Sign in to follow this  
Roadkilldeadahead

I Need A New Transmission! What?!?!

Here the deal. I have a 1999 Toyota Corolla (not sure if its the "Cheap Edition, Value Edition, or Luxury Edition") and I cannot find A NEW TRANSMISSION! I have tried many sites. Asked Many questions. I don't even know what they are talking about when they say "FX/NON FX". I just want to put the damm thing in myself. I don't need an expensive repairman to put in a transmission for a little baby car. I know this is shocking considering i'm 22 and a GIRL! If you know where i can find a transmission, or how to know if it's a CE ...ect.. please reply. I hope this forum turns into something wonderful. Maybe others have had this same issue. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Well the FX was a Corolla edition sold in the late 80s - early 90s, so you wouldn't want parts that fit an FX.

Other than looking at the car's badging or user guide, I don't know how to distinguish between the trim levels on your 8th generation Corolla so I'll let someone else chime in on that.

Don't know where to find a NEW off-the-shelf transmission. I do know the dealer will charge $4690 for a Toyota-remanufactured tranny for my 1993.

Depends on where you live at - but the 4-speed automatic transaxles for an 8th gen should not be that hard to find, at least a used one. For a brand new transaxles or reman transaxle - would have to hit the dealership or bodyshop (probably won't sell one to you outright, but many will point you to a vendor). I've seen used ones go for as little as a $200, reman ones start at $1650 and go up. For that amount of money, you could "rebuild" you current transaxle - depending on what is wrong.

The A245E transaxles are the 4-speed variant. The A131L is the 3-speed variant. Most of the CE/VE trims came with a 3-speed, but some were optioned out with a 4-speed. Almost all the LE and S trims were available with the 4-speed automatic transaxle as an option, the 3-speeds were not offered on those levels (at least to my knowledge).

Should be able to tell what you have by the shifter itself - if it has an O/D button on it - you have the 4-speed transaxle. Another way to check is looking at the placard on the transaxle itself - and not the model number. If that tag is missing or hard to read - count the number of bolts holding the pan onto the transaxle case. If there are 15 bolts - its a 3-speed., if there are 18-bolts - you have a 4-speed transaxle.

Depends on where you live at - but the 4-speed automatic transaxles for an 8th gen should not be that hard to find, at least a used one. For a brand new transaxles or reman transaxle - would have to hit the dealership or bodyshop (probably won't sell one to you outright, but many will point you to a vendor). I've seen used ones go for as little as a $200, reman ones start at $1650 and go up. For that amount of money, you could "rebuild" you current transaxle - depending on what is wrong.

The A245E transaxles are the 4-speed variant. The A131L is the 3-speed variant. Most of the CE/VE trims came with a 3-speed, but some were optioned out with a 4-speed. Almost all the LE and S trims were available with the 4-speed automatic transaxle as an option, the 3-speeds were not offered on those levels (at least to my knowledge).

Should be able to tell what you have by the shifter itself - if it has an O/D button on it - you have the 4-speed transaxle. Another way to check is looking at the placard on the transaxle itself - and not the model number. If that tag is missing or hard to read - count the number of bolts holding the pan onto the transaxle case. If there are 15 bolts - its a 3-speed., if there are 18-bolts - you have a 4-speed transaxle.

Ok, So i definitely found out i have an A245E tranny. But now people are saying it probably doesn't need replaced. Its doing some crazy stuff which i will list and maybe you can tell me you opinion? When i start it up it will run fine for a bit. Then once it's at operating temperature it has been slipping. Sometimes even at 70mph it will shift down or go into passing gear? I hooked it up to the OBDII and it said that i need to replace the solenoid E. Which to me means either a loose cable, or a bad ECM (Engine Control Module). I had many other codes like something was too lean..no idea. ANYWAYS... It is leaking fluid. (yes i know it's tranny fluid because its red and no it does not smell burnt). Should I try and replace a few parts? Or buy a new tranny? Do people have sucess with just replacing parts? I would think that if the solenoid was bad that i would only have a problem with one or two gears. Not every gear. Thanks for your previous reply 'o' wise one of the toyotas.