Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Bull6791

Oil Filters

Fish

That's right you got them cheaper because you bought a block of 10 filters.

On the other hand shipping makes the price more.

I will have to try some TOYOTA online parts dealerships like you suggested. Have you used any besides the one you already mentioned.

Thanks.

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

Lots of members here have used 1sttoyotaparts.com - there are others out there as well. These are physical Toyota dealerships that happen to do a large amount of business online.

Granted, shipping costs will be a factor, especially in small orders. But if you time your purchases well, and buy many of your maintenance items at once, you can come out ahead price-wise.

My filters - I purchased locally at a dealership close to me. Sometimes you can get a "cash discount" deal at a local dealership - depends on the parts person you are working with, just have to ask.

Fish

Just for kick and my curious I called the TOYOTA dealership across from my work and asked how much 5w-30 synthetic would could cost. The guy told me to hold on. The he said they were out of TOYOTA oil. All they had was quarts of MOBIL oil he said for 8.99 each.

Not surprised - lots of dealerships are starting to carry other brands in the parts department as well as Toyota OEM. $8.99 a quart is a little steep, but not terrible either. I saw Mobil 1 synthetic at Sears running $14 a quart!

The "Tall" filter for the Camry would be the same as the Corolla - just make sure you have the clearance. Same spec on the filters, as both the Corolla and Camry use the 90915-YZZF2 as the OEM replacement oil filter.

Fish

It gets confusing. For the 07 Camry what is the part # for short filter.

Can you put the part numbers side by side indicated by tall and short filter for 07 Camry like you did for 05 Corolla.

This is very confusing

Thanks I always appreciate your help

I did in the above post - 90915-YZZF2 is the OEM filter - ie, "short" (factory part number is 90915-10004, directly interchangeable with the current filter). You already know the "tall" filter number - 90915-YZZF1.

Again, there is no real added benefit to running a larger filter unless you plan on running extended oil changes. The larger filter will not "clean" any better than the short one, only advantage it has is that it can potentially hold more material between changes.

I'm much rather you see what the OEM "short" filter does, then do some UOA to convince yourself if you really need to run a taller filter. Just because someone is running a taller filter in their app doesn't mean that is the right choice for you.

I happen to run the "tall" filters, as that is the OEM filter for both generations of Matrix XRS that I owned. No sense to me in keeping two separate filters, if I can use the slightly taller one on my Corolla.

I also run extended oil changes - anywhere from 7500-10000 miles depending on the vehicle. UOA testing has shown that on my Corolla, the insoluables ramp up pretty quickly towards the end of the oil change interval.

Running a slightly larger filter "may" help screen some of the larger contaminants in that length of oil run - but it is the tribological chemicals: detergents, dispersants, and add-pack that determine how the oil protects/how long it lives. That's why UOAs with the cheapest oil filter vs the most expensive one out there show little variation in the overall numbers.

Fish

For 5,000 mile oil change I am better of using OEM short filter rather than OEM tall filter

I will do what you suggested and start off with OEM short filter for 05 Corolla and 07 Camry.

Edited by Bull6791

Pick whatever you can get at a better price. I will say this, with 5000 miles on an oil change - that tall filter will give you NO filter media advantage - as the short filter can handle that interval without issue.

In cases where the filter clearance might be an issue - you actually could come out worse with a tall filter (ie, greater chance it could get damaged).

In any maintenance related work - always safest, best chance for compatibility and reliability to run OEM parts and fluids. If you feel adventurous or want to find out if there are better products for your car, then you have to decide what and how to change the parts.

There are a number of us on this board that run a mix of OEM and aftermarket. Some run more aftermarket than others, as they are dictated by costs, availability, or performance. Some decisions that are driven by specific needs, like extended intervals, or special circumstances like towing or driven at excessively high/low speeds - high/low ambient temps. There is no single solution that is absolutely "best" for everyone in every situation - but OEM is likely the closest one.