Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

CB Radio

Guest va8097

I need some help on installing a CB radio into my '95 Corolla. I've already wired it into the cigarrett lighter, but whenever I turn on my headlights, I can't draw enough amps to power both, so my CB shuts off. I've thought about wiring it into the A/C fuse, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

-Daniel

Guest raycastro

The best setup would be for you to wire power and ground directly to the battery. I’m not sure how far you are mounting the radio from your battery, but to be safe, I would use at least a 10 gauge wire that is durable and certified for automotive use. If you can find a twisted pair that is up to that spec, that would be even better. You would also want to add an additional fuse for the power line close to the battery.

What kind of CB are you running? I once ran a tuned Midland 79-290 with a Galaxy 250HD amp and a mag mount Wilson 1000 antenna. I talked skip all the way from California to the East Coast, and to Western Canada in my little Corolla. That was during a time when the conditions were that good. After that, I had it for a while for highway information, which saved me hours of sitting in traffic. I eventually got tired of that big ugly antenna, so I took it all out.

Guest va8097

Wow... that completely blows away my setup. I just have a Cobra 19DXIII hooked up to a fairly small antenna. I can't remember the manu. though. I can usually get from my house to the highway. But thanks for the information. I never would've though of an extra fuse. It's a good idea.

Guest raycastro

I have an older Cobra radio similar to the 19DXIII. In that case, you should be able to run 12 gauge wire instead of 10 gauge. You may be even be able to get away with 14 gauge. If you're going to go through all the trouble wiring to the battery, might as well go bigger just in case. default_smile Let me know how it turns out.

Where is your antenna mounted?

Topic List