Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Bull6791

Optima Battery

Are red top battery worth their money. Do they last longer than normal batteries or not.

I was wondering if I paid more money and got a optima red top battery it would be better or last longer.

Should I just save the extra money and get an interstate battery

Thanks

Great battery, but not necessarily for lifespan. Extreme temperature range, vibration, odd mounting location, etc. - their spiral wound AGM, and completely sealed setup is pretty bulletproof for off-road and specialty situations. Power and reserve capacity is just comparable to your standard wet cell battery. I've actually gotten more life from a well maintained well cell than any AGM setup. Used to use Redtops all the time in my project car, as I needed something that could survive extreme vibration and be placed in an area that needs a sealed battery. But lifespan wise - I never got more than 4-5 years out of them.

Used to have a (72 month warranty) 36 month replacement then 36 month prorated warranty - now, they are just a 36 month replacement (36 month warranty). Optima battery company is part of Johnson Control Systems - same company that makes Interstate batteries.

Unless you need their ruggedness - save your money and by a regular battery.

Interstate is a pretty solid battery. Pretty much all the ones that you'll find are going to be made by Johnson Control Battery- that includes Interstate, Diehard, Optima, Exide, etc. I'm pretty sure we discussed this at length before.

As far as the longest lasting battery I had in a car, it was ~7 years, Gates battery (late 80s, early 90s). They don't make them any more - Johnson Control Battery Group bought up the Gates SLI group (they used to make the Optima batteries and Champion Gel batteries).

Worst battery I had - Diehard, lasted 2 years - got it replaced under warranty, the second one died after 8 months. That was the time you only got one replacement under warranty, then it was prorated at that point. Switched to Interstate after that - battery lasted about 5 years, until the car was totaled in an accident.