Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest ChrisB

Changing 100amp Fuse

Guest ChrisB

Ok so my g/f 2001 corolla(150K mi's) just took a crap on her. We believe its the 100 amp fuse, the car won't start, sounds and does everything but no start so we assume this is the cause. Problem is the freakin thing won't come out. Well some of it did while trying to pull it out, as in pieces of the broken fuse. Any idea's? Do we need to take the fuse box out or what.

Edit-

Got it changed, still same old nothing.

Edited by ChrisB

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

Yeah, I believe that big fuse you are talking about is bolted in from behind - if you try and pull it out, it will just break apart - since it is connected to that fusable link block.

So the car cranks but does fire up and run? First course is to verify what works and what doesn't work - this includes the lamps and car function (other than starting up and running). Make sure that you got fuel and fire - injectors are spraying fuel and the ignition is igniting the mix.

Try pulling the sparkplugs - read the ends, note if there is any signs of fuel (they look wet), after you've cranked it over a couple of times. If they are wet (not oily - should smell like gasoline) - then you got fuel. Next is to check for spark. Easiest way to do is in a garage or somewhere you can see a spark (early morning / dusk) - disconnect the injector harnesses (prevent the cylinder from loading up with fuel and accidentally running), disconnect the coil harnesses (give yourself a little room), take the plug out - stick it back into the coil, touch the plug ground strap to the good chassi ground (basically anything metal on the engine/body) - and crank the engine briefly. Should see a spark jump the plug gap. If not - you got to dig a little deeper.

If you get no fuel - your fuel pump may not be getting any power or you could be out of gas (guage is wrong) or have bad gas (water in the tank) or fuel contamination (mixed with diesel or other contaminant). If you get no spark - could be the ECM fuse relay or wiring issue.

I doubt that a 100 amp fuse will cause your symptoms.....maybe if there was no crank as well.

Spray a little starter fluid into the intake and see if it kicks. If yes, troubleshoot the fuel delivery system.

Good luck,

Jay in MA

Ok so my g/f 2001 corolla(150K mi's) just took a crap on her. We believe its the 100 amp fuse, the car won't start, sounds and does everything but no start so we assume this is the cause. Problem is the freakin thing won't come out. Well some of it did while trying to pull it out, as in pieces of the broken fuse. Any idea's? Do we need to take the fuse box out or what.

Edit-

Got it changed, still same old nothing.

You can read some of my posts about trying to get cars started.

I have found everything from bad relays to bad batteries (even though they seemed good).

I recommend getting a good manual for your car and going thru the troubleshooting steps.

You can check for spark, check for fuel, etc. and eventually you will get both.

Electrical faults can cause lack of start as well as bad components.

If the car had been running, then it is usually a matter of finding what part has failed, or what condition is not allowing proper combustion.

Hope this helps.