Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
dim3

Noise When Starting 2009 Corolla

trap
Guest NoMoreToyota

Check this link out. In a short, your corolla has engine problem, like mine. Toyota is aware of it and sent out this bulletin a long time ago. I don't know why dealers have no clue and keep us running around. I finally found and printed out this bulletin and took to the dealer. Good luck.

http://www.empirepao.com/tsb/T-SB-0087-09.pdf

Check this link out. In a short, your corolla has engine problem, like mine. Toyota is aware of it and sent out this bulletin a long time ago. I don't know why dealers have no clue and keep us running around. I finally found and printed out this bulletin and took to the dealer. Good luck.

http://www.empirepao.com/tsb/T-SB-0087-09.pdf

Interesting, it's probably the same noise I've been hearing on my 07 for the last 3 winters as well as on my 06 that the dealers pegged as "normal".

^^^ Unlikely, as the TSB indicates only the 2ZR-FE (new 1.8L Dual VVT-i) of a certain revisions having potentially faulty timing gear assembly. Model years 2008 and previous, use the 1ZZ-FE (1.8L VVT-i (intake side only).

But still, very interesting. Sounds like the same problem that Nissan ran into with their VVT system (single and dual VTC) in the SR20DE/DET engines with VTC "rattle" after a cold soak or certain conditions when warm.

Guest jehadra

http://www.empirepao...-SB-0087-09.pdf

This was also the fix for our 09 corolla, and replacement parts had to be shipped from Japan, which took forever. Bulletin info is correct and the camshaft timing gear is the part that has defect.

Check this link out.  In a short, your corolla has engine problem, like mine. Toyota is aware of it and sent out this bulletin a long time ago. I don't know why dealers have no clue and keep us running around. I finally found and printed out this bulletin and took to the dealer. Good luck.

Interesting! I notice a half-second-long "chirp" from my '09 S model, but thought it was only early-morning belt slippage. It doesn't happen when the car has warmed up. I will listen for it next time, and check my VIN. Thanks for the TSB link!!

I am waiting for the report on your car. I have similar problems. The guys at the dealership just keep giving excuses.

I've had the same problem with my 2009 Corolla for a couple of months now and everytime i brought it to the Toyota dealer they claim its one thing or another and that it will get fixed by whatever crazyness they try on that day.

I received a call from them last week that my car needed to be brought in to get the recall on the gas pedal fixed. At which point I decided to record the noise on my phone because I knew the car would not mimick the sound at the dealer. The guy at the dealer said they would check it out... He called me later in the day to state that it was probably something to do with my car burning to much oil and they basically did an oil change and swore the noise had gone away. Duh! it only does it when the car has been off for some time. So I told the guy NO, I've had my oil changed before and the noise still returns in the morning. So he said you want us to keep it overnight and check again in the morning? I said hell yeah keep it. The next morning the car makes the noise for them HA what did I say. So he says the car has to be seen by a senior tech or someone along that line. At this point they can keep the car for all I care I'm sick of the problems it has had. Four days later I get a call and they say the car has a broken engine actuator (whatever that is) and once we fix that the noise will be gone. Well they called me today and said the car is ready and the noise is gone. We'll see.

I'm going to pick it up this afternoon and I will report back to all of you and see if this is finally the solution to this headache.

Guest gvm518

Just to give everyone a quick reply this did in fact do the trick with my car. I dont know if that is going to be the same deal on everyones car but it worked for me. I would suggest recording the noise on your phone like I did and insisting that they keep the car so they can hear the noise in the morning (which is when my car made the noise mostly). Good Luck to everyone.

I've had the same problem with my 2009 Corolla for a couple of months now and everytime i brought it to the Toyota dealer they claim its one thing or another and that it will get fixed by whatever crazyness they try on that day.

I received a call from them last week that my car needed to be brought in to get the recall on the gas pedal fixed. At which point I decided to record the noise on my phone because I knew the car would not mimick the sound at the dealer. The guy at the dealer said they would check it out... He called me later in the day to state that it was probably something to do with my car burning to much oil and they basically did an oil change and swore the noise had gone away. Duh! it only does it when the car has been off for some time. So I told the guy NO, I've had my oil changed before and the noise still returns in the morning. So he said you want us to keep it overnight and check again in the morning? I said hell yeah keep it. The next morning the car makes the noise for them HA what did I say. So he says the car has to be seen by a senior tech or someone along that line. At this point they can keep the car for all I care I'm sick of the problems it has had. Four days later I get a call and they say the car has a broken engine actuator (whatever that is) and once we fix that the noise will be gone. Well they called me today and said the car is ready and the noise is gone. We'll see.

I'm going to pick it up this afternoon and I will report back to all of you and see if this is finally the solution to this headache.

Interesting! I notice a half-second-long "chirp" from my '09 S model, but thought it was only early-morning belt slippage. It doesn't happen when the car has warmed up. I will listen for it next time, and check my VIN. Thanks for the TSB link!!

