Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Ghost

Re-Gluing Chrome Badge

A few days ago the chrome "TOYOTA" on the trunk lid fell off as I was washing it, after 16 years of not falling. Any suggestions on what type of glue to use to re-affix it??

The "DX" fell off a while back and I reattached it with Elmer's Ultimate High Performance Glue, which has worked so far, but expanded a bit much before drying. Kind of oozed out around the edges.

I've got some 3M Super 77 multipurpose adhesive spray, but haven't yet tested its bonding abilities.

Guess the Toyota emblem will be the next to drop... :(

trap

Silicone will work, little messy, but easy to go on, sticks to just amount anything and has enough "thickness" to contour around nearly any panel. Some of the emblems that I've taken off had a double side foam adhesive tape on the badge. The 3M Super 77 multipurpose adhesive spray is super strong stuff - the trick there would be to get enough of it on the emblem to mold against the panel.

Thanks for your input, fishexpo.

Yeah, I'm not too eager to try the 3M Super 77 because it's a spray. I'm afraid of overspray and dribbling down the side of the badge while it's upside down. Hmmm... I want the glue confined to the back of the badge.

Never thought of silicone as an adhesive. Seems like it'd be easy to knock the badge off. Unless there's some kind of product I'm not familiar with .... I see what you're saying about conforming to surface curvature.

Maybe I could hit up the dealer and ask if they come with adhesive backing - ready to apply. Might want to order a new one, now that the old one's off.

Yeah, good point about hitting the dealership to check on the emblem. You might find that you can buy a brand new one with adhesive already ready to go be fairly inexpensive. Though much of that will depend on your area and dealership available parts.

They make all sorts of silicone products - covering everything from sealants, coatings, to adhesives. Some silicone adhesives are "stickier" than others. I've heard of some people using bathroom grade caulking to stick their emblems back on.

If you're still looking for a fix, about 12 years ago I went to one of those truck/van accessory places and got some black door sill protector/covers for my Chevy S-10. The guy affixed them with double-sided automotive tape. At the time, I asked him if that tape would really hold the things down, and he assured me it would.

He was right -- they are still there and I haven't had a problem with them. Maybe that stuff will work for you. If your Toyota dealer's paint shop doesn't have any, I'm sure a good auto paint shop will have some in stock. You will have to trim it some, but if you can get the same sort of stuff, I'm pretty sure it will do the job. If you do look for some, be sure to tell them you want to stick an emblem back on. You might want to have the emblem with you, so they can see what you're trying to accomplish.

Just a thought.

Edited by corollamike

I decided the new badge wasn't worth $30 (with tax) so I returned it to the dealer (two weeks later) and got my money back, minus a 20% restocking fee. Ordering from a dealer is great because you can't see it before you buy it.

The font didn't even match the original badge and with the adhesive foam rubber on the back it just seemed like a downgrade. I wouldn't pay over $10 for it.

However, I took a few side-by-side photos of the old and new badge for the benefit of those on the forum. See below.

Topside

Backside

Now it's time to shop for glue.