Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
autotech2612

'02 Corolla A/c Compressor Operation In Defrost Mode

Just want to know at what temperature does the air conditioning compressor in my 2002 Corolla NOT activate when in defrost/defog mode.

Does the sensor go by the "outside" temperature reading on the instrument cluster?

Temperatures at night have dipped to mid-twenties lately and on two occasions, I thought the A/C compressor turned on when I switched to defrost.

Has this happened to anyone? Or, just my imagination?

trap

Ambient temperature has no effect on it... On a stock 2004, intermittent A/C is activated at slightly clockwise of 'floor' vent setting. There's a hidden switch just above vent control knob. You should be able to feel extra resistance as you rotate the vent control knob clockwise of 'floor' position, when the cam behind knob pushes on the switch.

I modified the vent control's cam to have it on only at clockwise of 'floor/windshield' setting.

Edited by dom

I know what you mean regarding the extra resistance. Isn't it hard on a compressor to run at temperatures below freezing? I know on many vehicles, the compressor will not activate at or below freezing.

I dunno... Mine's still fine after 12 winters, sometimes down to -40... I like being able to have it at 'floor/windshield' setting without necessarily running the A/C pump. Operating it occasionaly is actually better for it though.

Does the A/C in the '02 Corolla purposely behave differently when cycling in colder temperatures?

35 degrees tonight. Turned vent knob to defrost for windshield. Compressor comes on for five seconds, then remains off for 55 seconds. Move selector to bi-level and then back to defrost during this 55-second delay, compressor will not re-engage. I purposely waited until 55-56 seconds with selector in bi-level mode, then switched to defrost and compressor came back on as planned -- for five seconds. System does not deviate from 5 - 55 - 5 - 55 cycling.

This behavior also is evident when knob is not in defrost, but in any vent mode and A/C button is pushed.

Before doing all the counting, I switched the Horn relay with the A/C clutch relay. Same behavior.

I am inclined to think this behavior is normal.

In the summer, when temperatures are warmer, the compressor cycles more frequently (makes sense).

So, is this normal?

Edited by autotech2612

Sounds about right - I know mine cycles more frequently in the summer time as well - but I never paid much attention to it.