Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Bull6791

Conventional Oil

Members

Does anybody know a real good conventional oil I can use for my car. I use 5w-30 conventional. I heard Mobil 1 is real good.

Also does Redline have conventional oil. Any insite would be great

Frank

Year and mileage? You may consider using high mileage oil.

Redline doen't have non-synthetic oils.

Dom

I have an 05 corolla with 82,000 miles on it if you think high Milage oil is worth a try I might try it. The owners manual call for 5w-30 conventional. What are good brands of this oil

Frank

I use Valvoline 5W-30, used Valvoline in all previous cars, including my old '96 Celica. Never had a problem, but after 150,000 miles, I started buying the Valvoline High Mileage 5W-30.

The Celica was still going at 310,000 miles. Still miss that car. Just a 2.2 liter, but had some get up 'n go.

I've never used synthetic.

Edited by autotech2612

AUTOTECH,

I am going to start doing my own oil changes. My 05 corolla calls for 5w-30 conventional. Most people where I work use Mobil 1 but I do not know if it is any good. The oil you use sound good. I might try it. I want my car to last as long as your

Thanks

Frank

DOM,

For the high mileage oil you are talking about what is considered high mileage. I have 82,000 on my corolla. I do not think that is high mileage. What do they consider high mileage because I never used high mileage oil before.

Yes, almost forgot about Castrol, as I used that many times in my Celica.

Many people have told me to avoid Pennzoil engine oils, but why?

Something I heard from a mechanic: When you use a certain brand engine oil, stick with it. Don't switch to any other brand. Thoughts?

High mileage oils are recommended for engines with over 75,000 miles to help reduce further wear. It also has seal conditioners to reduce oil burning from leaking valve seals. Pennzoil also has an excellent high mileage oil, with very good specs and the coldest pour point.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-High-Mileage-Vehicle-5W30-Motor-Oil-5-Quart/14962316

Specs: http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.epc.shell.com%2FDocs%2FGPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140007054930_201202271141.pdf&ei=x4MiUtaKO8mb2QW9woCwDA&usg=AFQjCNF0XMc8hHVscGpzsDbg9TGAlLrudQ&sig2=_wPNOkm_4WqDehikcgfzyg&bvm=bv.51495398,d.b2I

Pennzoil Ultra synthetic oil is one of the very best available, as used in Penske Racing IndyCars, and recommended by Ferrari.

http://www.pennzoil.com/motor-oil/pennzoil-ultra-synthetic-oil/

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32279

I'm still using Pennzoil Platinum synthetic 5W-30, now at 162,000 miles on my 2004. I used high mileage oil on the 3rd and 4th previous oil change, and oil consumption is still cut in half now (~0.4 quart/5000 miles).

I ran it with Amsoil for a long time... No concerns about switching with good thorough drains upon refill.

Edited by dom

Many people have told me to avoid Pennzoil engine oils, but why?

Something I heard from a mechanic: When you use a certain brand engine oil, stick with it. Don't switch to any other brand. Thoughts?

Going out on a limb here (since some forums get too controversial on this topic): What's your preferred oil filter brand? Anyone...

Also, I see O'Reilly is offering a 5-quart jug of Havoline oil and a MicroGuard filter for 15.99 until 10/15. . .

Edited by autotech2612

Here is my shopping list. Note that this doesn't mean that other brands are inferior - these are the ones that I can get my hands on the easiest and usually best cost from the retailers closest to me.

Filters (in order of preference): Toyota OEM, Denso (OEM replacement), WIX/NAPA Gold, K&N, Purolator Pure One, regular Purolator. Usually buy OEM or Denso filters in a block of 10 filters each time. WIX/NAPA if they are on sale, K&N I usually get free with a oil promo. Purolator are my old stand-by - I try not to drop down to anything lower than these.

Oils (in order of preference): Mobil 1, Valvoline Synpower, Castrol Syntec (German Castrol), Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Syntec. Usually stock up on Mobil 1 and Valvoline Synpower first - they hold up well for my engines for my OCI and give me good fuel economy. If I pick them up at Walmart - usually get them anywhere from $19-$23 for 5 quart jugs. GC Syntec is getting harder to find, PP is usually dirt cheap on sale (<$2 a quart) sometimes cheaper than conventional oils - both GC Syntec and PP tend to run a little thick for me. Regular Syntec is pretty cheap as well - can get that around $15 for a gallon jug.

Additives and specialty oils (usually don't buy these, but ones that I will buy if on sale or need to clean something up): Shell Rotella diesel motor oil - great for oil burning cars, cleans them up pretty well - thicker and has more shear/high pressure additives compared to regular motor oil. Note that the additive package can destroy a catalytic converter. Marvel Mystery Oil and Rislone - old standbys that haven't changed much over the past couple of decades. More nostalgia here - additives that my father used himself with great results. Still works in some cases now. Redline Sl-1, Chevron Techron, Gumout Regane, Valvoline - all fuel system additives that I've found that actually did stuff. All these have some varying amounts of PEA, the active cleaner that cleans the fuel system.

Is it true that Havoline is manufactured by Chevron? That oil change special is a good deal at O'Reilly. . .

I have been on eBay quite a bit and I have to agree with you on the lot of 10 Toyota OEM filters. I see them quite a bit and with free shipping, they are about four dollars per filter. I just wonder if the Corolla will last long enough. I am not surprised you didn't list Fram, as I have heard on other online forums (especially recently an Accord forum) that they are of inferior quality. I have used WIX in the past, but I have not used NAPA. I have used NAPA Gold air filters.

In the shop for the clutch replacement today. Likely won't get car back until late tomorrow or early Wednesday. Not in a hurry.

Side question: On your 2002, does your A/C come on automatically when you select defrost/defog mode?