Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
autotech2612

Idle Quality - Low To High When During Cold Temperatures

dom, there is a "D" on the sensor.

The battery is an Autocraft from AAP. Was installed April 2013.

I keep looking at wires and grounds. I don't see any corroded grounds.

Still stumped...

Edited by autotech2612

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

Look for any vacuum leak at any loose or split or hardened hoses. Make sure you throttle valve is closing as it should, and that your idle air assist valve is clean and functional. Vacuum leaks at injector o-rings are also possible.

How old is your upstream oxygen sensor on the exhaust manifold?

Edited by dom

There is no record of it ever being replaced. It doesn't throw a code, but they do get lazy over time.

I did replace my injectors last year. O-rings are fine. Actually, I found replacing the injectors to be very easy -- and fun.

Took the Toyota/Denso ECT sensor out and put another SMP in. Much improved idle and temperature gauge climbs up to mid-point in a time that is acceptable when it's 29 degrees out. Idle still a bit high starting out, and doesn't always lower back to 800 when fully-warmed. Sometimes it's 900-1000.

I will re-look tomorrow.

It makes sense it could be a ground issue. However, electrical issues are certainly a pain to diagnose because I don't have any equipment for testing.

Yes. Also cleaned the PCV valve two weeks ago, though it is only a year-and-a-half old.

No, and how would that affect temperature gauge operation and idle issues concurrently?

Edited by autotech2612

It's at the full mark when warm. Coolant is right there when I take the cap off.

Warmer tomorrow, so will be looking at it further. The whistling noise came back, so I'm take the intake manifold off to check the gasket. Then will make sure I use a torque wrench on the bolts.

May as well take the throttle body off and do a good cleaning.

At this point my status here should be Reverse, not 3rd Gear.

Edited by autotech2612

Did learn the wire leading into my radio setting condenser was poorly attached today. Then it broke free. Doubt that's related to the idle and gauge issues.

005_zpsca426bed.jpg

Edited by autotech2612

That's what I'm doing in order to keep away from the shop. Been driving the car less due to a large drop in fuel economy. In process right now of taking the intake manifold off.

When the engine is completely cool, coolant is pulled back into the radiator, and the level is just below the low mark.

Edited by autotech2612

Now car won't start after wire snaps from the condenser. It was idling when it snapped.

After the wire snapped, it hit metal on the engine, there was a small spark, then engine shut off.

Day time running lights, however, wouldn't shut off until I returned the key to the off position.

Did this cause damage to another component in the system, or will it not start even though it's disconnected?

Fixed. Blew a fuse. Spliced the wire for that condenser and good. Torquing intake manifold bolts. Factory specs indicate 14 pounds for my 2002, but I'm curious why it's 10 pounds higher on yours. Whistling sound gone.

Edited by autotech2612