Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1zzfe Longevity

by gramparsons, March 24, 2005 in Performance, Engines, Engine Swaps, Cornering

See every reply in these pages:

Well

I'm pretty close to hit 100K on the odometer after 8 years of ownership, and the way things are goung it will take me 10 years to get those magic number *250K*. I supose the engine can make it, bit not sure if other parts will joint the engine that day for selebration. In the other hand I'm going to deal with mid-age crisis....

I've got 143,000 miles on my 98 corolla, and haven't had too much trouble with it. So far I've had to replace the starter and the fuel pressure regulator/filter. It leaks/burns about 1 qt of oil every 5000 miles, which isn't enough to worry about yet.

I've also got a 93 camry with 204,000 miles, that has aged very well. Makes much less noise on the road than my corolla. If I had to put money on it, I'd bet on my camry lasting longer in good condition.

Bikeman982

Gram,

I've never know anybody with any Toyota where the engine died before 150k. Most of the people I know who have owned their Toyotas long term have between 200k and 300k with no engine problems. I have no doubt that Toyota has engineered the engine in the current generation Corolla to be just as reliable as the previous engines. As long as you maintain it properly, the engine will outlast your interest with the car.

Many folks have said that.

My interest with the car pretty much ended the minute I drove it off the lot. It is strickly a how-cheap-can-I-make-my-100-mile-commute decision. It's been good so far, but the longer it lasts the better that equation gets.

So, I'm already out of love with it. Even when I do decide to get an around-town vehicle (boy, do I miss my F150) when the 'Rolla reaches beater status (at 55k on an '04 model, she's still a loooong way from beater but it won't take long to get there), I'm hoping to drive it into the ground and leave it in a flaming heap on the side of the interstate.

Then, I'll probably go pick up another cheapest-to-drive car. If the 'rolla makes it to 300k, it'll probably be another Corolla. Something less than 200k, then there are more attractive alternatives.

I would suggest you sell your car right now and get yourself one that gets 60 MPG. You are already dissapointed with the car and although the fuel mileage is good, there are cars that get much better. If you don't like the looks or the appearance, the reliability and dependability won't matter as much. You will not be happy with it unless your attitude about it changes, thus my suggestion for you to change it now. Find the very cheapest car to drive and then get that one. You may be equally unhappy, but you will not be spending a lot of money for that same unhappiness, and that may give you some satisfaction. Why drive a car you don't like??

I think you want to know at what point will the cost of repair outweighs the cost of getting rid of it and getting a replacement. By common practice, there is at least a 75% mark-up on parts and that does not include any labor to change those parts. Take the price you pay for a new car from a dealer and multiply that by 3. That is what it would cost you to get the same car, buying it piece by piece. Double that amount and that is what the repairs would cost you in labor to have someone else change the parts for you and do the normal maintenance. Your car has always been depreciating from the time it was driven out of the first dealership.

I have had cars for 12 or 13 years and those were the old cars. New cars can go even longer before it would cost you more to fix than it would be to replace. Your interest in the car will be long-gone before then and you will get something else. Just sell the car now to someone who wants it for what it is, not for how long they can stretch out it's life.

Guest Bear

2007 Toyota Corolla, 257K and going strong.

• 110 posts

2003 Corolla CE - maxed out the odometer at 299,999. Tried using the trip meter to count after that, but they roll over around 10,000? My guess is that I am around 350,000 miles on engine.

2005 Toyota Corolla, 190 000 miles.

It's starting to show, however. Im debating whether I should just get a new model, honestly. 

Is this engine still used in newer models?

Topic List: Go to Performance, Engines, Engine Swaps, Cornering