Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Bitter

My Other Car...

Exhaust seemed loud, the gasket between the muffler and midpipe I put on a few years ago is coming apart and making some noise, I'll have to see if I can fix that Monday but until then I can just turn the music up louder. I'm fairly confident that 600W RMS can drown out a partly absent gasket.

Driver side headlight has a distinct double cutoff and is dimmer, some kind of shield issue, contacted the AliExpress seller with some photos to see if they'll warranty one and send a replacement or if I can just buy a single unit. I think I'm outside any warranty but it doesn't hurt to ask. I might end up blowing money I don't have on some MiniD2S 4.0 projectors now that I know they'll work (these are the Chinesium versions with a different cutoff shield, but same bowl and what not), they're a bit wider, the cutoff is aluminum so I can re-work the step if I want to to make it less huge cause it's huge and I'm not a fan of a huge cutoff step. It is kinder to other driver especially if I'm going to continue running them at 45W. With some low hour used Philips 85122+ in these projectors at 45W the light output is even more staggering than with the Yeaky and Morimoto bulbs. Almost halogen in color but just TONS of light, amazingly bright and I'm outshining anything driving along with me on the road by double or more.

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

My exhaust pipe came, a day late from Amazon Prime but not actually a day late because tracking said it would be a day early. Anyway, came at the tail end of lunch, I managed to put one entirely too thick coat of VHT Flameproof flat aluminum color paint over all the welds and flanges. I'll put a second coat on Monday morning at work and try to put it on during lunch that day if there's a rack free. The pipe has broken away and it's pretty annoyingly loud, it sounds like a non vtec honda with a resonated straight pipe.

Exhaust pipe was a stinker to do, broke a bolt and had to grind some others off that wouldn't come and couldn't heat due to the gas tank and drive on rack being in my way. I've checked it a few times since and the VHT paint seems to be holding up well, no rust on the welds anywhere yet, see how winter treats it. The muffler will fail next, the top has some ugly spots that I slathered with muffler cement to keep things silent for the time being. Flex section is taking a poo at the moment, I've got a whole ebay header that should fit for $30 shipped, fingers crossed, otherwise it's $90 for a flex pipe.

Ran some X66 top end cleaner through, made a big big difference in how smooth it idles and runs overall. Did some steam cleaning but probably too short a duration, the misfires were making me worry about the cat converter. Running some TWC3 marine 2 stroke in the fuel at 640:1 ratio (1oz/5gal) as it's supposed to help combat/prevent carbon build up and quiet the engine/smooth the idle even more, skeptical but it's cheap to try and a bunch of people swear by it. The X66 top end cleaner though, that made a huge difference. Sucked some through PCV and then poured some on piston tops and let it sit for 3-4 hours then sucked the piston dishes, cranked with plugs out till fairly dry, then started it up with only a little puff of smoke and drove it hard with lots of WOT at highway speeds. Idle was immediately smoother when I came back home with it.

Put in a Jasper trans and she ran great on a 1000 mile test drive over the long Thanksgiving weekend. Shifts great every time now! At the same time as the trans I also put in a left axle since the outer boot was about to split and the axle boot kit cost only about $15 less than the axle did, 2 front lower control arms since the rearward bushings were rotten, two new front sway bar links, and an aftermarket rear engine mount that I severely regret. It doesn't fit right and is causing a heck of a harsh idle. I'm going to get an OEM mount and align the mounts per a TSB procedure in the next month hopefully. The Jasper trans came with a nice external cooler kit that has an inline fluid thermostat to keep the trans running at 180F, I got that mounted up with minimal fuss and used good fuel line style clamps to prevent future issues with clamps cutting into rubber hoses. I dropped the whole exhaust system and replaced the front pipe with a leaky flex section, also I replaced all the gaskets and used some muffler cement on some areas where the gasket seal was a little uncertain, doubled up the gasket between mid pipe and muffler, the system is quiet now without any leaks. The leaking when full fuel tank was tossed in the trash and the new tank installed, no more leaks!

Only hiccup besides the mount is that the fuel level sender isn't working all the time, I believe when it sat empty some varnish dried onto the contacts and causes it to read lower than actual resistance and stay pegged on full. It seems to read correctly for every other fuel fill up so far. I run down to about 1/2 tank and then get gas it works, then I fill up again at 1/2 tank and park for a couple days it stays pegged on full. I just got gas every 200ish miles and had no issues other than that minor annoyance. It's currently working, I've added some Gumout All in One in hopes of that doing something for me with uncertain results and just to throw in more wrenches I also went back to blending in a 640:1 ratio of TCW3 oil and in another hail mary I tossed in a couple ounces of acetone hoping it'll clean the level sender elements as well. I do NOT want to drop my fuel tank and replace the sender, I'm hoping through use it'll work normally again.

Ok so, been just over 5000 miles and trans is working well after having the ECM reflashed by the dealer because Jasper uses the updated shift accumulator servo but doesn't mention that they do. Sometimes I can cause a small 2-3 shift flare but I'm not too concerned about it. Fuel level seems to be working 95% of the time, still don't trust it and am running by miles not the gauge which is something I do in both of my cars anyway. Trusting the gas gauge is how you end up by the side of the road walking to get a gallon of gas.  I think the right rear quick strut that was put in a long time ago has a loose upper mount nut on the strut, I'll dig into that at work tomorrow. I've been having some noise in the rear over bigger dips, sounds like a very slight soft clunking like something dropping a little. Everything else is tight so I'll check that and hopefully solve that issue. I had a nearly flat tire on the passenger front, two small punctures I plugged. The automatically turning off headlights failed to work for a couple days then started working again, so I'll ignore that until it's an issue again. It just keeps on racking up miles! I really enjoy how the stereo I installed in it sounds, I wish to try to duplicate that in the Celica at some point.

Celica is going strong, I'm going to try to install the DD intake manifold this summer/fall. I had a nice spring meet out at starved rock and got to take a fellow for a spin who has a 300whp 23psi water injected 3S-GTE 6th gen Celica. Of course I have no where near the power level he does (not even close) but he had a good time in my car on the twisty bits talking about his super strut suspension, camber, grip, momentum driving, and getting his eyeballs sucked out by my stock brakes. Everyone makes the same grunting sound when I whomp on the brakes!

Anyway, I cleaned the inside of the car some the past couple weekends but only documented it this last time. https://imgur.com/gallery/tbipaZL

That lil Chinese water swirly blowy sucky machine works a treat!  Needs a good compressor behind it though, lucky I have access to a beast of a 2 stage unit which has only one tap off it and a oversized pressure regulator. It GOES good on that compressor, all my air tools do! Anyway, I still have more cleaning to do, I'm about 2/3 done with the soft parts inside the car. The driver seat needs some more work, another pass with cleaning solution and then a pass with clean water to rinse it out and leave it factory fresh. Then the passenger side which won't be as bad. I think I'll pull skip doing the trunk, that's some thin plastic backed carpet and carpet over press board. I want to clean the head liner but I'm afraid I'll just mess up the fabric and cause problems.