Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By mickemoose, March 10, 2005

I hate that annoying plastic strap that is attached from the gas cap to the fuel door. I know, I know, it's there to keep you from losing your gas cap and vehicles have had them for years. During the first few fill-ups, the strap on my Corolla wasn't a problem, but now it's becoming a hindrance when I open and close the gas cap. Besides constantly getting twisted, the strap pulls tight on the gas cap making the cap difficult to turn counterclockwise to open.

Any suggestions on how to get this strap to behave properly? Right now, I'm at the point where I feel like taking my wire cutters and cutting the strap. (On my old '93 Ford Explorer I use to own, the gas cap strap finally snapped from the cold weather and I was happy when it did!) default_biggrin

By the way, why doesn't the Corolla gas filler neck have a metal cap which opens when the fuel nozzle is inserted and closes when the nozzle is removed? All of my previous cars have had this. I assume this metal cap is to help prevent foreign objects from entering the gas tank?

Does the Corolla have some other kind of screen or filter further down in the gas filler neck to guard against something from falling into the gas tank?

If thine strap offends thee, pluck it out!

That's funny, I would swear my '04 corolla has the metal cap you speak of. Also the strap on mine has to be different from yours because it can't really become twisted: it's free to move on the cap, meaning the strap doesn't move then you screw/unscrew the cap. Maybe they changed some stuff for the '05 ? Or perhaps it's another one of those stupid US/Canada model differences? Can someone else confirm this?

The wire that holds the gas cap is fine for my car and it does not twist when I open or close the cap. Also my car doesnt doesnt have that metal cap/tab.

On my 03, the strap swivels around on the cap

Check another car on the dealer's lot. Maybe yours has a problem.

By the way, why doesn't the Corolla gas filler neck have a metal cap which opens when the fuel nozzle is inserted and closes when the nozzle is removed? All of my previous cars have had this. I assume this metal cap is to help prevent foreign objects from entering the gas tank?

Does the Corolla have some other kind of screen or filter further down in the gas filler neck to guard against something from falling into the gas tank?

My '97 has one.

It's probably there for fire hazards, keeps the gas and fumes sealed off from the atmosphere.

Are you sure it's not stuck open, and not springing back shut?

I dont think they have the tabs on the 05s

Guest BIGTNEW

i wish i had a starp i have forgot my on the trunk or on top of the car dozens of times.

I think my strap swivels, but it still gets all twisted. I think it's pretty annoying too. I also would rather have a threaded gas cap instead of the 'twist and click' type that is on my '05. All of my previous toyotas had threaded caps...I wonder why they switched?

Dai_Shan

I've never had a twisted strap issue with my 05. Cap doesn't require a whole lot of twisting for me. Maybe you just need to move the strap to a diffferent possition to get sync'd with the cap twist (if that makes any sense haha)

Guest xPAGANx

Take your Corolla to the dealership and tell them it is causing problems. I would bet they will fix it for you for free. My dealership has great customer service and I expect any toyota dealership should.

If it doesn't work correctly, it's covered on your warranty.

Topic List