Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
corollamike

Advise On This Accelerator Pedal Thing

Hey... I found a diagram on Toyota's "fix" for my Corolla's accelerator pedal here: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,584469,00.html?test=latestnews

I'm concerned this ordeal will adversely affect the resale value at trade-in time -- maybe not so much if I trade it in for another Toyota -- but, say, at a Ford dealership, for example. We purchase what we do based on trust. Trust runs this world, and without it, we're in trouble.

So, how do you feel about the fix, as you've come to know it? Are you satisfied, and should I be satisfied, too? Or, should I seek to discover if the newly-redesigned pedal will fit my car, and get and install it instead of relying on what Toyota has determined is a fix for the one I have?

Is it me, or does this feel to you like buying a set of world-renowned dinnerware, only to find a handle on one of the coffee cups has been broken off during manufacture -- and rather than putting a new cup in the box, the company just glues it back on, and sells it to you as if it was new?

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers,

Corollamike

Edited by corollamike

Yeah, I saw pics of the "fix". Personally, I can see it from two different fronts. From the consumer side, completely inappropriate, as this looks like a hack job than a fix. From the supplier point of view - possible that their source just cannot make enough new pedals to fix the number of cars under the recall. I totally believe that the media has taken this completely blowing this out of proportion and many people are confused about the issue (being that there are two different campaigns - one for pedals too long, and one for DBW system getting stuck).

Toyota mentioned that they will get you a new, remanufacturer pedal eventually. But I'd assume that most people want a more permanent fix - you could get an aftermarket pedal and have Toyota pay for it. Just have to ask the dealership. Some may stick with the Toyota plan, some dealerships are flexible and will work with customers. We've had some issues with other cars in the past - and one dealership in particular was more flexible that the others. If we opt'd for an alternative - they were more than willing to offset the difference in cost with other services or just cash.

Edited by fishexpo101

Yeah, right on about working with the dealer thing. I've decided to not go for the quick fix on this; I want the Denso pedal, the same one installed on all Japanese-made Corollas.

My plan is to get with my dealer and tell him I'll pay cost for it, put it on myself, and save the shop some time with the sham shim job. My goal is to bring my car up to the level other Toyota customers enjoy, and maintain its resale value at trade-in time.

My thoughts have been, long before this debacle, that Toyota suffers at the hands of its American suppliers and vendors. Those with Japanese-made Corollas aren't worried about their accelerator pedals one bit. They have Denso-made pedals -- we do not.

In the meantime, I'll cycle the pedal a few times before driving. Anyone who has an old radio with dials knows that they need cycled all the way to the right, back to the left, to the right, back to the left, etc., a few times to get the "static" out of them. Same thing on the CTS pedal, if you ask me. And, I believe CTS when they say they followed Toyota specs. It's obviously a material-spec issue, I'd say.

And hey, remember the days when we "pumped the pedal" before starting our carbureted land yachts? Same thing, kind of.

Anyway, if my dealer knows what's good for business in the long run, I'm sure they'll have no qualms about getting me the Denso unit.

Edited by corollamike