Sign in to follow this  
Bitter

My Other Car...

Going to need tires soon-ish, the ones I want come in 195/65R14 and stock size is 185/70R14. the wheel is 14x5.5, will a 195 tire be OK on that? I'm pretty sure it will be just fine but I want to make sure, or should I try to find them in OEM size...I know they come in that but I'm just going off tire-rack and what they stock. I know they come in that size since I have 2 bald ones and 2 1/2 bald ones sitting on the old Geo from the person I traded wheels with.

or they used to, not even dunlops website lists that size anymore. Ok, so is the "+0" size ok here? some oneline places say its OK, a 195 tire is fine for between 5 to 7 inch wide wheels with that side wall height. I'm 99% sure, but some feedback is welcomed!

Edited by Bitter

trap

:( Cement tongue under sliding barn door frost heaved up a little due to the extreme cold and the door won't open or close if I did get it open. Nothing happening today.

BUT because I'll go insane if I have nothing to do or work on I've pulled the 3rd brake light off, taken some measures, and asked someone who makes custom LED stuff for a rough price quote on a custom board with high intensity red LED's to fit into the 3rd brake light. I asked for it to be bright enough to scare the person behind me and leave a rectangle burned into their retina like a camera flash does.

In the mean time, I'm going to put some foil into the housing to reflect more light out the lens...there is no reflector!

Edited by Bitter

Yeah, you'll be fine running a 195 on a 5.5" wheel width. Depends more on the tire manufacturer than anything else. I've mounted 195/60R14 on my Corolla OEM steelies - those are a 14x5.5 as well - no problems mounting them and they look and ride perfectly fine.

Dunlop SP60, good wet/dry traction with outstanding snow capability for an all season tire.

just got my LED dome light panel from Hong-Kong, its bright! WAY better than a stock festoon bulb.

Airhorn mostly mounted, got the compressor fitted in a great spot...

1. near the battery for power AND direct ground

2. away from road spray, road salt, water

3. within reach of the supplied length of hose (ok, cheated. it was at the exact length, needed a bit of copper tube from an old trans cooler line and a short bit of rubber hose from the scrap box)

Tomorrow...electrical! I have a ato fuse holder with an eyelet ready to supply power, I can make up the ground easily, just have to fine the stock horn on that side of the car and tap its wire..thats going to be the hardest part. I have a bigger electric horn off some old caddy I'm going to swap for the one stocker I tap into. I always never just run the air horn, ALWAYS have a regular horn.

So while I was adding a 6ga ground wire to the car I found that the negative terminal was not firmly clamping the battery, I could actually lift it off by hand! Replaced that and it starts a lot better now! I think I'm going to clean the idle speed motor out when I get back to work, currently snowed into the parking lot...if I could get out of the parking lot I'd be fine.

Looking good! Yeah, you guys got a ton of snow out that way. I'd rather have snow than ice - VDOT doesn't seen get that after it rains, you have to retreat the roads, otherwise all that water freezes at night making the morning commute suck. This morning, roads in my area looked more like an ice rink. Temps in the low 40s that previous day didn't help matters either.

yargh, this thing cranks slow when its cold. I need to test this new battery...I think its wimpy or maybe my power feed to the starter needs some better beef? I'll test the battery tomorrow, I have some snake like braided battery cable at the shop...but no terminals big enough to crimp onto it. I have a buddy who can make me cables..might just cough up a few dollars and have him make me a bigger feed for the starter to ensure its getting full power...after that I don't know. It felt like if I wasn't using 0w-30 it would have been a much harder start. DO starters get weak over time?

Starters do get weaker over time - internal shorts in the coils, tolerances increasing, binding in the shaft, etc. Heavier wiring might help send more juice to the starter, or there could be ice inside the starter (had that happen more than once in my life). Could try tapping it with a ball peen hammer - old school fix. See if it gets better or stays the same.

seems better now that its not like hell froze over out there. works well the rest of the time...just doesn't feel very strong.

Going to make a ghetto heated washer system, wrap some 3/16th soft copper around the heater core lines to heat the fluid a little on its way to the nozzles. Every little bit helps! About $20 in materials though :/

Edited by Bitter

I thought it quite brilliant as well, I ran across a similar idea on a toyota board, I think TN but he/she wrapped rubber line around the radiator hose.