UPDATE: Printed out a copy of the T-SB and walked it in to my original dealer, Superior Toyota in Parkersburg, WV. The curly-headed blond lady behind the service desk couldn't have cared less about it. As if to tell me to "shove it", she asked my name and proceeded to tell me, after a brief scan at her computer monitor, that she didn't have my VIN on file. Can you imagine? The dealer from whom you purchased your Toyota HAS to keep your VIN on file, right? Right. So, I took the bulletin to my good friends at C & C Toyota Scion in Marietta, Ohio, and was told, in essence, "no problem, we'll take care of it". Now, THAT is how to be of service. I was also told they'd have to check it first thing some morning, which meant I'd have to leave it with them. As it turned out, that was going to be a problem, as they were so much further down the road than Superior.

So, the next day, as I was trying to figure out a way to get my 'Rolla to them, the noise disappeared. It did not appear the next day, either. Several days passed before the "chirp" reappeared. Seems it only occurs every 6-7 starts, so, I'm going to leave well enough alone.

I finally got my problem fixed. I printed this off and brought it to the dealer service department. They told me the noise was caused by lack of oil. Got the oil changed and next day the noise was still happening.

So I took my MD recorder and I recorded the noise on two consecutive morning starts, brought it to the dealer, asked for a mechanic to listen, which he did. He just said "Well, we will check it out and see if we find anything" I get a call about 30 minutes later saying they would replace the camshaft timing device (described in the pdf file). Two days later, my car is finally fixed. I guess all this time they didn't feel like spending 10 hours on a job covered by power train warranty.

The chirp has come back with a vengeance. Am going to have to take it in for an examination. The service guy at C & C Toyota in Marietta, Ohio said I'll have to leave it overnight with them. What a bummer, but necessary. Will report what happened...

I am having this same issue with my 2009 corolla. WHAT COULD THIS BE ????? I really need a fix for this. Help Help. We need to have some Toyota mechanics as members on the site so we can pick their brains..:blink:

I've mentioned the T-SB on the subject, and at one point, kept my 'Rolla outside on gravel under one of those portable carport things (which is fine for my S-10). But that was last year, and have been keeping it in the garage ever since. However, even keeping my '09 in the garage isn't the cure for the chirping I hear every now and again. Could belt slippage still be an issue, even in a garage? Well, morning dew has certainly been eliminated from the equation.

Lately, however, I've begun to suspect the cause is not the VVT-i gear set, but something to do with the starter - and here is why: While starting the motor in town one day, I let loose of the key before it turned over. Much to my surprise, the starter remained engaged; it did not stop, even when I let loose of the key. When this happened, the chirp did not occur. Matter of fact, the chirp remained absent several starts later - which has led me to believe the cause is in the starter. Problem is, I am unsure if the starter is the cause of the chirp; and I'd lay odds a dealer could reproduce the chirp and be able to diagnose the problem at about 1 in 10.

Other than the chirp, which happens approximately 50% of the time, the starter works without a problem. At this point - and having read more on the subject - I've decided to leave it be.

Edited by corollamike

Lately, however, I've begun to suspect the cause is not the VVT-i gear set, but something to do with the starter - and here is why: While starting the motor in town one day, I let loose of the key before it turned over. Much to my surprise, the starter remained engaged; it did not stop, even when I let loose of the key. When this happened, the chirp did not occur. Matter of fact, the chirp remained absent several starts later - which has led me to believe the cause is in the starter. Problem is, I am unsure if the starter is the cause of the chirp; and I'd lay odds a dealer could reproduce the chirp and be able to diagnose the problem at about 1 in 10.

Other than the chirp, which happens approximately 50% of the time, the starter works without a problem. At this point - and having read more on the subject - I've decided to leave it be.

You are aware that the "Start" key position functions like a modern pushbutton start on our cars, right? I figured this out very early on with my car. All you have to do is flick the key to Start, and it will automatically crank until started. I have been starting my car this way for 3 years.

My car used to "chirp" on startup, and continued to do so after replacing the serpentine belt. On cold mornings it would continue to shriek badly, especially if I had the blower and rear defrost turned on (more alternator load). Tightening the belt by another couple turns of the tension bolt on the alternator cured it. Seems these motors are very picky about serpentine belt tension, exacerbated by the fact that there is no spring-loaded belt tensioner. Because of the effect of alternator load on the chirp/shriek, it seems like the belt was slipping on the alternator pulley.

Edited by CorollaCanuck

You are aware that the "Start" key position functions like a modern pushbutton start on our cars, right? I figured this out very early on with my car. All you have to do is flick the key to Start, and it will automatically crank until started. I have been starting my car this way for 3 years.

My car used to "chirp" on startup, and continued to do so after replacing the serpentine belt. On cold mornings it would continue to shriek badly, especially if I had the blower and rear defrost turned on (more alternator load). Tightening the belt by another couple turns of the tension bolt on the alternator cured it. Seems these motors are very picky about serpentine belt tension, exacerbated by the fact that there is no spring-loaded belt tensioner. Because of the effect of alternator load on the chirp/shriek, it seems like the belt was slipping on the alternator pulley.

Yes, I am now. Sort of took me by surprise earlier this year when I was starting up, and my fingers slipped off the key. That it kept cranking told me cars are MUCH more sophisticated than I thought.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

(Only shown to guests, not registered members.)