Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Opium

'99: I Used 80W-90 Instead Of 75W-85 For Manual

I know that the car uses 75w 85 for the manual tranny but no stores sell it. I know online sell it but its too much. I looked at the manual transmission

fluides offered and only found the valvoline stating, it meets GL-4 standards while the others didn't. I just put one quart btw.

Would this cause any issues, long and short term?

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

You mean you drained it, then refilled with one quart of 80W-90 and one quart of 75W-90? Are they both Valvoline, and non-synthetic? What did you put in, specifically?

It will be thicker than optimal, but not too bad for the hotter summer months. Is it hard to shift before it's warmed up?

75W-90 GL-5 or GL-4 is recommended by Toyota, as stated in my 2004 owner's manual.

If not properly formulated, GL-4 or to a greater extent GL-5 lubricants can become corrosive to yellow metals if the lubricant temperature exceeds 250 degrees F. The API came out with a new specification "MT-1" to address this possibility... Look for the MT-1 spec on 75W-90 GL5/GL4, preferably in a manual transmission/transaxle gear lube which has a lighter vicosity than heavy duty 75W-90 differential gear lubes.

Edited by dom

You mean you drained it, then refilled with one quart of 80W-90 and one quart of 75W-90? Are they both Valvoline, and non-synthetic? What did you put in, specifically?

It will be thicker than optimal, but not too bad for the hotter summer months. Is it hard to shift before it's warmed up?

75W-90 GL-5 or GL-4 is recommended by Toyota, as stated in my 2004 owner's manual.

If not properly formulated, GL-4 or to a greater extent GL-5 lubricants can become corrosive to yellow metals if the lubricant temperature exceeds 250 degrees F. The API came out with a new specification "MT-1" to address this possibility... Look for the MT-1 spec on 75W-90 GL5/GL4, preferably in a manual transmission/transaxle gear lube which has a lighter vicosity than heavy duty 75W-90 differential gear lubes.

It was leaking from a seal by the transmission and joint. It was close to empty, so I put a 1 quart of valvoline 80w-90 non synthetic. The transmission shifts good but I'm thinking

of adding 1 more quart of 75w-90. Is that bad? My local stores offer a few, which brands qualify for MT 1, redline too much and only online. Would

Super Tech 75W-90 Syn-Blend Gear Oil, 1 Quart from walmart will do? Any other brands you'll recommend?

How many miles since the gear lube was replaced? It is recommended at every 40,000 miles.

Since it ran low and that you have a quart of 80W-90 in it, let it drain completely after it's fully warmed up, then refill with 2 quarts of the Supertech 75W-90 Syn-Blend. Its viscosity is still a bit higher than ideal like Amsoil's MTG Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube, but is still acceptable... Which state are you in, and what is your ambient temperature range?

Supertech 75W-90 Syn-Blend is made by Warren Distribution, and has the same specs as their Mag 1 version. Compare viscosity levels at 40C (104F) and at 100C (212F). You can get an instant quote from Woods Bros Racing Amsoil dealer with the secret promo code discount if you like:

http://www.wd-wpp.com/specsheet/75w90.pdf

Amsoil MTG: http://www.woodsbrosracing.com/amsoil/mtg.htm

Valvoline: *In synchronized manual transmission applications use:

• Valvoline Professional Series Manual Transmission Fluid or

• Valvoline Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid (available September 2012)

Like Amsoil MTG, Valvoline's manual transmission fluid has a lower viscosity than 75W-90 gear lube at 40C (104F).

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/high_performance_gear.pdf

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/vps_manual_transmission_fluid.pdf

Edited by dom