Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
autotech2612

Idle Quality - Low To High When During Cold Temperatures

Don't know, already put it in. Acting crazy. Gauge barely moving, then moved to normal on way home. Erratic idle. Came home and disconnected the battery and will see if that will do anything.

Cleaned up the intake manifold. All set. Didn't take too long either.

16 degrees out.

So far, this Toyota ECT has acted the worst. . .

Re-connected battery. Idled to 2300 RPM upon starting. Still exhibiting same behavior (slow to move needle) and idles at 1500 RPM -- even after a 10-minute city drive. Temp is 15 degrees.

I'm stumped and getting quite grumpy.

So, where is it sucking all that extra air from? Brake power assist seems normal? Also, does pumping your brakes hard and repeatedly while stopped change idle behavior?

Edited by dom

Dom, the brakes haven't changed at all. Power assist does seem normal.

Pumping my brakes hard and repeatedly while stopped? I am going to do that today. I will update.

I kept thinking tonight this is an electrical issue. But, if it is, wouldn't I experience other electrical problems?

As you know, I have gone through many ECT sensors. Each sensor has acted differently from the other. Common sense says it's not the sensor. It's obviously something else.

Update 11/19: Tonight, 18 degrees out. Nothing has changed. Still idling wildly, especially when re-starting after sitting for 45 minutes. Does the car have to recalibrate itself or something?

Edited by autotech2612

Found this link. http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/132-9th-gen-corolla-1st-gen-matrix-2003-2008/618274-2004-corolla-surging-cold-idle.html

I know it's for 03-04, but after every thing I've done, should I take the car to the dealer for recalibration?

Until now, I've never heard of anyone taking their car in to be recalibrated.

Estimated cost?

http://www.toyotapart.com/IDLE_HUNTING_IN_SUB-FREEZING_AMBIENT_AIR_TEMPERATURES_T-EG022-07.pdf

And, as you know my Corolla is a manual transmission.

Edited by autotech2612

It does take some time under various driving and idling conditions for the ECU to relearn and stabilize itself every time you reset it by disconnecting battery or removing the EFI fuse.

The recalibration does not apply to your 2002. There is no new calibration for it.

Edited by dom

I know.

I won't be able to look at the car again until after work later today.

To me, it's an electrical issue. I just can't think of anything else.

I'm taking the Toyota sensor out after work and replacing it with the SMP sensor on hand

Edited by autotech2612

Did you notice if any of the chassis grounding points were corroded? How old is the battery, any changes to the charging system, additional electronic loads, new/replacement audio, electrical parts, etc.? Trying to work this from the other way - since you've pretty much covered much of the diagnostic work from the engine side. Maybe coming from a different direction could expose a possible culprit.