Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
De Daddi

Engine Swap In 00 Corolla

I need to do a engine rebuild on my 1zz motor but I also was thinking of swapping it out for a 2zz I can get for 1300 from a 00 Celica with 50k miles. I know the 2zz makes btwn170-195hp stock depending on with car its in. I also know the harness is completely different but I contacted Phoenix tune and they can redo the harness for 600. Can someone tell me the best way to go. Thanks.I also know that the 2zz is higher compression but I can change out the piston right ?

Phoenix Tuning the way to go - that was one of the first groups to successfully complete an 8th gen Corolla 2ZZ-GE swap.

Not sure why you want to swap out the higher compression pistons - planning on boost in the future? If that is the case - keep the compression ratio - that old adage of running low compression pistons when running boost is no longer true. The key is in the tune. There are a number of 2ZZ-GE running stock compression or even higher 13.5:1 compression on boost.

So going the 2zz way u would recommend instead of rebuilding my 1zz and running boost. Do u know if my existing exhaust header will work on the 2zz. Motor?

For the 1zz build I was going to used my stock rods, forged wiseco piston 79.5 mm 10.1 compression ,new bearings thru out new gasket thru out, a stage 1 or 2 6 puck clutch and run like 6-10 psi of boost (don't know how much the stock rods can handle. Or is it wise to raise the compression on the 1zz to 11.1 or 12.1 and run all motor. How much more power u think I will gain doing either or compare to putting in the 2zz?

Exhaust manifold will be in the right place, but I don't think the bolt pattern will match. The 1ZZ-FE exhaust will choke the 2ZZ-GE anyways - so I would not recommend running it.

As for rebuilding a 1ZZ-FE + boost vs 2ZZ-GE N/A - depends on what you are after. The 2ZZ-GE takes to bolt-ons very well, compared to the 1ZZ-FE. But that doesn't mean the 1ZZ-FE is a bad motor to play with. For boosted applications - the 1ZZ-FE actually does pretty well. Not talking about 3SGTE sort of power - but 250-300WHP are not uncommon. With internal work - some have pushed 350-375WHP range with the 1ZZ-FE.

Running N/A 1ZZ-FE with higher compression pistons and matching cam, punch out the displacement to almost 2L - might be able to touch 180-200WHP, but that is probably the extent of it. Not a whole lot of material to play with, porting and polishing can't really be done. Can't do too much with the valves. I/E/H bolt-ons don't make big numbers, even with tuning. In comparison - a 2ZZ-GE might easily make 200WHP with light mods - some were able to push almost to 250WHP with a completely stock engine, all with tuning and good bolt-ons.

All boils down to how much you want to invest - time and money wise. If you want to run boost - more cost effective to stay with the 1ZZ-FE. Even in stock form - 10-12PSI is doable - all in the tuning. If you want to run all-motor - the 2ZZ-GE is a better platform to build from. Later on, if you want to run boost on the 2ZZ-GE - that is still doable.

Thanks man that's wat I was thinking the 2zz is the better bet power wise and maybe cheaper. The 2zz can even be opened up to a 2L, I think mwr did it. Like u said I can later turbo the 2zz, change the piston to lower compression ones etc. So I'll need a new manifold for exhaust , I hope it will line up to the magnaflow cat I'm running now if not ill cut and well.

So I'll need the 2zz header and the flex piece right with the 2 bolts and then I can just reuse the rest of my exhaust?

The exhaust was different as well. Might as well go custom, all mandrel bent piping - you'll already have to do some mods to make room for the exhaust manifold. Might have to cut into the lower portion of the firewall - as the 2ZZ-GE exhaust exits a lot straighter than the 1ZZ-FE. At this point - costs are pretty much a wash - but like you mentioned, if down the road you are looking for more power - the 2ZZ-GE is a much better platform to build power on.

Fortunately, with a resource like MWR around - there should be plenty of parts to pick for either the 1ZZ-FE or the 2ZZ-GE. Myself, I'm a little more biased toward the 2ZZ-GE, as it was a superb engine in stock form, good fuel economy, starts and runs like any smaller displacement engine. But once you get into lift, it literally pulls a Jekyll and Hyde. Much more pronounced than the crossover point in a VTEC. Engine wakes up and runs right up to the fuel cutoff if your late on the shift. Should try and test drive a car with the 2ZZ-GE to get a taste, if you haven't already tried.

Stock rods - anything more that 300HP and you are really pressing your luck. Most choose to upgrade the rods with the pistons - what MWR said about the crank is correct - some 2ZZ-GE stroker kits use a 1ZZ-FE crank, because it is pretty tough.

As for not cutting into the firewall - hard to say. Stock 2ZZ-GE header setup will run into the firewall on the 1ZZ-FE Corolla. To get around that - you'll have to modify the front pipe on the exhaust manifold to clear the firewall - might be able get enough clearance by just "denting" the lower part of the firewall.

If you go with a custom header - than anything is possible. You can get that bent, routed any way you want - just have to pay for it.

Yea boost cause I don't think it can make that on all motor unlesa u can tell me how it posible. I'm all about motor.

Last night a eclipse(turbo stock) and I were at it. First run I had I'm by a car or so the second run I didn't get my third gear in in time but when I did I caught him. With 229650 mile that 00 corolla runs. I must say tho that c60 ix speed tranny is fun its get u up there in no time :)