Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2001 Corollas Vs Corolla S

Guest FUZZYBEAR

default_huh i own a 2001 corolla which i believe was rated at 130 hp, while the "s" models put out 170hp. does the same year or newer corolla "s" models have the same engine as the other corollas? if yes,or if similar, what parts can be changed to increase the performance of a "stock" motor into a "s" motor? for instance throttle body, injectors,ecm,etc. another thought is , can a "s" motor be swapped right into a "stock " corolla? i ask these questions while a friend of mine askes, why go through all this trouble to turn a "econo-box" into a race car, just go buy an evo or wrx... and i reply, "because its a challange, plus the insurance is alot cheaper" fuzzybear

Ti-Jean

default_huh i own a 2001 corolla which i believe was rated at 130 hp, while the "s" models put out 170hp. does the same year or newer corolla "s" models have the same engine as the other corollas? if yes,or if similar, what parts can be changed to increase the performance of a "stock" motor into a "s" motor? for instance throttle body, injectors,ecm,etc. another thought is , can a "s" motor be swapped right into a "stock " corolla? i ask these questions while a friend of mine askes, why go through all this trouble to turn a "econo-box" into a race car, just go buy an evo or wrx... and i reply, "because its a challange, plus the insurance is alot cheaper" fuzzybear

Yeah, but here, many insurance companys won't insure a modified car. Better check before than tell them after you had an accident...

Are you speaking of a US 2001 model? As both regular and S models in North America had the same 125hp 1ZZ-FE engine in the 8th generation model.

The 170 hp engine was introduced with the 9th generation for 2003.

Max

U.S. '03 - '05 CE, S, and LE have 130hp. The '05 XRS sports 170 hp.

Ti-Jean is right- whatever you do, make sure your car can be insured.

Both Ti-Jean and Max are spot on. 8th gen Corollas made 120HP - 125HP (VVT-i added 5 ponies), 9th gen Corollas made 130HP on the same engine series (1ZZ-FE). The new XRS makes 170HP with the hotter 2ZZ-GE (VVTL-i - adds "Lift" similar to Honda i-VTEC).

As far as I know - there are two documented swaps of the 2ZZ-GE engine into a 8th generation Corolla (1998-2002).

Here is a link to one of them:

http://www.phoenixtuning.com/toyota/swaps/mantis.html

- took the 1ZZ-FE non-VVTi (120HP) and swapped in a 2ZZ-GE from a Matrix XRS (180HP).

An engine swap or forced induction are the only ways to go with these newer engines. Crower has revised camshafts that may pump up the power - but I haven't seen any number from them yet. 1ZZ-FE generally do not generate significant gains from a port and polish - same goes with stand alone-fuel management.

Guest FUZZYBEAR

YES, I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE U.S. MODELS AND I DRIVE A 2001 LE MODEL.. THANKS FOR THE GOOD INFO, I'M SURE OTHERS WILL BENIFIT FROM THIS TOO...

I've got a 2001 LE - 125 hp. love it!

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)