Sign in to follow this  
Old_El_Paseo

Scratched Interior Panels

I have a couple of inside panels that are scratched. is there a way to take the scratches out and give it an oem look ( with all the little lines in the plastic ). other than replacing the panel of course. I want to repaint it black at the same time since a beige winter beater is hard to keep beige ( damn brown snow ).

Depends on how many and how deep those scratches are on the panel. A couple of light scratches, might be able to "fill" it in with a little primer/adhesion promoter, prior to spraying black paint on it. Problem with the hard plastic they use, really tough to match the graining on it. Any attempts to put a lot of work on it, will cause it to craze (have fine cracks run all over the place) or cause the fibers inside to peel. Like working on chopped mat fiberglass - end results look terrible, even after repainting. My older Camry had a softer material on the doors, if they get scratched, you just rub it with a special glass rod - uses a principle of elastic deformation to "push" the scratch together, sort of minimizing the look of the scratch.

Everyone wants the "magic bullet" but unfortunately,there is no "filler" or effective scratch remover for interior parts. You can use some plastic cleaner and polish to help mask the damage but to make it disappear, you would need to replace the part.