Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
dim3

Noise When Starting 2009 Corolla

Guest ben26416

Check this link out. In a short, your corolla has engine problem, like mine. Toyota is aware of it and sent out this bulletin a long time ago. I don't know why dealers have no clue and keep us running around. I finally found and printed out this bulletin and took to the dealer. Good luck.

http://www.empirepao...-SB-0087-09.pdf

Interesting! I notice a half-second-long "chirp" from my '09 S model, but thought it was only early-morning belt slippage. It doesn't happen when the car has warmed up. I will listen for it next time, and check my VIN. Thanks for the TSB link!!

I know this is a stupid question, but.....How do you figure out the vin range? I dont know how to determine if my vin is included in the tsb or not. My vin is 2T1BU40E69C###### Thanks for the help!

Edited by fishexpo101

trap

Welcome and no such thing as a stupid question.

"TSB applies to ALL 2009 – 2010 Japan-built Corolla vehicles and to North American vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below:"

2T1BU4EE#AC257917

Your VIN is:

2T1BU40E69C######

I've highlighted in BOLD the model year in both the VINs. Since yours is a 2009 model year - it is automatically made before the production date change, so it satisfies the condition that it was made BEFORE the production date change.

Decoding the VINs - in case anyone is curious to the different positions (used your VIN as an example). Info can be found online, lots of sources out there.

2 = Country of Origin (Canada)

T = Manufacturer of vehicle (Toyota)

1 = Vehicle Type (Passenger Car)

B = Body Type (4 Door Sedan)

U = Engine Model (2ZR-FE)

4 = Chassis Code(E140, 10th generation)

0 = Safety Restraints (manual belts, two front airbags, curtain airbags - NOTE: sometimes wrong, some safety port side installed, part of a package), E = all airbags

E = Model Code (E = Corolla/Matrix)

6 = VIN checksum, verifies valid VIN, could be anything depending on the last 6 digits

9 = Model Year (2009), A = model year 2010

C = Manufacturing Plant (Cambridge, ON, CA (TMMC))

6-digits = serial # of car, increasing as more cars are made.

Guest ben26416

Wow, Thanks for all of the info! I had no idea that you could break it down like that. Now I can take the tsb to the dealership and know that my car falls in the range.

Guest jwheelerz

I had the same problem. I took it to the dealership and it stayed there for 2 nights. It turns out that the 2009 corolla dont have a timing belt anymore, instead they have a "cam shaft gear". that is what makes the noice come out of the engine when you first start it up. usually its very loud when the car is cold.

My dealership did it for free since my car had less than 60,000 miles... Check with your local dealership and see what they charge. Also you should replace the waterpump, since almost all corollas have a waterpump leak.

@jwheelerz: Yeah, so, what did they do, the T-SB? I'm assuming they did. And that cured the noise?

Have decided to just let mine be, since nothing else seems wrong with it. Am a little nervous about letting them do anything, in fear of screwing something else up, you know what I mean?

If the noise is just a noise, and nothing which will cause problems down the road, I'd be content with just leaving it alone. Any comments, anyone? Fish?

Aren't there TSB's for rattling on cold starts for several Corolla models? I glanced at them before buying my 2011, but since they didn't apply to my vin number, I've forgotten the details.

Hi All,

I'm new to this board...but not to Corollas. My 2009 started making really loud noises when I started it up. It started last night with a noise that sounded ike a fast paced tapping. That dissipated and what I heard this morning was just a general rough engine noise. It was difficult to determine exactly what sound. It just sounded like it was running hard. But it drove perfectly fine and went away a few minutes after the car was running. I live in PA and it hasn't got cold enough yet to warrant the weather being a factor.

I took it to Pep Boys just to get an opinion. They tried to tell me it was some part of my tranmission and that they were hearing a "whirring" noise. I don't think that's right, because they were too quick to refer me to the garage down the street and that's not the noise I heard.

Has anyone had a similar problem? I had an 01 before this and it would have a hard start in the cold, but never made a noise quite like what I heard this morning. Planning on popping the hood this evening and taking a closer look myself. Any help is appreciated!

Need a bit more information to help potentially point you in the right direction.

