Sign in to follow this  
autotech2612

Idle Quality - Low To High When During Cold Temperatures

Intake gasket looked great, looked just as good as the new one. Someone may have replaced it before I bought the car. Replaced it anyway. Did have to remove the upper coolant hose; there's no way to fully move the intake away unless the hose is gone. Reclaimed the coolant. Found another ground wire under the air filter box. Cleaned. Oh, and I noticed the VSV at the air filter box may have been disconnected for awhile. Perhaps this past summer? Maybe this caused the erratic and unusually high idle when cold out. I re-inserted it.

Did my best to clean the intake, but it's pretty bad. There is sand, oil and sludge. Not sure what in the hell the previous owner did. With all that sand, it's as if the car didn't have an air filter installed for awhile. I'm very surprised I am not burning more than 1/3 quart of oil every 3,000 miles, and surprised I don't have any lifter noise.

001_zps544c68c9.jpg

002_zpscc7b31fe.jpg

003_zps6a23506c.jpg

004_zpsf1479da9.jpg

005_zps8a6c86be.jpg

007_zpsb798a25b.jpg

008_zps8d1aeb51.jpg

009_zps005f05d1.jpg

Edited by autotech2612

Update: no change in idle quality with VSV re-attached to air filter housing. With this ECT sensor, the idle is always at least 1100 RPM, even when gauge is mid-point at 53 degrees Fahrenheit. At a stop light, it does resort to 800 RPM within 20 seconds.

As originally stated, each ECT sensor yields different results.

The finger re-points to the ECT sensor.

Edited by autotech2612

I can see evidence of leaking at your old intake manifold gasket... How is it running now that the ECM had a chance to relearn the operating conditions?

No change at all.

However, as of two days ago, I hear a foghorn or like the sound of a smoke alarm beep (the tone) coming from the LF of the top of the valve cover. I thought it might be injector-related, so I unplugged the connector, but the noise remained.

All I did was take the old gasket off and put a new one on. Was I supposed to use a sealant? I'm wondering if there is a leak.

I paid on 11/07 for the ECT. However, they didn't ship it out until last Wednesday and I'm not expected to receive it until mid to late next week. They did give a 15-percent discount for the inconvenience.

Temps have been between 20 and 35 degrees. Doesn't idle wildly in the garage like it was, but still idles very high when I get to the stop sign after leaving home.

Just need to focus on this noise in the meantime. . .

No sealant was required. Intake manifold is torqued to 23 ft-lbs on my 2004.

Make sure you hooked up all hoses back on, including the elusive brake booster vacuum hose on the rear of intake manifold near throttle body... Are you now hearing the VSV operating now that it's hooked up?

Edited by dom

No, I'm hearing it from the right-hand side of the valve cover.

I am going to take the entire thing off and use a pad to get any other remaining gasket material off. However, this gasket is metal. So, there really shouldn't be any real material there, right?

Brake booster hose? Going to the garage to check it out now.

Right hand side when you're looking at it (driver's side) ? Is that where your PCV valve is?

Is the gasket not rubber coated metal? Did you not clean the sealing surface on manifold and engine head before installing new gasket?

The throttle cable end barrel can be slipped out sideways while rotating the throttle cam by hand to full throttle position to have cable slack.

Edited by dom

Thanks for the reply, dom.

The PCV on mine is on the left-side (driver's side). But, if you're looking at the engine in front, that would be the right side.

I don't believe the gasket is rubber-coated metal. I did not clean the sealing surface. That's my mistake.

It will be best to take it off again and fully clean. I can take it all out with the throttle body still attached I assume. Just have to disconnect some wiring and hoses and you previously stated.

It should simply have been done properly the first time. I thought I had sufficiently stressed the importance of cleanliness upon reassembly... The metal gasket is black because it has a rubber coating. It's visibly not bare metal. At any rate, it may now possibly be compromised, and a new gasket would be advisable to replace it again successfully.

Edited by dom

I think the gasket will be fine. I am taking it apart after work today. Will update and post photos.

What do you think I should do about all the sand, sludge, oil in the intake manifold and the area where it enters the engine? An acetone or mineral spirits soak?

I plan on using plastic grocery bags to stuff into the ports while I use a scouring pad to clean any miniscule gasket material off. Really, there is very miniscule residue.

Edited by autotech2612

Not sure if acetone will do anything with that stuff. Mineral spirit soaking might be better. Berryman B-12 Chemtool has some pretty strong solvents in it - works great on cleaning parts. But will eat aluminum parts, if left to soak for an extended period of time. But scrubbing with a parts brush / old toothbrush - should be fine.

But those deposits did look pretty gnarly - might have to mechanically scrub them out - fiber cross-buffs or similar might be needed.

Does the sensor have a "D" underlined with a " ~ " ? (Made by Denso)

Edited by dom