Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Bull6791

Engine Oil

Fish

I am going to sample the PENNZOIL UTRAL PLATINUM 5w-30 oil. I want to see what is max I can get out of oil with WIX filter.

I will post UOA results. Fish when I post result can you help me interpret results. I never did UAO before and and do not know what results mean.

I really appreciate it

Thanks Frank

trap

Sure, we can help you out on that. Some members here ping-pong between this forum and BITOG. Blackstone will also include their assessment of the oil and how it did.

Fish

To clean tubing on vacuum pump you were referring to CRC BREAK CLEAN BREAK CLEANER or something like degreaser.

Also from what I read slot of people like DYSON ANALYSIS but I do not think I need it for 79. I am talking about Dyson UOA. I think Blackstone would be fine for my needs don't you fish.

Frank.

Edited by Bull6791

Any solvent that will dissolve oils would be fine. Just use what you have lying around - just need to clean the old oil out of the tubing so as to not contaminate the next sample. That or just store the hose, next time you sample - discard the first pull, then save the second pull of oil. Any contaminants left will just be trace.

Dyson is a well known oil testing shop - they basic analysis is a lot higher as they do more testing. For a simple UOA - this is probably overkill, one of those diminishing returns sort of thing. For a fleet manager or similar - probably be worth it, as their conditions are more controlled and trackable - where an oil change on their rigs would cost anywhere from $200-$600 depending on capacity and number of filters.

A standard UOA at black stone is 25. Will they tell you how much further oil can go or you have to get TBN DONE for that.

Also I do not want TAN also. just asking.

Frank.

Need to have a TBN or TAN test as well - their standard analysis only shows wear metals, small section of the additive package, fuel dilution, solute and water contamination.

TBN is the most popular test - many use this and there is a lot of VOA (virgin oil analysis) done that is out there, so you can get a feeling on how robust that additive package is in the oils, TAN is another test that can be used to find out how long you can push the oil. Some like to do both - as the point where the two meet, is when you should change the oil.

Myself, I've only done TBN - TAN would be nice, but would make the testing costs go up considerably. At that point - just easier to stick with the standard 5000 oil change interval, from a cost out-lay point of view.

More info on those tests here - lot more online if you want to read up on it. BITOG forums is also another good resource for those tests as well.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/2170/oil-drain-interval-tan-tbn

Don't need to do a VOA unless you want to find out what the additive package looks like or running something non-standard, ie. blending your own oil. Pennzoil Ultra should have a number of VOAs already available, like this one for a 5W20:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1778710

Notice how high the TAN number is - it is 13. Meaning lots of reserve alkalinity to fight off the normal acidification that occurs as a function of a working internal combustion engine. Also note the viscosity - right in the middle of its range. Those are some numbers you want to keep in mind during your testing phase. 65% point on TAN would be around 8.5, most oils will continue to protect down to about a TAN number of about 2 or 3. You can push it even further, but since you don't drive a lot of miles, would be best to stay above a 3 if possible. If you drive a lot, might get away with TBN as low as 2 or even 1. Blackstone considers TBN of 1 to be low - but if you look around, Dyson and members of BITOG consider that WAY TOO low for many drivers of mixed driving. You can also see if this oil tends to run thin or thick for your engine (look at the viscosities - higher numbers = thicker, lower numbers = thinner.

There will be some variances due to manufacturing tolerances, but should be all pretty close. Since a VOA has already been done - you can skip that part.

For comparison - here is a test on an Infiniti G37, 5000 mile run on Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30:

http://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction/210156-oil-analysis-on-pennzoil-ultra.html

Note that the viscosity dropped out of grade, actually thinner than a 20 weight. TBN is a 2.7 - Blackstone estimates that the oil can be run out to 7500 before TBN drops to 1. That engine is known to be tough on oil - IMO, that oil is done at 5000 miles. Falling off of grade is one thing, but the drop of TBN from ~13 to less than 3, means the oil had to work really hard over that 5000 mile interval. This engine would be an example of a bad candidate for extreme extended oil changes.

Edited by fishexpo101

Fish

On the VOA of PENNZOIL ULTRA you noted TAN is 13. Now from what I gather from what you wrote the lower the # gets it tell your oil is getting used up.

I like to know what the TAN or same # is for a VOA of MOBIL 1 and AMSOIL. They are supposed to be some of the best. I just wanted to see how PENNZOIL ULTRA compares.

Frank

Should be online - just search. From a quick Google search - I turned up a TAN for Mobil 1 0w-20 to be at 8.8, Amsoil Signature 0w-20 to be 11.8. Might want to search the BITOG forums, most of the VOAs postings usually start there.

Just to be clear, there is lot more how effective the oil can protect your engine than just VOA TAN number, like the amounts/ratios of certain additives - but for this application, I will not get them as would just cause more confusion. This is best left to the tribologists and lubrication experts - not for a forum post.

As mentioned by many - Pennzoil Ultra is a solid synthetic oil. Run it and see what it does at 5000 miles.

Makes more sense, be a little more flexible that refrigerator water lines, which could be good or bad depending on how you take the sample. Still - that pump should make pulling at a sample a breeze compared to trying to pull one from the sump drain.