Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
autotech2612

Idle Quality - Low To High When During Cold Temperatures

Pretty hard to believe that all those sensors read differently and by that much. Possible that you have incredibly bad luck and got a couple of bad sensors in the row. I almost sounds more like a electrical noise issue than a sensor issue. Might be one of the chassis ground points that have some corrosion around them. Bad battery or bad terminals can also introduce excessive electrical noise in the system.

As for being picky, the 1ZZ-FE is definitely one of those types of engines. Even with plugs, the car is pretty picky.

When I bought the car, it had 213,000 on it, so I don't know if the ECT in it was still the original Denso or was replaced with another brand. What was wrong is the gauge issue last winter. It would never stay at the mid-mark when idling. On the highway, it got up to the mid-mark, but when at a stoplight, it started going down -- and then my idle started going up naturally.

Hoses seem fine. However, it seems that the ECT is to blame, not the gasket at this time.

The Toyota dealer did state to me there are two types of PCV valves for my Corolla in the aftermarket arena, and stated others had the same problem and ended up doing what I did and just went to the dealer.

I did notice the cost of a Denso ECT is around 60.00. I may just have to shell that out.

As for being picky, the 1ZZ-FE is definitely one of those types of engines. Even with plugs, the car is pretty picky.

Knowing that, when I bought the car I changed out the spark plugs. I installed Denso iridium plugs.

Dom, yes, I am. Should have stated that.

Tonight is down to thirties again. Performance has not changed; idle is great but gauge is slow to rise.

I did order, for now, another replacement of this one (under warranty) while I order an OEM tonight.

8942216010 is what I believe is the Toyota part number. I found this on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-OEM-8942216010-Engine-Coolant-Temperature-Sensor-/171530971402?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2001%7CModel%3ACorolla&hash=item27f00ae90a&vxp=mtr.

This is what a search of the part number yielded. Looks like I'm going to pay $60:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xtoyota+&_nkw=toyota+8942216010&_sacat=0

I have enough in my PayPal to cover it.

Thoughts?

Edited by autotech2612

I changed my original thermostat at 225000 miles. My Guage will not be close to mid mark with the heat on high. Only on a long drive with the heat on low or off.

My heater really cools down the engine.

The new thermostat didn't help .

I really miss driving big iron block v8s in the winter.

Edited by Snow Tire

Yeah, the blower fan has to be turned down for the engine to warm up while idling, especially when colder outside.

http://www.toyomotorparts.com/parts/toyota-89422-16010_sensor-water-temper.html

http://madstyle1972.com/Repair/05/200o8c04/cip0115.pdf

http://madstyle1972.com/Repair/05/200o8c04/cip0116.pdf

Have you checked and cleaned your grounding points, under the battery, on top of tranny, and from driver's side engine head to inner fender?

Edited by dom

Last winter, when it was -5, after replacing the ECT, the gauge was usually at the mid-section. However, when idling with the heater on high, it struggled.

Mostly do highway driving, so with temps that cold, i put cardboard in front of my radiator. However, still didn't have a lot of good, "hot" heat.

Changing the thermostat didn't do much, because I narrowed it down to the clog in the heater core. I hosed it out twice a few weeks ago and heat has noticeably improved. Actually gets burning hot.

Dom, since I don't work tomorrow, I'm going to go out to the garage right now and report back.

By the way, to my area code, shipping would be 61.19 using Toyo Parts.

Edited by autotech2612

Okay, the two on the side of the engine were kind of caked up. I removed them and used a wire brush to clean the contacts and the block area. On top of the transmission looks fine. I don't see ground under the battery and I dont know where the one is in the inner fender.

Also, I did order the OEM sensor.

004_zpsd6963457.jpg

005_zpsc2a0c4aa.jpg

006_zpsa2496ee3.jpg

009_zps5dfa2be9.jpg

Edited by autotech2612

Ok, yours is different from my 2004... Having cleaned and tightened those should help, and maybe also the inside of the battery connector seen on bottom of last photo.

I will have to try to get some steel wool to get on the inside. I only have two steel brushes, which is what I used on those connectors.

I started the car after it sat four hours. 40 degrees out when I started it. The idled really high this time, to 2100, right after starting it. Got to the stop sign a block from my house, and it was at 2000. Half a mile down, it got back to normal at the stop light (1/3 of a mile down).

And, again, gauge slow to move.

Just find it interesting that behavior happened after I took the battery out and after cleaning those two ground wires on the side of the engine.

Edited by autotech2612

I need to find out where the other ground areas are so I can keep going on the checking and cleaning.

Also found this: http://toyota-solutions.blogspot.com/2011/02/got-p0171-blues-in-your-toyota-corolla.html

Also, there is a Felpro and a Beck/Arnley available at AAP. Do you recommend the Beck over Felpro? http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web/PartSearchCmd?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&pageId=partTypeList&suggestion=&actionSrc=Form&langId=-1&searchTerm=intake+manifold+gasket&vehicleIdSearch=49062&searchedFrom=header

RockAuto wants between $5.30 and $8.50 to ship a gasket, depending on brand. I can get the Fel-Pro at AAP and use a 30-percent off coupon

code.

I appreciate the help. I'm very serious about fixing this problem.

Edited by autotech2612

Beside a likely ground improvement, your ECU was also reset by disconnecting the battery.

I don't think there are more ground wires on your 2002.

I'd go with the Fel-Pro, even though they are probably both the same.

Edited by dom

LOL... Well, can you see any more ground wires?

Yours is just not grounded in the same manner as 9th gen Corolla. I also have the ground wire to top of tranny. My other ground wire from battery goes to chassis underneath battery. Your other battery ground wire is the one that goes to engine head, instead of having a seperate ground wire from head to chassis (inner fender).

By the way, I did upgrade all my stock ground wires to a larger gauge, and with a heavy duty solid battery ground connector. I also added a ground wire from existing grounding point on top of tranny to alternator, and another one from passenger side inner fender to front passenger side of engine head. It substantially improved low end response, and idle stability with A/C cycling on and off at windshield defrost setting.

Edited by dom