half of my commute rowing between first and second gear, when I can have a machine do that chore for me much more efficiently, and with less wear-and-tear on my aging left knee joint.

Another important consideration is that automatic transmissions equal maximum resale value in cars like Corollas. Remember -- a Corolla is NOT a sports car, no matter how hard the Kiddie-Racers try to hammer their square-peg Corollas into that round hole.

Manual, cause I'm cheap and it was $1000 less than the auto

Actually, my drving style suits a stick tranny. Someone once told me with the way I drive, I would kill an auto tranny! default_blink

Also I rather be in control of the tranny, than the tranny having a mind of it's own, especially in winter.

13000 kms, still figuring clutch out and spinning front tires on ice and snow default_sad

...Considering the fact that modern automatic transmissions don't impose a meaningful compromise on either performance or economy, there is really no practical reason to choose a manual transmission for a car like a Corolla....
That depends on your definition of "meaningful". A torque converter constantly slips in an automatic transmission, giving up a little power and fuel economy compared to a manual. The new Corolla automatics are rated at 30mpg city/38mpg highway, while manuals are rated at 32/41. If you look at the figures shown on www.fueleconomy.gov the manual tranny averages annual fuel savings of $82 over an automatic. At that rate, you consume almost $550 more fuel over 100,000 miles.

And although you get some of your money back on the automatic tranny when you resell it, it's only a fraction of the $800 you paid for it. For example, per Kelly Blue Book, the added value at trade-in of a '95 Corolla with 90,000 miles with an automatic is $225.00.

I've driven mostly manual tranny cars most of my life, and I've never worn out a clutch. My Corolla has 276,000 miles. I bought it with 121,000 miles so I don't know if the clutch is original. I previously owned an '88 Accord that I bought new, and sold with the original clutch with 157,000 miles. The reliability, and cost to maintain an automatic over its life is worse as well. If you keep your car as long as I do, it makes sense to buy a manual. default_smile

13000 kms, sill figuring clutch out and spinning front tires on ice and snow default_sad
Just let them spin a little. If it gets so bad that you loose control, shift to 2nd gear early (or start in 2nd gear).

Oh and just how do you drive to kill an auto tranny?

That depends on your definition of "meaningful". A torque converter constantly slips in an automatic transmission, giving up a little power and fuel economy compared to a manual. The new Corolla automatics are rated at 30mpg city/38mpg highway, while manuals are rated at 32/41. If you look at the figures shown on www.fueleconomy.gov the manual tranny averages annual fuel savings of $82 over an automatic. At that rate, you consume almost $550 more fuel over 100,000 miles.

And although you get some of your money back on the automatic tranny when you resell it, it's only a fraction of the $800 you paid for it. For example, per Kelly Blue Book, the added value at trade-in of a '95 Corolla with 90,000 miles with an automatic is $225.00.

I've driven mostly manual tranny cars most of my life, and I've never worn out a clutch. My Corolla has 276,000 miles. I bought it with 121,000 miles so I don't know if the clutch is original. I previously owned an '88 Accord that I bought new, and sold with the original clutch with 157,000 miles. The reliability, and cost to maintain an automatic over its life is worse as well. If you keep your car as long as I do, it makes sense to buy a manual. default_smile

Actually, the torque converter isn't "constantly" slipping at all. If fact, it slips only for a small portion of each acceleration/deceleration cycle; it is locked up for the majority of the time. True, at lower speeds, you are in "slippage" mode for a longer time, but with an automatic, you're usually in a higher overall gear ratio while the slippage is occurring. I'm not saying that automatics are _AS_ efficient as manuals, but they are not what I'd call "inefficient" whatsoever. And, in my own Corolla experience -- 2 years and 21,000 miles manual, 3 years and 35,000 miles automatic, I've not noticed an appreciable difference in fuel economy, city or highway, in the kind of driving I do. My guess is that most people wouldn't.

Now, addressing the "control" issue. In 3 years of driving my Corolla LE automatic in way more sorts of conditions than I did the 5-speed, I've NEVER encountered any sitiation where the 5-speed performed better from a standpoint of traction or control, either accelerating or decelerating. About the only possible advantage I can attribute to a manual transmission is that upon coming to a final stop, say from 10 to zero MPH, the act of depressing the clutch pedal and disconnecting the drive line does tend to allow the car to stop in a more positive manner than with an automatic, where the driveline is constantly "loaded" through the torque converter. However, this effect can be replicated by simply shifting to neutral at the aforementioned 10 mph, which I often will do when I find a need to reduce my braking distance, such as when caught by a red light. I''m also aware that with a stick shift, one can use second-gear starts on icy surfaces and get going with a bit more sure-footedness; but with my excellent all-season tires (Goodyear ****urance TripleTred) I've not needed to do this, and in fact, have never done it in hundreds of thousands of miles driving other manual-transmission vehicles.

