Sign in to follow this  
myprizm

Synthetic Oil

I just replaced my 2007 Corolla  with 137K miles, which was totalled by insurance, with 2013 Corolla with 35K miles. I know, based on the records which I found, that previous owner used Synthetic Oil  00279 0w201 01 0w20.  I don't have much experience with synthetic oil so my questions are: 1. are synthetic oils compatible ? and 2. what is the recommended interval for oil change? My previous Corollas used dino oil with 5k interval. Thanks a lot for any help.

Yahoo/Inbox M
  •  

There is nothing wrong with using either. You can even mix them. I only use synthetic when it is on sale at Costco. My 2003 Corolla has over 299,999 miles (odometer goes no higher).

*The important thing is to maintain the oil change intervals  as noted in owners manual.*

For synthetic or non-synthetic, it is recommended to stick with interval recommended by auto manufacturer, hence using owner's manual as noted in previous comment. ...

*The important thing is to maintain the oil change intervals  as noted in owners manual.*

Agreed. In recent years owners' manuals have been going much higher in terms of intervals, but I think the late-2000s would likely be six months / 7,500 miles or some such. They're available at Toyota's web site.

For Corolla 2013 Owners Manual specifies 10K under the normal condition and if you use 0-20W (which is synthetic).  It recommends 5K if you operate under special conditions, or use different oil. My previous Corolla 2007 used mineral oil with 5k interval.