Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Insurance Costs

by c2105026, February 12, 2005

See every reply in these pages:

Hi, i have just taken over ownership of my 'rolla, and as such I have taken out a new policy. For a 21 y.o. guy with a 55% no-claim bonus I am paying about AUS$1370 a year, which is steep. What are others paying? Is insurance higher than this in the US/Canada?

Max

I pay a little over $1,000 a year, and that's full coverage with a good driver discount. My monthly premium has risen 30 dollars in three years. They keep telling me, as they increase the premium every six months, it's because "Your make and model is expensive to fix." All righty then.

I believe we pay about 1800CND a year (with about a 75% of full discount).

They jacked it up (was 1650 the first year) because it's apparently one of the most commonly crashed vehicles in my province default_blink

Guest Toyota-san

$1059 per year using Erie.

Within the last year I have received a lot of discounts, for no claims, safe driving, and being a long-term (over 10 years) customer of my insurance carrier, Nationwide. I'm paying approx. USD 1100 per year. I'm 52 years old, single, male, zero-accident driving record.

Around 1550$ CDN for me I think. I got a discount because I insured my apartment at the same place (the discount actually paid for the other insurance). Next year I'm probably going to drop most of it and assume the risk myself because I really don't feel like paying two or three car's worth of insurance over my lifetime for the people who drive recklessly.

Oh and when I took that I was 22 and didn't have an insurance record (neither bad nor good).

Allstate's charging me $86US per month for full coverage at 25yrs+/good driver/married rates. That includes $1,000,000 in liability and in uninsured motorist insurance. Also rental reimbursement.

I've only made a single claim when my car was broken into. Also had a speeding ticket 6+ years ago.

Guest goldeneye

For my LE05, I'm paying $2,200 per year. No accidents, no tickets, one kid. I use Gieco. Reason why I'm paying so much is that I live and work in Manhattan, New York City. Thinking of moving out so that I can bring down my insurance.

For my LE05, I'm paying $2,200 per year. No accidents, no tickets, one kid. I use Gieco. Reason why I'm paying so much is that I live and work in Manhattan, New York City. Thinking of moving out so that I can bring down my insurance.

Wow.. this is insane

I pay 70$/month [98 Corolla] 32 male, one kid. accident-free, no claims. Full coverage.

Farmers Insurance

I'm around $74 a month, 2005 Corolla S, 26 male, married/no kids, accident free/no claims, full coverage, bunch of multpolicy discounts (insure house, two cars, life, etc etc) - State Farm in rural PA

Ti-Jean

I pay $558.C/year. $1M Liability but 1K deductible all around. Male 45, 2 cars and house at same place. And I live on the island of Montreal, most expensive place in the province.

Thing is that in Quebec, all medical insurance is covered with our annual licence plates, total $255./year. Driver's licence (no demerits points) is $86. every other year.

Oh, and gas is the most expensive in North America, because of all the taxes. To improve the roads they say, apparently...

Guest cobrajet25

State Farm charges me about $37/month for my '90 sedan. That does not include comp or collision. I am 30, single, no accidents/tickets. I have been with them for about 10 years, and have other policies through them (I think I get a multi-line discount). Regards, Aaron

Here in Ontario, Canada, car insurance is outrageously expensive. I pay $150 per month in Canadian funds which is about $115 US. My rate would be considered reasonable compared to others. Some people (young people) are charged $500 per month or more. I have heard stories of new immigrants to Canada actually not being able to get insurance at all.

I am 41, single, no accidents, but no real driving history as I have only owned a car since last May.

Having an accident is devastating in terms of one's premium. Your premium will probably go up by hundreds of dollars per month. The result? Many people are not reporting accidents and are paying cash. I personally take the view that insurance should be "saved" for a major accident. If you put in a claim for a small fender bender, yes they will pay the claim, but they will brutally extract the monies from you over the next few years with horrendous premiums.

