Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
C2K

2000 Corolla 1.6 Vvt-I Hesitation At Full Throttle.

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

I unplugged MAF and the engine revs nicely to 3000rpm and then starts to stumble.

Perhaps the MAF is bad after all and the engine limits to 3k?

Possible that the MAF is bad. That stumbling at higher RPMs is just a feature of not having the MAF connected, car runs in limp mode to save the engine. Another possibility, is that with the MAF off, the car is running off of preset air/fuel maps and other feedback sensors (O2 and TPS) - could point to those sensors being offset, causing the MAF to "appear" faulty.

But you could be on to something. That sort of behavior when you disconnect the MAF, usually points to either bad MAF or vacuum leak.

I think i'm gonna check for those leaks once more before buying parts.

What others methods there are for finding vac leaks besides carb cleaner?

And is unplugging o2 sensor similar to unpluging MAF?

Vacuum leaks can be nightmare to track down. Some only leak dependent on temperature - some only under movement. Spraying something on the hoses and unions is the quickest way to check them. You'd almost have to pull each hose off and inspect it. Check around the induction system and look for cracks in the airbox, especially close to the MAF. Gaskets, might have to pull off the TB and intake manifold if you can't see all the way around.

Unplugging the O2 sensor would have a different effect than the MAF trick. Some cars, makes it completely undriveable - some will fall under a limp home mode. Don't remember what the Toyotas does off the top of my head, their tuning is pretty conservative - might drop into a limp , degraded performance mode.

I tried to vacuum cleaner method and created nice suction in the intake but didn't hear any hissing. Maybe it's not leaking then?

Is there a reliable way the check the maf, or should i just get a new one?

Just replace - electrical parts like that can be intermittent - this is one of those swap and see sort of part. Even if it diagnoses OK, it could still be faulty. Double check the return policy on the replacement parts, some retailers won't take back electrical parts once they touch the car - just in case the MAF is not the culprit.

I got a used original MAF from ebay and WROOM! The car accelerates like never before! No hesitation or bucking whatsoever.

Haven't reset any codes or looked at the data, but i have a feeling that the problem is solved. :)