Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
nightpicnic

"american Thunder:?

I was wondering what it would sound like and how it would preform. Also, it if would be even worth it at all for the pricetag. i am also looking into and intake system. but i'm not sure what to get. any and all help will be greatly apreciated.

Here is a link in case you don't know what exhaust system i am talking about:

http://www.flowmasterdirect.com/product.php?productid=42747

Flowmaster is a well known brand name. Gains to be had - harder to say. On a stock engine, minimal gains can be had with bolt on modifications. If I had to guess - 3 to 7 HP tops. The 1ZZ-FE engine has to have some serious work put into it to get tangible power gains.

Dual exhaust with side exit is unusual for a Corolla - likely be the first time I've seen one put on a 9th gen. Piping diameter is not extreme, so you shouldn't see too much issue with exhaust scavenging, that muffler on a larger displacement engine might sound decent, on a 1.8L engine, might sound a little anemic. Looks like they removed the resonator and replaced it with a narrow chambered muffler with two outlets. One leg runs the normal route, a second leg jogs around to the left, looks like it attaches to the bumper support beam. I'd double check that they tested that on a 9th gen Corolla - as the pic makes it look like there is a possible clearance issue.

Flowmaster is a well known brand name. Gains to be had - harder to say. On a stock engine, minimal gains can be had with bolt on modifications. If I had to guess - 3 to 7 HP tops. The 1ZZ-FE engine has to have some serious work put into it to get tangible power gains.

Dual exhaust with side exit is unusual for a Corolla - likely be the first time I've seen one put on a 9th gen. Piping diameter is not extreme, so you shouldn't see too much issue with exhaust scavenging, that muffler on a larger displacement engine might sound decent, on a 1.8L engine, might sound a little anemic. Looks like they removed the resonator and replaced it with a narrow chambered muffler with two outlets. One leg runs the normal route, a second leg jogs around to the left, looks like it attaches to the bumper support beam. I'd double check that they tested that on a 9th gen Corolla - as the pic makes it look like there is a possible clearance issue.

well, what i really want the end result to be is a car that can go fast down the back roads without it feeling like its about to fall apart. i really wanted it to sound better too. because i honestly cant stand the sound this car makes. what i was thinking was to just do an intake and exhaust kit and maybe eventually a new cam.

To get decent gains from bolt on mods - you have to balance them on both intake and exhaust. Even the best parts can only take you so far, a large portion of those gains are from tuning with a separate EMS setup - the OEM ECM can only adjust so much. These are more ncremental mods - more for sound (intake / catback exhaust) than raw performance.

Really need to go with a header, catback exhaust, intake, shorter intake runners, larger throttlebody (all of these will lose some low end torque, but enhance higher RPM breathing and power), medium cam (like a MWR stage 2 cam), and either a piggyback or standalone EMS setup and tuning to take advantage of all those mods. With tuning, you can realistically see 15-20HP gain - for approximately $1500-$2500 investment. The 1ZZ-FE engine is already pretty optimized to begin with - to get decent gains, have to go all out in a naturally aspirated build, nitrous app, or go with forced induction (turbocharger/supercharger).

Best bang for the buck on these car is suspension, tire/wheel, and brake modifications. For a very modest investment - you can completely transform how the car rides, handles, and stops. Since the car is softly sprung from the manufacturer, any incremental change here will be greatly noticed. Just changing to a decent, lightweight wheel and summer tire setup - enhanced handling, acceleration and braking right away. Upgrade the pads to higher performance friction materials - huge difference in braking feel, brake bite. Modest performance struts and performance springs - makes it feel like a totally different car. Sky's the limit here on possible suspension choices - simple performance spring/strut - might be $600-$700 price range, or you can jump up to adjustable coilovers that start in the $700s and go into the several thousands of dollars.