If your driving is primarily highway, then the choice of transmission becomes somewhat more favorably weighted toward the manual. However, if you do ANY driving in high-traffic situations, I feel the reduction of driver effort afforded by the automatic is an overwhelmingly decisive factor. If you actually LIKE mindlessly rowing through gears, then by all means, knock yourselves right out. However, I don't call that "fun" driving -- at least not in an econo-box grocery-getter and commuter car such as a Corolla. Now, put me in a REAL performance car, on the Autobahn or a racetrack where I can drive it like it's supposed to be driven, then I want the manual gearbox to get the full effect. However, on public roads, I have no Walter Mitty-ish procliviites, and I find the automatic quite an advantage.

One more thing about resale values. Whenever I see a car with a manual transmission, I just naturally assume that it's been flogged mercilessly by a driver with something to prove to himself. Therefore, I immediately place that car in the poorest condition category. I'm willing to give a car with an automatic a bit more benefit of the doubt.

When I see a auto for sale, I naturaly assume it was driven to the mall by a blond bimbo with the ebrake left one, the oil changed once every 2.5 years.

A whole clutch kit is acually pretty cheap and if a clutch is slipping or worn, you can usually save a LOT of money when buying a car. I have a friend who got a TT stealth for 8K cause the owner didn't want to deal with a clutch job. Changing it kinda sucked on that car (cause the engine bay was cram packed and the tranny weighed a ton and it was AWD), but for a FWD car, it's usually pretty easy. Pretty much unbolt the starter, remove the shifter cables, speedo cable, tranny mount, and maybe some stuff in the way, and then unbolt the trans. No big deal.

Just let them spin a little. If it gets so bad that you loose control, shift to 2nd gear early (or start in 2nd gear).

I let them spin a little, or shift early in 2nd. I haven't been able to slowly take off, still looking for the sweet spot for starting, reverse and shifting to other gears is OK

Oh and just how do you drive to kill an auto tranny?

I tend to take my foot on and off the gas a lot and in an automatic it's alsways changing gears. Then again most of my experience with automatics is 80's GM 3-speed. Tried a Ford Focus automatic, didn't like how it revved up on the highway on ramp.

A friend rented a Yaris automatic while on vacation (he also swears by manuals). He said it was veeeeery nice (for an automatic default_tongue )

Grew up driving both types of transmissions. Both have their unique advantages and disadvantages - many issues that have been brought up here. Reliability is more dependant on maintenance than if you shift it or it shifts itself. As for vehicle control really depends on driving conditions (could make valid arguments for both). But modern transmissions are starting to blur the capabilities of both thypes. Manuals can be had with automatic servos that shift for you - automatics now have advanced logic and feedback information to hold gears in some instances and give a manual transmission-like behavior.

I have one of each type right now - great for days that I feel like shifting them myself or letting the tranny do it for me. Though I tend to drive "harder" with the stick (I'm not sure if that has something to do with actually shifting the gears myself or hitting "lift" on that engine - unfortunantely is tends to be addictive). Fuel economy is more influenced by your right foot than the choice of tranny.

Now the only thing I have to worry about is my "clutch" leg stamping at a non-existent clutch when I switch between driving the manual to the auto - or the occasional slip of leaving a dead stop in a higher gear (with the all the stumbling and bucking included for free) when going the other way around.

[

I got a manual because it was cheaper and more reliable. It was hard to find used. There aren't that many out there.

I don't mind the shifting. Its not like I have to get up off the couch and walk to the other room to SHIFT GEARS! I am right there in the drivers seat not doing much of anything anyway! The Prizm shifter is snappy and makes me think I am driving a racecar!!!!!!!!! Granny Gear is fantastic.

I give my passengers HEADACHES FROM SNAPPING THIER HEADS BACK AND FORTH...YAHOO! If I don't see my passengers head snapping up and down when I shift, I'm not doing it right.

Now if you wanna sloppy shifter, try the 5 speed in my F-150. The throw length is a foot and a half!