It is not uncommon for insurance premiums to be higher than the lease payments on a vehicle.

I pay $675 per year for car & pickup. Full coverage on Corolla ($500 deductable) and liability and med on pickup (California)

We're paying about $650 per year on the wagon, with pretty high liability coverage and something like $25 deductible on collision/comprehensive. I'm 26, married, with one accident six years ago that probably doesn't count anymore.

We have two other cars on the policy (the wagon is our most expensive), plus our renter's insurance, in Kentucky.

-Dave

27 male in California with AAA, liability only multicar and home owner combined insurance. $387 per year.

Good deal if you ask me, but I pretty much get the minimum insurance since my rolla is already 10 years old and worth less than US$3k, why bother going any higher?

Guest CorollaGuy

I'm 23 with an '05 LE, and I pay around $160 a month through State Farm (even with a good student discount, I might add). This is in U.S. dollars. I'm thinking of moving my coverage over to some of the more local insurance companies that offer better rates.

I'm 23 with a 98 LE, and I pay 800 per year for full coverage.

Guest hanijamal

insurance is ridiculous in Toronto, Ontario...

As a 20 year old driver, fully licensed.. driving for 4 years with no tickets and accidents.. im paying 310CDA a month.

and this is cheap compared to a lot of younger drivers in Toronto who are getting quoted anywhere from 400-700 dollars a month..

yes.. no joke..

Yea, I was jus down in the GTA last weekend, n there was so much pple n cars, they drove so wrecklessly. When there so even a lil be of space, they squeezed in. N I was thinking that the insurance must be damn expensive compared to Ottawa. Guess I was rite.

I pay about $750 a year - too much if you ask me, I've never had a wreck.

Don't move out to New Jersey, it's almost impossible to get insured here never mind get cheap insurance.

Apparently things are about to improve on the choice of insurers but I doubt the price will come down.

We contacted 15 insurance companies and a number of brokers all except one said they wouldn't deal with insurance in NJ or they weren't taking on new clients.

We got a joint car/renter insurance in the end (because we had to) and pay $2760 for our S05. No accidents/claims/points.

Because my wife commutes over 10 miles each way the premium we were quoted went up by an extra $469 a year; she travels 21 miles each way!!

Next year we plan to move within 5 miles of her workplace so at least that part of the cost will be gone (they probably have a "living too close to work" penalty).

Moggi1964

friendly_jacek

I will chime in.

I have 2 cars: corolla for commuting and AWD subaru for fun. Corolla is more expensive to insure by a wide margin. I would guess the accident rate in entry level cars like corolla is higher than everage.

Guest CorollaGuy

Don't move out to New Jersey, it's almost impossible to get insured here never mind get cheap insurance.

Apparently things are about to improve on the choice of insurers but I doubt the price will come down.

We contacted 15 insurance companies and a number of brokers all except one said they wouldn't deal with insurance in NJ or they weren't taking on new clients.

We got a joint car/renter insurance in the end (because we had to) and pay $2500 for our S05. No accidents/claims/points.

Because my wife commutes over 10 miles each way the premium we were quoted went up by an extra $469 a year; she travels 21 miles each way!!

Next year we plan to move within 5 miles of her workplace so at least that part of the cost will be gone (they probably have a "living too close to work" penalty).

Moggi1964

Wow, I was planning on going to Jersey for school, but it looks like just the cost of insuring my car will be prohibitive to moving there. I have an at-fault accident, so I imagine my premium would increase drastically...

Phone around CorollaGuy, you never know!

I am told that things are going to improve (not sure why) and State Farm has recently begun taking new policies again though they quoted me the other day: $1892 for 6 months cover!!!!!!!!!

I live in Hoboken which is a pretty nice neighbourhood but almost all parking is on-street so that likely affects the price.

I'm sure there are parts of NJ that are easier to get insured in or at least cheaper anyway.

Good luck.

Topic List