Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guest mrmagoo_83

Guest mrmagoo_83

Guest mrmagoo_83

Ok this is kind of like the Geo I saw down there.

Car has 145,000 miles, replaced fuel filter, O2 sensor; plugs, distributor, rotor, and wires are all good.

It too has a cracked exaust manafold, is this a common thing with these cars?

But still no matter what I have done it runs rich, and idles rough, takes off rough, and has no power, but smooths out at higher speeds.

Now the thing is, if I unplug the third fuel injector, it runs somewhat better, not perfect, but not to the point of which I wonder if its going to die or not when I stop at a red light.

Any suggestions? I thought about replacing the fuel injector, but they want $175 for ONE!!! That is just insane, I can buy 4 refurbed for like $100. Heck I can even buy 8 for my jeep for $200, but $175 for one, these things better be gold!!

So anyway, can anyone help me?

Guest hdtrc

Well...I have a '93 Corolla DX 1.8. I did a complete tune up including adjusting the valves and my car ran better but not quite right. Then I tried a bottle of STP Concentrated FI cleaner and within 1 mile the car started running better...no lie! My car had 135k on it and I bought it from the original owner. I know for a fact she never revved the engine beyond 3,000 rpm and rarely drove more than 25mi. at a shot.

Guest orge1126

my car had the same problem, low idle in the morning, power loss, i took it to the mechanic and they replaced the fuel filter and raise the valve timing 8 degress higher than manufacture recommended, and the car somehow runs smoother and slightly faster now, but low idle in the moring still happens sometime, i am suspecting that my fuel injector is dirty and maybe the cat is clogged...

Guest triggers auto repair

try a injector drop test . install a good fuel psi gauge , unplug all injectors, cylce key to run to presurize the fuel rail. Note presure. does pressure hold? if so next unplug fuel pump fuse or relay should still hold psi. then plug up one injector. spin over engine. note psi drop. reinstal electrical connector for fuel pump ( relay or fuse) cycle key again to reprime fuel system. unlplug first injector and plug up the next. repeat and note psi drops. this sould tell you if number three is bad.

But you might want to try removing the fuel filter drain it and fill it up with a good quality fuel injector cleaner . reinstall it and crank up the the car to get a instant concentrated cleaning. carefull though this is a little dangerous make sure you air dry all wet gas spills

If it idles rough, especailly when the engine is cold, it's usually because the engine mounts are worn out. I've changed all 4 mounts and it idles nicely now.

I found this site where this Malaysian guy documented the whole process. default_tongue

Interesting read: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/361418/2

Guest yigo65

I know for the 92 corolla's the cracked exhaust manifold was common, happened to mine, fairly inexpensive to fix, and easy to do yourself.

Topic List