Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
pocketz06

Clean Throttle Body, Sensor, And Change Pcv Valve

So this is a stud that I can unscrew out? Or is it welded into the flange mount?

Can remove it and work on it but do I purchase a used one and same the time?

Will call around for a price on used then make my choice.

BTW I can hear an exhaust leak but no CEL yet. Just a drive to church and back so far.

Seems to be more pep off the line, but that might be due to the CEL reset.

Will know for sure of the next two days.

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

So this is a stud that I can unscrew out? Or is it welded into the flange mount?

Can remove it and work on it but do I purchase a used one and same the time?

Will call around for a price on used then make my choice.

BTW I can hear an exhaust leak but no CEL yet. Just a drive to church and back so far.

Seems to be more pep off the line, but that might be due to the CEL reset.

Will know for sure of the next two days.

You can unscrew the stud, but Toyota doesn't sell one without the rest of the downpipe! After taking a while to settle, my car runs fine after I replaced my broken stud with a slightly shorter bolt. Parts guy at the dealer matched the size of the stud to a generic bolt in a box. Probably could have gotten the same at Home Depot but didn't even try.

Ok final diagnoses from shop.....Zero compression in cylinders 1 and 2, 180 in 3 and 4.

No reason for this car at 85K to have a cracked block or head. No reason for a blown head gasket either. Has anyone used Blue Devil Head Gasket Sealer in a Toyota?

I will rebuild the head after Christmas but I need to make it until then due to budget constraints.

BTW I replace the down pipe with a used one that came with a O2 sensor. still had check engine light.

Drove round trip Houston/Dallas and had no problems. Stopped 1 mile from house bought milk for dinner and car stalled coughed sputter and blew white smoke during startup. Made it home and coolent was low. Filled it up and car sat until morning and drove it to work 60 miles round trip every day for a week with no issues.

After 8 days car stalled on way home for last 4 miles. Dropped it at shop and they want $1000 for used engine plus labor or $5300 for reman. I knowI can DIY head for less that $300, Found a shop that will test for $60 and or rebuild head for $180 plus my parts. I just want to make sure that the Blue devil will last for 3+ months and will not cause many other issues during later rebuild.

Thanks

Never head of this Blue Devil Head Gasket Sealer - is this like Bars Stop Leak additive? Add something that will "clog" a blow headgasket to have with a leak? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. One, even with "smart" molecules, they will indiscriminately bridge certain gaps inside engine. I can see as a last ditch resolution, where the engine has already blown up, this can possibly let you drive a bit longer. But will not fix the existing issue at hand. But if this true a blown headgasket, only one fix for that, a fix in a bottle is not something that can fix this - even temporarily.

I would be very hesitant to add anything to the engine until more diagnostic work has been done. Possible that the damage to the engine is very light and can be fixed for a reasonable cost. Adding something like Blue Devil Head Gasket Sealer will almost guarantee that you will end up scrapping the engine down the road. So instead of just replacing the headgasket and some machine work (could be done for less than $300-$500 if you look around) - you'll be looking at a used engine (hoping that it is good), or ante up to a reman engine with warranty that costs an arm and leg.

Adding my post to this thread......

SUCCESS!!

I have finished the head gasket and ring job on my 2002 Corolla. Made a funny mistake, cranked the engine with everything together but with spark plugs off and opps the new oil filter was still in the toolbox!!

Pumped less than a quart on the garage floor. Buttoned it all up and still had problems.

Would fire for about 2-3 seconds and then shut down. I did not know I drove it home on fumes, I was out of gas!!! Put a couple gallons in it and it fired up and stayed running.

Burned off the oil I added to all the cylinders during assembly and little over spill on the manifold.

I have one gold bracket to install with two vacuum lines and an electrical sensor attached to it. Looks like it has to attach to the valve cover back corner next to cylinder 4., the lines can only reach so far.

Anybody have a picture they can take of the top of the valve cover outside of cylinder #4? Need to figure out where and how this bracket goes.

Will drive it to work in the morning, 60 miles round trip at about 40-50 MPH.

Thanks all for your help, and to Fishexpo101.