Bikeman982

I would think more automatics are on the road than manual. I would have voted more, but I was limited to one vote. Larry - I read your last entry and thought it was GREAT. I can relate totally here in California - growth of housing has gone crazy and each house brings with it 2 or 3 or 4 more cars for the same roads. The transportation systems are unable to keep up with the increasing use of the roads. I have been to Delaware and know what you mean about your area as well. I would love to live in a big city like Los Angeles for the abundance of activities, but the traffic just aggravates me too much. I am a short distance, on the roads during off hours by choice, driver. Whenever I can avoid peak traffic times or events, I do. I know sometimes you have no choice and self restraint and patience is the only thing that can prevent the road rage from surfacing. There are many idiots out there driving (sorry to say I have been one at times, but not always) that ruin a nice days drive.

-- a Corolla is NOT a sports car, no matter how hard the Kiddie-Racers try to hammer their square-peg Corollas into that round hole.

default_laugh MUAHAHAHA

Whenever I see a car with a manual transmission, I just naturally assume that it's been flogged mercilessly by a driver with something to prove to himself.

Seriously, I know someone who came from London recently. He scared crap out of me with his manual-style automatic driving. Shifts all the way on every stop and engages parkin brake at red light. I know his car won't last long and if I were shoppin I would not buy it no matter what he does to keep it running.

... Both have their unique advantages and disadvantages

I tried Prius and I loved it. Accelerates faster than Mazda RX. Gens electricity while braking. No overdrive. Totally a city car. A couple let-downs - costs more than Im willing to afford and ugly shaped.

Bikeman982

Eventually there will be more choices and better prices available for hybrid cars.

They are great as far as gas mileage and that is what fuel economy minded individuals want.

I have to worry about is my "clutch" leg stamping at a non-existent clutch

LOL...man you brought back one of the funniest memories I have as a kid. My old man was driving my uncles Dodge Ram monster pickup....an auto tranny. Well my bro and I were holding pies...this was before the seatbelt days. So we get up to a good speed and the beast probably only had a 3 speed auto but the whine of the motor triggered something in my old man's brain to pound the clutch in to shift.

Well the clutch was really the brake pedal. Need I go any further?

I'll never forget those huge tires screaming away...and us flying off the dashboard and the pies going everywhere....LOL.

>>influenced by your right foot than the choice of tranny. <<

Thats how it went for me...I get almost the same mileage when we had similar cars with both trannies.

I will never go back to manual trannies....esp with 5 and 6 speed autos' being used. Sorry if this was mentioned for snow driving nothing works better to get a auto tranny car going then using the #2 gear...when its in D the tires might spin the car really tracks out nice in #2.

• 1,424 posts

I can drive stick, choose not to. I do almost all highway driving, auto is too easy and the fuel economy penalty is so small that I could not justify stick.

IMHO, best of both worlds is a semi-automatic or manumatic. Being able to shift gears manually on your favorite driving road and not having to in traffic is ideal. The Mazda3 I drive from time to time has this feature and I love it. I almost never drive the car in auto, unless I need to talk on the phone or something.

Bikeman982

I have driven both and I think automatic is easier, but standard was better on gas.

I have an automatic now and I think that is more common.

I got an automatic because shifting gears interferes with drinking coffee on my morning commute.

I primarily drive during off-peak times and love my 5 speed.

It just feels more directly connected than my son's LE automatic.

Now, my wife hates the quicker pickup from stops even though I drive very conservatively.

Bikeman982

I got an automatic because shifting gears interferes with drinking coffee on my morning commute.
It also allows talking on the cell phone, skimming the newspaper, changing tapes or CD's, and eating lunch when you are trying to drive.

Got a manual on my 2005. I find that it's easier to control during the winter conditions here in Canada. At the same time, it's a pain during stop-and-go traffic.

Stick shifting saves gas, which means lessening our dependence of Middle East oil. That reason alone is worth learning and driving it.

Bikeman982

Stick shifting saves gas, which means lessening our dependence of Middle East oil. That reason alone is worth learning and driving it.
There would have to be a significant increase in stick shift cars to make any kind of an impact on dependence on the Middle East oil.

The price of gas is too cheap in this country. If it's $5/gallon, then we'll see more stick shift and more fuel efficient cars, like 'Rollas. My understanding is in Europe and Asia, where gas is expensive, there are lot more stick shift than automatics.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else