Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Cain

Transmission Oil For '99 5 Speed

Your Ebay Toyota # 90916-A3003 thermostat is 180F (82C) which would help. OEM thermostat up to 1999 was 170F (77C), with 180F being the alternate option... 180F thermostat is standard OEM on 2000 and up Corolla.. Better warm up with 180F, with reduced engine wear and sludge.

You can also get a Stant # 14078 for less.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1432911,parttype,2200,a,www.google.com%2BSearch%2Bfor%2B2004%2BTOYOTA%2BCOROLLA%2B1.8L%2BL4%2BDOHC

Edited by dom

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

Not buying the Stant. Placed order for the thermostat from Palm Beach Toyota a few minutes ago. The ECT sensor was definitely faulty; the replacement will save me gas by telling the ECM the vehicle doesn't have to run as rich. Temperatures last night dipped to 8 degrees on the way home, and when I got in the garage, the idle was at 800 RPM.

I do think the thermostat does get "lazy" or weak after 225K. It's worth the replacement.

$20.85 for the OEM is fine with me.

If this solves the problems completely, I'm putting the plastic VVT-I black cover back on the engine.

You'll also benefit even more by changing from your OEM 170F to alternate (up to 1999) 180F thermostat... That is quite reasonable for a quality Toyota thermostat with free shipping in USA.

Do you cover your front grille at all for driving in sub-freezing temperatures?

Edited by dom

My Corolla is a 2002, so my OEM is 180 degrees.

Palm Beach Toyota also affords me the one-year dealership warranty on this part.

I do not cover my front grille. The only vehicles around here with front grille covers are school buses.

Well, you might consider something more subtle between grille and radiator. It certainly helps achieve and maintain proper operating temp in colder ambient conditions... You can try with just the new thermostat first.

Edited by dom

Like a piece of cardboard under the hood, between front grille and radiator?

Also, you didn't respond to my question about the tamper-proof torx thing. I can't get that IAC off. I'd still like to take it off and clean it, since I have that tool now. I've used penetrating spray twice on it.

https://www.corolland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24778-transmission-oil-for-99-5-speed/?p=172717

Edited by autotech2612

Yes, a piece of cardboard or something to block about 1/2 of radiator, more when colder and at higher cruising speeds.

You should be able to hammer in the T20 after removing it from the Torx key set... Many have reverted to cutting a slot in screw head for a flat screwdriver when it can't be done with Vise-Grip. I actually never removed mine.

Sorry I forgot you had a 2002, and I missed some posts... We are on the 7th page of a '99 5-speed tranny oil thread.

Edited by dom

I'll see you it goes after the thermostat, but still, because most of my driving is on the highway, it makes sense to spend no money to put a piece of cardboard in there.

Will be taking the alternator off after thermostat arrives. Should I just re-use the rubber thermostat gasket?

I went to Rock Auto and ordered the Beck/Arnley 0390104 at wholesale closeout (1 remaining). With shipping and 6 cent discount, $2.76. With 225K, may as well just replace the gasket while I'm at it so I don't have to remove the alternator again if the original gasket leaks. Thank you again for that link.

Going to start a monthly membership at the local car wash here for $14.99 -- unlimited washes that include underbody. Getting tired of going to the self-wash with the wands to get road salt out of the wells and everywhere else. Plus, car freezes because it's not getting air-dried. It's only mid-December and the plows are not using a combination of sand and salt, or just sand alone. Just a bunch of salt everywhere, generous amounts.

Edited by autotech2612

Pulled this off the 2003 Matrix at the yard today. As you can see, it's nearly impossible to get those Torx-type bolts off. I tried to hammer it on and still can't get it off.

Thermostat gasket arrived in the mail yesterday, but still waiting on thermostat. Highs will be in the low-twenties next week, so it will be fun installing it

018_zps0cb49c2d.jpg

019_zpsa3c214af.jpg

Edited by autotech2612