Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guest erkware

Hi guys, I hate to swoop into this forum without contributing first, but I'm in a tough position. My 1998 Toyota Corolla 5speed (120k) rattles like a banshee at idle. It's clearly a cam chain type noise. Taking off the valve cover, we can see that it has alot more slack then one would expect. The sound is not audiable as the car drives, just at idle. Oil level is ok. It's been like this for a couple months, so I'm not (too) worried it'll jump a tooth, but I'd like to have it fixed.

We tried replacing the cam chain tentioner but the sound continues.

Now my mechanic wants to replace the cam chain and guides, but this will be very expensive. I'm hoping someone will have heard of this problem and has some advice to offer.

My father has the exact same car, and his started to rattle about a year ago. We tried replacing the tensioner, but the sound returned the next day. He took it to the dealer and they replaced a couple "vaccum valves" or something of that nature for $500 and the sound went away... (weird eh?)

Also, I have an exhaust leak around the head/downpipe, we can hear the noise, but can't pinpoint the leak (no black marks anywhere), is there some place common that these cars leak from? I'm just hoping its not manifold crack?

Thansk very much!

Hi guys, I hate to swoop into this forum without contributing first, but I'm in a tough position. My 1998 Toyota Corolla 5speed (120k) rattles like a banshee at idle. It's clearly a cam chain type noise. Taking off the valve cover, we can see that it has alot more slack then one would expect. The sound is not audiable as the car drives, just at idle. Oil level is ok. It's been like this for a couple months, so I'm not (too) worried it'll jump a tooth, but I'd like to have it fixed.

We tried replacing the cam chain tentioner but the sound continues.

Now my mechanic wants to replace the cam chain and guides, but this will be very expensive. I'm hoping someone will have heard of this problem and has some advice to offer.

My father has the exact same car, and his started to rattle about a year ago. We tried replacing the tensioner, but the sound returned the next day. He took it to the dealer and they replaced a couple "vaccum valves" or something of that nature for $500 and the sound went away... (weird eh?)

Also, I have an exhaust leak around the head/downpipe, we can hear the noise, but can't pinpoint the leak (no black marks anywhere), is there some place common that these cars leak from? I'm just hoping its not manifold crack?

Thansk very much!

Are you the 1st owner of the car? Sounds like it was driven very aggressively (ie sudden acceleration) for you to have a stretched timing chain at 120 k. In addition to the timing chain there are also the timing sprockets (crankshaft, intake, exhaust) that could be worn-down and contributing to the problem. You can sorta perform a visual inspection of at least the intake and exhaust sprockets by removing the valve cover, do they look ok or are they worn?

I asked my mechanic about this once as well and he stated that if you're going to pay for the labor of changing the timing chain you should do all the associated components too (chain guides, tensioner, 3 sprockets) since its probably the last time you'll perform that maintenance for the life of the car (for most people that is).

Not familar with the exhaust problem but I'm not sure you'd see black marks with an exhaust leak? Could such a leak (which results in whistling I would imagine) be sucking air into the exhaust? Also, have you ruled out a leak on the intake portion of the engine? A simple vacuum test should answer that since its more than likely the leak you're hearing is intake side because of all the rubber hoses that comprise the vacuum system.

Good luck.

I agree with ouroboros. The only correct way to fix this is to replace the timing chain and guide. Don't wait too long to do it. If you timing chain slips or comes off or breaks, you could damage the valves.

My 98 with almost the same millage does the same- rattles like empty tuna can. Not aggresive driver.

Odd that changing the tensioner was not much help. Also the drive belt tensioner could be a problem as well.

Exhaust leak.Check the donaght gasket, probably burned a hole in it.

you might want to check your exhaust manifold gasket. mine making this noise too, and changed it and WOOT!. good sounds after that. while your at it, might want to change young O2 sensor and the other gasket, the donut gasket seal (not really familiar with the term). after you've changed your gasket, it will start to smoke. drive it for about 5 minutes, cool it down and everything will be great. the smoke is from the gasket (because it's new) and the grease from your hands. after couple days of driving, make sure to tighten up the manifold bolts so they don't vibrate off.

enjoy.

you might want to check your exhaust manifold gasket. mine making this noise too, and changed it and WOOT!. good sounds after that. while your at it, might want to change young O2 sensor and the other gasket, the donut gasket seal (not really familiar with the term). after you've changed your gasket, it will start to smoke. drive it for about 5 minutes, cool it down and everything will be great. the smoke is from the gasket (because it's new) and the grease from your hands. after couple days of driving, make sure to tighten up the manifold bolts so they don't vibrate off.

enjoy.

hey i just got my exhaust pipe gasket replaced by Toyota at 122k. I had the same exhaust leak as you in my 98. The gasket was $37 and labor was $88. You can get a fuel injection service done where they pour fuel into your injectors to find the leak very fast and easy. Or you can buy a can of Seaform for $5 and pour it into your throttle vaccum and the leak will reveal itself. Fixing the gasket somehow also fixed my clanking sound at idle. I guess the gasket was loose and it was clanking at idle. I suggest you fix your gasket first.

Yeah if the chain is loose, that's bad, you really need to replace it soon, it will cost you to do a valve job and even after that it'll probably never run the same. And do replace the chain/guides/sprockets together since they wear together. No sense for a sprocket worn in a certain pattern wearing down the new chain. And a new tensioner will do nothing for a worn chain, it can only stretch it so far.

On another note though, try listening to the drive belt tensioner pulley, mine is pretty noisy, going to replace soon. Just sounds like a worn bearing rattle. I think it's the noisiest component in there right now...

hey plu where you from? reason i'm asking is before i got my exhaust manifold gasket changed, i ask toyota toronto dealership how much they would charge to replace it. it was $245CAD (harper & mcguinty tax included). but i got the gasket for $22.

and also if you can tell me where did you get yours changed. seems like that garage/dearler is cheap. hopefully that garage/dealership is here in toronto canada.

thanks.

enjoy.

hey i just got my exhaust pipe gasket replaced by Toyota at 122k. I had the same exhaust leak as you in my 98. The gasket was $37 and labor was $88. You can get a fuel injection service done where they pour fuel into your injectors to find the leak very fast and easy. Or you can buy a can of Seaform for $5 and pour it into your throttle vaccum and the leak will reveal itself. Fixing the gasket somehow also fixed my clanking sound at idle. I guess the gasket was loose and it was clanking at idle. I suggest you fix your gasket first.

hey plu where you from? reason i'm asking is before i got my exhaust manifold gasket changed, i ask toyota toronto dealership how much they would charge to replace it. it was $245CAD (harper & mcguinty tax included). but i got the gasket for $22.

default_laugh well said.

And the donut gasket is $55.

Topic List