Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest matlock51

Speedo Cluster/airbag Light

Guest matlock51

Hi guys,

I hope you can help me fix the problem. I bought a 1993 Corolla DX used. The speedo was not working but the odometer was. I bought a used one and put it in and it worked great. Only problem was that the Airbag light wouldn't go out. I tried putting in the old cluster, now my temp guage, fuel guage, speedometer don't work and my automatic transmission won't shift properly and the OverDrive doesn't work either. As well as the Airbag light staying on. Any ideas??? Help!! Is it possible that I might have done something to the ECU?

Edited by matlock51

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

When you swapped the cluster - did you disconnect the battery? If not, possible that something got shorted out in the process. Try resetting the ECM and see if that helps - just disconnect the negative battery terminal for a few minutes, reconnect and see if anything changes. If not, could be looking at a major headache here. Electrical problems are the toughest to trace down - need to try and isolate each problem and fix that. Since there is a number of issues popping up here - could be several potential problems happening. From a pinched wire, to a damaged connector end, to even a burned up ECM.

Guest matlock51

Thanks, and no I didn't disconnect the battery first. I'll try it and also if that doesn't change anything. Is there a fuse close the ECM I could have blown and how do you access the ECM?

Edited by matlock51

The ECM is directly between the driver's side and passenger's side footwell. You can get to the ECM from the passenger side footwell, there is a screw that needs to come out to loosen the floor mat bracket, which should give you enough room to get at the ECM. Three large connectors attach to the back of the ECM.

The fuses are located by the driver's side footwell - by the kickpanel closest to the door. I'd double check all the fuses there, as many of the electricals are interconnected and an unrelated circuit may be the one giving you problems.

NOTE: Remember to disconnect the battery before you do anything with the electronic equipment.