Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Fast Can I Get My 98

Guest redinine

Well, i've been thinking about it and i wanna make my corolla faster. Maybe run a 15 lol. Anyways, the only parts short of a turbo i can think of are underdrive pulleys, a muffler, and cold air intake. I figured that may only get me to about 145 hp, my goal is 150? I also thought about dropping on a carbon fiber hood. Any suggestions to get some more hp or lighten my car some>?

I hear pple talk about lighter flywheel, port and polish, etc, on other corolla forums.

Guest redinine

thanks, now i just have to figure out if its worth starting to modify it lol...whats the fastest quarter mile time or 0-60 you guys have gotten? what specs?

I dunno, never tried it n my car is still stock. Dont have ne money to mod my car ATM. default_sad

I know of several that have touched the 14 -15 second range with 5-speed 1998-1999 Corollas. They run intakes, exhaust, underdrive pulleys, lighten them (remove spare tire, jack, rear seats, etc.), and two of them run a 25 shot of NOS.

The ones with NOS put down between 145-150 HP to the wheels. Bone stock 1ZZFEs without VVT-i put down between 95 (auto)-100 (manual) HP to the wheels. Not a whole lot more you can do with the 1ZZFE - since it was designed for efficiency and not performance.

I would shy away from the underdrive pulleys - since you will be removing the harmonic balancer (OEM pulley) - a underdrive pulley will result in a good chance to damage the crank in a very short time. Chipping the car will not yield too much - better if teamed with a better intake and exhaust. May be looking at a realistic 5-10WHP with that. OEM flywheel is right around 18lbs - most "lighweight" flywheels are around the 13lb-15lb range. You'll see the revs rise faster with the lighter wheel - but the torquey 1ZZFE will benefit most from a heavier flywheel. The most realistic approach would be to lighten the car and get better wheels (lightweight). For every lb you save from each corner - will translate to a 10lb weight reduction to the car. Every 100lbs you can shave off the car will give you 0.1 - 0.2 seconds off your ETs.

If it worth it - that is a personal choice. There are other cars that have more potential than the 1ZZFE for making power with simple bolt ons - but don't be discouraged.

Good Luck.

Guest 1FastVolvo

i'd like to see a turbo'd up corolla scoot down the track...that ought to get from here to there fairly quick.

i dont think you'll shave much weight from removing simple items like jacks and things, maybe if you fueled up with just enough gas to get you down the track and back, that would lighten things up more than taking the rear seats out. seats dont actually weigh that much truthfully. Nitrous isnt a bad idea either, just make sure to be sensitive with it, and every time you use it remember not to push too hard, your you'll end up snips creek with no paddle. Ive had my share of Nitrous experiences, I personally didnt like it, it was a nice surge of power, but mix nitrous with 25 pounds of boost and you might run into trouble in my case.

i'd say a 98 would get down the track in about 17.5 with a trap speed of 85-90

people often mistake nitrous of having its own octane. nitrous contains no octaine, it needs gas fumes and air to burn. you get more power not because of "octane" in it, you get it because it burns hotter and cleaner.

just my $.02

Guest trdcorolla

There is a shop in the los angeles area in cali that makes camshafts and throttle bodies for the 98 corolla, i head a corolla that had both of the upgrades still passed smog, who knows?

Topic List