Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
corollamike

Got The Shim Job Today

With 13,400 miles + change, my little red S has been fitted with a "precision-cut steel reinforcement bar" to guarantee my (and your) safety against "unintended acceleration". The dealer to whom I took my Corolla performed the fit, gave it the usual LOF, and washed it (yes, washed it!).

I have to say, the pedal feels the same, but the car does not. It feels a little snappier in pedal response. As soon as I drove it out of the service bay, the difference was noticeable. Now I know they give the pedal an electronic check after fitting the shim, to ensure the pedal matches factory specs up and down it's range of motion.

Of course, I have no real way of knowing, but I'm wondering if they tweaked something a bit. Seriously, my car feels more responsive. I like it!

I'll give the fitting a week to see if I really like the feel of the pedal as I did before. All in all, this was some painless warranty work; it was performed during an oil change, and my wait was not too overly long.

Edited by corollamike

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting that the throttle response is that different. I know there is a calibration procedure that you can do - but most don't seem to change throttle "feel". I wonder if it has the same effect (slightly higher pedal, slight lever arm effect) as a bigger cam on a cable throttle body - basically snaps the throttle plate open faster, doesn't really "speed" the car up, but will change throttle response - makes it feel like a different car.

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting that the throttle response is that different. I know there is a calibration procedure that you can do - but most don't seem to change throttle "feel". I wonder if it has the same effect (slightly higher pedal, slight lever arm effect) as a bigger cam on a cable throttle body - basically snaps the throttle plate open faster, doesn't really "speed" the car up, but will change throttle response - makes it feel like a different car.

Perhaps that is what I'm feeling in the pedal. I've come to understand that newer pedals like mine (13,000-odd miles, compared to 30,000+) require a thicker shim, because they're not "worn" yet. The effect is probably the same between pedals, however, as the technician performing the fix calculates the shim thickness by sliding a feeler gauge into the insertion(?) point (wow, that sounded creepy).

The folks at www.thetruthaboutcars.com feel, however, that Toyota should replace the entire pedal with the newly-updated version from CTS. The new pedal features a single friction groove, and is made of different materials than the one under recall.

I agree with them, but Toyota insisted I get the shim first, to see how it worked for me. So far, it seems fine.

Edited by corollamike