Which engine - 1.8L (base) or 2.4L (AWD, S and XRS trim)?

Is the noise only present when the engine is being cranked over?

Is it pretty consistent - noise continues on for a couple minutes until the engine warms up, or does it sometimes run longer/shorter?

How's the oil level - full?

What oil is in it now - oil weight, conventional/synthetic?

Noise could be coming for a number of sources - given that you mention it sounds like a fast paced tapping - likely it is valvetrain noise. Some engines are noticeably louder than others - the key is that the noise goes away when the engine starts to warm up. The older 1ZZ-FE were known to be very noise in the valvetrain - the new 1.8L 2ZR-FE replacement is not much better - if fact, there are some cases where there is excessive oil consumption and/or damage to the sprockets on the dual VVT-i system. Hit or miss - either you have the issue or not - can't tell by an audible check - but usually is related to a sudden increase in oil consumption. The 2.4L 2AZ-FE engine is also known to be a little on the noisy side - also known to have a pretty excessive oil consumption issue. Doesn't mean that this is just unique to these engine - the 1ZZ-FE had its fair share of oil control issues. Timing chain design is also a little harder on oil - just need to keep an eye on the oil levels.

Need a bit more information to help potentially point you in the right direction.

Which engine - 1.8L (base) or 2.4L (AWD, S and XRS trim)?

Is the noise only present when the engine is being cranked over?

Is it pretty consistent - noise continues on for a couple minutes until the engine warms up, or does it sometimes run longer/shorter?

How's the oil level - full?

What oil is in it now - oil weight, conventional/synthetic?

Noise could be coming for a number of sources - given that you mention it sounds like a fast paced tapping - likely it is valvetrain noise. Some engines are noticeably louder than others - the key is that the noise goes away when the engine starts to warm up. The older 1ZZ-FE were known to be very noise in the valvetrain - the new 1.8L 2ZR-FE replacement is not much better - if fact, there are some cases where there is excessive oil consumption and/or damage to the sprockets on the dual VVT-i system. Hit or miss - either you have the issue or not - can't tell by an audible check - but usually is related to a sudden increase in oil consumption. The 2.4L 2AZ-FE engine is also known to be a little on the noisy side - also known to have a pretty excessive oil consumption issue. Doesn't mean that this is just unique to these engine - the 1ZZ-FE had its fair share of oil control issues. Timing chain design is also a little harder on oil - just need to keep an eye on the oil levels.

2009 Toyota Corolla S model 1.8L FWD 2ZR-FE

-Noise is made when its being cranked over and its stays on a for a few seconds. It's only when in the morning at a cold start, when i go to work and to cut it back on after 4 hours a=it does it again but if i cut it back in a hour it doesn't do the noise. The oil is at its correct level, been taking the car to the dealership for oil changes, they use there oil and filter. It's conventionl 5W-20. Thought it was the starter at the beginning but i tested it and it was good and the gear was enganging right. Second thing i thought it was maybe the oil pump going out, and not pumping the oil to lubricate as fast. Then me thinking it was the timing chain, but i heard that the newer corolla's don't have a timing chain? Supposedly a camshaft gear.... What could it be!?

All the Corolla from the 1998+ models use a timing chain, including your 2ZR-FE engine. There is a TSB that points to the VVTi actuator and gear assembly causing a rattling noise during operation. As for the noise that pops up right after startup - might be the starter bendix sticking. Oil pump is fine - takes a lot to damage that particular oil pump. As for oil pressure not up to spec - you'll have to plumb in an aftermarket gauge to see what the pressures are really like - can't go by the low oil pressure warning lamp that comes with the car. Usually, when that one illuminates - damage to the engine has already occurred.

WOW, I think fishexpo101 has solved the noise issue on cold startup of my 2009 Corolla S. My son is a mechanic and actually went to school at UTI specifically for toyotas but of course doesnt work at a toyota dealership. i will have him check it out and hopefully get back with an answer soon.

Guest Ricker

So here is my mechanics report. Check for buzzing type noise on cold starts. Noise coming from throttle body. R&R intake tube and verify excessive play in throttle plate in startup position. He went on to explain that when the system started sucking air it would cause a vibration in A Worn butterfly valve basically.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this